World Cup 2018

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:56 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 am
There's no such thing as an easy route to winning the World Cup and I doubt we'll win it. We're a lot better as an international team than we've been for a fair while, but so are quite a few/lot of others. Football is as much of a "career" as being a doctor, lawyer or businessman these days, and the lure of money attracts like flies and jampots and produces high levels of skill. Last night didn't really prove much; it wasn't intended to, except that Belgiums second squad are better than ours. The only tests that matter now are the knockout games and midfield possesion is paramount. Give any of our opponents an inch and they'll tear us to bits. We don 't have any individuals of the level of Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo etc, so team-work is our only way forward. It's a big ask.

That said...Come on lads....! :oyea:
Are we? I'll say we will find this out on Tuesday. We've so far just about beaten Tunisia and thumped Panama. Both those sides are league two type level.We've scored 2 goals in open play too. I'm not dissing them, they got through the group which is good. But we can't say we're any better until we see us in a knock out match against a half decent side. That comes Tuesday. After that we can say if progress has been made.
I fully expected you to be negative Insaney, having dodged the point that we've already played and done okay against most of them before the comp started, and that international football has improved somewhat of late: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc.. in a World Cup comp?..and that those bowler-hatted pipe-smoking chaps from the small sceptred isle don't have divine rights to rule in anything anymore. I also made the point we might not win much but a bit of pride back. 1966 is a long time ago.
Its not being negative. Its being realistic. Yes international football no longer has many whipping boys. The standard is high. Panama are the closest thing in the tournament to a free ticket though.

I hope we go out and beat Colombia and show that in doing so we have progressed for the shambles of the past couple of decades. I expect us to. But certainly until we do it, lets not say "we've cracked this". Because the test of whether this lot are better than the last lot, comes Tuesday. Simple as that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:04 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:56 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 am
There's no such thing as an easy route to winning the World Cup and I doubt we'll win it. We're a lot better as an international team than we've been for a fair while, but so are quite a few/lot of others. Football is as much of a "career" as being a doctor, lawyer or businessman these days, and the lure of money attracts like flies and jampots and produces high levels of skill. Last night didn't really prove much; it wasn't intended to, except that Belgiums second squad are better than ours. The only tests that matter now are the knockout games and midfield possesion is paramount. Give any of our opponents an inch and they'll tear us to bits. We don 't have any individuals of the level of Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo etc, so team-work is our only way forward. It's a big ask.

That said...Come on lads....! :oyea:
Are we? I'll say we will find this out on Tuesday. We've so far just about beaten Tunisia and thumped Panama. Both those sides are league two type level.We've scored 2 goals in open play too. I'm not dissing them, they got through the group which is good. But we can't say we're any better until we see us in a knock out match against a half decent side. That comes Tuesday. After that we can say if progress has been made.
I fully expected you to be negative Insaney, having dodged the point that we've already played and done okay against most of them before the comp started, and that international football has improved somewhat of late: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc.. in a World Cup comp?..and that those bowler-hatted pipe-smoking chaps from the small sceptred isle don't have divine rights to rule in anything anymore. I also made the point we might not win much but a bit of pride back. 1966 is a long time ago.
Its not being negative. Its being realistic. Yes international football no longer has many whipping boys. The standard is high. Panama are the closest thing in the tournament to a free ticket though.

I hope we go out and beat Colombia and show that in doing so we have progressed for the shambles of the past couple of decades. I expect us to. But certainly until we do it, lets not say "we've cracked this". Because the test of whether this lot are better than the last lot, comes Tuesday. Simple as that.
Is anybody saying that?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Exactly. TD said we're a lot better than we've been for a while and that's undoubtedly true.

Sure, Tunisia and Panama are bobbins, but there's plenty bobbins lots we've not put away over the past few years.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:25 pm
Exactly. TD said we're a lot better than we've been for a while and that's undoubtedly true.

Sure, Tunisia and Panama are bobbins, but there's plenty bobbins lots we've not put away over the past few years.
Tunisia we scraped past, it was seconds away from being "same old story". Panama we thumped but are the worst, most inexperienced team we've played recently.

Colombia is the test. Can we win a knockout game against a half decent team. That's what we've failed to do for a long time.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:20 am

I'll give you Rashfod didn't have the best of games but come on, Stirling creates space!!!!
Kin hell he's famous in an England shirt for going into blind alleys with or without the bloody ball Rashford is far more a goal threat.
The main point is we are standing off opponents too far instead of being in their face.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Intriguing scrap between France and Argentina. 1-1 at half time. France looking sharpest but unpredictable so far. What happened to the simple foul/free kick bit? What do the simplest foul need yellow cards? Not that Mascherano didn't deserve one, he been in the ref's faces in their games more times than a foam-shave advert. This could get nasty second half when somebody realises losing means homeward bound.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:55 pm

4ucking helllllllll fire!!!

Well, if that's the standard we can come to expect I don't want to miss another kick - and our lads may as well come home now.

What a game #ARGFRA
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:55 pm
4ucking helllllllll fire!!!

