European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

European Finals.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Congratulations to England. First time a country has all four clubs in the finals.

But, Liverpool v Tottenham in Madrid,and Arsenal v Chelsea in Azerbaijan!
That's ridiculous. Not only is the carbon footprint enormous it's also fxcking expensive for the average fan.

Arsenal v Chelsea should be hosted in Liverpool or Manchester, and Liverpool v Spurs in Glasgow or Cardiff.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: European Finals.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 10, 2019 12:45 pm

And before anybody argues about the 'exotic' nature of a cup final in a foreign location, I bet fewer Scousers have been to Scotland than the Costas.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 10, 2019 12:56 pm

I definitely think the finals' locations should be decided once the teams competing are known.

I'm persuaded by the argument about same country hosting but then half the fun of European competition is visiting different places. Baku is a piss take though.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:56 pm
I definitely think the finals' locations should be decided once the teams competing are known.

I'm persuaded by the argument about same country hosting but then half the fun of European competition is visiting different places. Baku is a piss take though.
I agree it's fun to visit somewhere new/different/exotic. But there should be a sense of proportion.
The finals take place with plenty of time to organise where it should take place after the finalists are known. It wouldn't be a hardship on the organisers, participants, or attendees, so I agree with you on that as well.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

piesrus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by piesrus » Fri May 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Baku is nearer to Mumbai than London.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 10, 2019 1:30 pm

piesrus wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:08 pm
Baku is nearer to Mumbai than London.
On second thoughts, as it's Arsenal v Chelsea, I reckon they should hold it in Mumbai. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I agree it's fun to visit somewhere new/different/exotic. But there should be a sense of proportion.
The finals take place with plenty of time to organise where it should take place after the finalists are known. It wouldn't be a hardship on the organisers, participants, or attendees, so I agree with you on that as well.
They could host the finals in Paris and Madrid say...both accessible. Or Berlin. Or Amsterdam...All very accessible to the UK and be far cheaper for the fans than Baku....

I guess if I was a fan of one of the clubs involved I'd prefer my European final to be in Europe - just to add to the sense of the occassion. Going to Old Trafford might feel a bit anti-climatic.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 10, 2019 2:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

They could host the finals in Paris and Madrid say...both accessible. Or Berlin. Or Amsterdam...All very accessible to the UK and be far cheaper for the fans than Baku....

I guess if I was a fan of one of the clubs involved I'd prefer my European final to be in Europe - just to add to the sense of the occassion. Going to Old Trafford might feel a bit anti-climatic.
Fair enough, how about Douglas?
Oslo. That's the place.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athertonian
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Athertonian » Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Uefa must be easily bribed. Azerbaijan is not a hotbed of football nor will it ever be. Uefa set their stall out before a ball was kicked naming the final venue. It is a diabolical place for a final to be played, As many times as I look at the map, this isn't in Europe, it can't be?
For situations like this plans should be in place for an alternate venue.
Uefa must be pissed right off having their prized trophies dominated by English clubs.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Baku or not. 6000 ticket allocation each for both sides is outrageous.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"