European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: European Finals.

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:54 pm

Is this the best game of football ever?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 pm

Must be up there for the best day
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 pm

I'm having a mare this evening. Switch bbc on and Murrays 2 sets ahead and 5-0 up in the 3rd. The Swiss are 1 up v France on ITV.

I then watched Murray lose 7 games on the spin and the set. Switch over to see France equalise and then go 2-1 up. I felt like feckin LeverEnd!

Murray now through and Swiss fight back for extra time. Lovely stuff
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 pm
I'm having a mare this evening. Switch bbc on and Murrays 2 sets ahead and 5-0 up in the 3rd. The Swiss are 1 up v France on ITV.

I then watched Murray lose 7 games on the spin and the set. Switch over to see France equalise and then go 2-1 up. I felt like feckin LeverEnd!

That’s a carbon copy of my evening. Nipped to the loo after the tennis, then chatted with Miss BP and missed the goals being replayed! 🤦‍♂️

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 pm

Done exactly the bloody same. Managed to see miracle man Murray win though which is more unbelievable than anything we will see in the football.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:46 pm

Superb.

Allez Les Suisses!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:49 pm

Doesn’t matter how many great players you have if you don’t have the spirit and desire. France lacked those. I said the only way they were beaten is their own lack of real desire and that’s what has happened.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Hop off frogs.
Are you watching Napoleon/macaroni

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:56 pm

Only got home in time for the penalties (and what a bunch of penalties), haven't seen a kick all day otherwise. A bowl of Cornies, mug of tea and the highlights it is then. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 pm

Weird game in all. Felt Switzerland were the best team for 65 mins. However France were so utterly, ludicrously, embarrassingly better than the Swiss for that 25 minute spell in the second half you wondered where that had been the whole game. For Switzerland to then claw it back was testimony to their self belief as much as it is to France's subconscious decision to let the foot off the pedal.

What a bloody game

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:25 pm

Xhaka was unbelievable tonight.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:25 pm
Xhaka was unbelievable tonight.
Hopefully added some value to what we will get for him!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:49 am

England team tonight has supposedly leaked and is a 343

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Trippier Rice Phillips Shaw
Foden Sterling
Kane

If that is the team then Rice needs to look at what Xhaka did and recreate it. We can’t have a static midfield in that system they need to be all over the pitch up and down and getting forwards. It needs all action international midfield displays. Certainly no room for a static midfield holder in there. Or we will get absolutely pegged.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:49 am

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Foden Sterling
Kane

If that is the team then Rice needs to look at what Xhaka did and recreate it. We can’t have a static midfield in that system they need to be all over the pitch up and down and getting forwards. It needs all action international midfield displays. Certainly no room for a static midfield holder in there. Or we will get absolutely pegged.
That's really not a very adventurous lineup, is it? Essentially playing seven defensive players and three offensive. I can't see us scoring with that team on the pitch - the best I'd hope for would be to keep it at 0-0 and then get more adventurous towards the end of the game.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:49 pm
Doesn’t matter how many great players you have if you don’t have the spirit and desire. France lacked those. I said the only way they were beaten is their own lack of real desire and that’s what has happened.
Big shout out to the sh1t-houses that are the French team: only about 1 member of the squad made the effort to console Mbappe after his pen miss - rest of them just left him on his own to leave the pitch whilst they wallowed in their own self-absorbed entitled arrogant pity.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:49 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:30 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Foden Sterling
Kane

That's really not a very adventurous lineup, is it? Essentially playing seven defensive players and three offensive. I can't see us scoring with that team on the pitch - the best I'd hope for would be to keep it at 0-0 and then get more adventurous towards the end of the game.
Like I say we need to see Rice play like an actual midfield player. If he’s good as some claim he won’t have trouble playing like Xhaka did and driving England forward and covering ground all over the pitch. Down to him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 am

The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Foden Sterling
Kane

My thoughts exactly - we're going for the counter attack with that set-up, and with a currently out-of-sorts CF up top.

I mean, if it works then fine, I'm sure none of us will mind us providing a sobering antidote to all the exhilaration of yesterday's games, but I think we could well be in for a long, frustrating evening.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:29 am
A glorious football evening. France threw it away, the Swiss were heroic and now France,Portugal and Holland are all out. Amazing. Effectively it's one of Us, Germany, Belgium, Italy or Spain (who were impressive to say the least), but then again....Quien Sabes?

Tonight is our turn in the spotlight. Bring it on.. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 am
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Foden Sterling
Kane

My thoughts exactly - we're going for the counter attack with that set-up, and with a currently out-of-sorts CF up top.

I mean, if it works then fine, I'm sure none of us will mind us providing a sobering antidote to all the exhilaration of yesterday's games, but I think we could well be in for a long, frustrating evening.
David Ornstein (generally a highly reliable source) says Mount and Saka will start in place of Foden and Shaw in that 3-4-3. That would definitely be preferable.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:05 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:59 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 am
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Foden Sterling
Kane

David Ornstein (generally a highly reliable source) says Mount and Saka will start in place of Foden and Shaw in that 3-4-3. That would definitely be preferable.
As I read it TG he seems to suggest Mount won't start.