Well, if that's the standard we can come to expect I don't want to miss another kick - and our lads may as well come home now.

What a game #ARGFRA
t certainly was a fantastic game. That Mbappe had incredible speed. If we meet them I hope he has on off day. Pleased with the result since I have disliked Argentina for many years and for many reasons.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:07 pm

What a cracking game and result. All the goals had merit, but Pavard's was very special, and the ball Messi crossed for Aguero's goal was sheer class. Totally entertaining top class football, thrilling in fact, right up to the final whistle. Brilliant.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Expecting Spain to beat Russia this afternoon and go through....but you never do know....

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:59 pm

That was a turn up for the books!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:56 pm
Expecting Spain to beat Russia this afternoon and go through....but you never do know....
I really did expect Spain to win, but their possession figures in relation to actual chances made, shots on goal etc, read just a bit unbelievably. In short, they couldn't finish and Russia defended valiently and won it on spot kicks..

"It's goals that count!"....Nick Smith, Rover Comic 1950... :oyea:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
I really did expect Spain to win, but their possession figures in relation to actual chances made, shots on goal etc, read just a bit unbelievably. In short, they couldn't finish and Russia defended valiently and won it on spot kicks..

Had a feeling Russia would do it. Spain are a fading force. And the managerial mess hasn't helped either.

Hierro looked out of his depth.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Had a feeling Russia would do it. Spain are a fading force. And the managerial mess hasn't helped either. Hierro looked out of his depth.
I wouldn't say Spain were a fading force yesterday (granted players like Iniesta - and xavi before him- are reaching age limits,but there are still so many top players around. Their football was brilliant in all but the ability to hit the net. Russia's valient defending and lady luck were the reasons Spain are gone, not anything they, or manager Hiero, did wrong. Just the luck of the draw; Portugal, Argentina, Denmark, now Spain all out of it. Today either Brazil or Mexico will join them. That's the way the enchiladas crackle...so they say. :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:19 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Had a feeling Russia would do it. Spain are a fading force. And the managerial mess hasn't helped either. Hierro looked out of his depth.
I wouldn't say Spain were a fading force yesterday (granted players like Iniesta - and xavi before him- are reaching age limits,but there are still so many top players around. Their football was brilliant in all but the ability to hit the net. Russia's valient defending and lady luck were the reasons Spain are gone, not anything they, or manager Hiero, did wrong. Just the luck of the draw; Portugal, Argentina, Denmark, now Spain all out of it. Today either Brazil or Mexico will join them. That's the way the enchiladas crackle...so they say. :wink:
Their football was very much "not brilliant". If brilliant football consists passing sideways in front of a team then yeah...but Spain were pedestrian. They had no punch, no pace. Russia are the lowest ranked team in the competition and far from a good side. Spain are a fading force. They have Costa a great striker but he needs delivery into the box and their midfield just messes around with it. Silva a superbly clever player but he needs someone with pace in and around the box to supply or a quick footed type to play one two's with.

Hierro stuck with two defensive midfield players in a game that absolutely didn't need them.

What luck did Spain not get? It isn't like in normal play the Russian keeper even had much to do? Spain's goal itself was a fluke.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:16 pm

To be fair the rankings are bullshit and don't forget, you get more coefficient points for 'competitive games' and they didn't have to qualify
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Mexico put up a decent show but I always felt Brazil would take it. Felt really sorry for Japan who played with so much guts and energy. Belgium's first goal was a pure fluke of the highest order. Up to then I thought Japan would pull it off .. They were pushing so hard for the winner it was almost inevitable they'd get hit on the break. They did, but for me go out with a big amount of credit. Things are starting to hot up now, nowhere to hide tomorrow.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Anybody brave enough to make a prediction for tonight? For me it's going to be a toughie; no 6-1's tonight I reckon. One thing we willneed is not to give anything away around the box. These fellas are like ball-bearings on a tray of oil to nail down and I reckon a real high energy display needed from us. I'd play Rose in preference to Young, personally, and go with Rashford before Sterling, but there's no second chances tonight, so good luck to the lads whoever plays. :oyea: :oyea:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:27 pm

It really is, fully, coming home. Isn't it?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:27 pm
It really is, fully, coming home. Isn't it?!
This is the most composed England side I've seen for a long time (yes, I watch every England game, even the women) We were actually playing a very good side tonight even if they were cheats to a man. They pulled every trick in the book and that injury time equaliser was a real kick in the plums. They were deadly dangerous around the box. The lads must have been sick as parrots. Sterling tried, but he just didn't work for me, and we were better when Rose replaced Young. When Henderson stepped up to take the penaly I groaned aloud. Wife asked why? He's a decent footballer but I've seen him sky a few good chances wide and over the top. He must have been gutted, but thankfully our keeper and the crossbar performed heroics and saved the day. Really entertaining game, but I still can't see what the refs are at. Some of the fouls would have brought a charge of assault and battery on the high street. It's got ridiculous and can't be good for the game if this is the new mandate. Bring on Sweden, we owe them a tanking. :oyea: