European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: European Finals.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 pm
All teams miss chances. Fortunately it's about the ones you don't miss rather than the ones you do.
We have the benefit of the fact that no team in this tournament has been consistently brilliant.

If we can win it all playing at the same level we are at now, fair enough. I think we need to be better.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:22 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:11 pm
Can I just be one happy England supporter? ae:)

Beating Germany 2-0 at this stage of the Euro and clean sheets right through. Yep, I'm happy. Big plaudits for Pickford's superb keeping. :pray:
No, you can't just be one happy England supporter. I'm fcuking delighted so there at least two of us!

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Ah, go on then, I'll share.. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 pm
I agree but every game is a test. We’ve seen enough evidence from Switzerland of that already.
Yup. They will bury the chances Germany missed.
All teams miss chances. Fortunately it's about the ones you don't miss rather than the ones you do. Regardless of whether us folks sat in the proverbial armchairs could do it better, it's a results business. Southgate's results in tournaments has been pretty good compared to other England managers, and we were to win the quarters, I think he'd be the only manager to get us to semi finals in both WC and Euros. Of course, no other managers had the Nations Cup, but he got us to the semi finals there too. That's not withstanding that he doesn't have the golden generation available to him. :-)
Yeah I mean I don’t think he’s some tactics genius but the players seem to want to work for him. It’s a bit turgid. But it works. Win it that way and literally nobody cares. When we stepped up onto Germany in the middle of the park it was noticeable we looked dangerous. I’d like to see us do that more often.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:10 pm

Right who do we want to win this? Obviously ideally whoever does after extra time and penalties. Feeling I have is Sweden will be tougher to play against.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:14 pm
Fair enough. It’s been a long and tough day.

feck it. Let’s grab a beer and celebrate beating the Germans! 🍻
I hope you're not encouraging drinking...

Far be it from me…… 🍺 🍻 🍺

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:14 pm
Fair enough. It’s been a long and tough day.

feck it. Let’s grab a beer and celebrate beating the Germans! 🍻
I hope you're not encouraging drinking...

Far be it from me…… 🍺 🍻 🍺
Good man!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
All teams miss chances. Fortunately it's about the ones you don't miss rather than the ones you do.
We have the benefit of the fact that no team in this tournament has been consistently brilliant.

If we can win it all playing at the same level we are at now, fair enough. I think we need to be better.
I'd hope for better too. :-) I think the team he's selected are capable of better. But. We beat Germany by 2 clear goals in a tournament, you can put that down to luck, but we had more shots on target (the only type you score from) and put more of them in the onion bag. What's looks to have become a little clearer, is that he's nearer his preferred XI - for better or worse - and for me that's an improvement. Were all the teams consistently brilliant in 1966? I dunno, but I suspect no one actually cares...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:54 pm
We beat Germany by 2 clear goals in a tournament, you can put that down to luck
I don't. I think he saw that Germany struggled against teams that matched their system and he made some good choices. However, I do think he's holding back this group of players from how good they could be and he's just a bit dull.

It's international football and I am delighted with progression. If we win the whole thing that's fantastic and I'll dance in the streets.

Southgate seems to be a good man manager and he says the right things to the press.

There's plenty to praise.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:24 pm

It's a great win and there's a great chance they can get to the semis now. Germany are big hitters and it's always good to beat them but they are in transition at the moment. Italy and Belgium have got to be the clear favourites now but we're in there with a chance.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:54 pm
We beat Germany by 2 clear goals in a tournament, you can put that down to luck
I don't. I think he saw that Germany struggled against teams that matched their system and he made some good choices. However, I do think he's holding back this group of players from how good they could be and he's just a bit dull.

It's international football and I am delighted with progression. If we win the whole thing that's fantastic and I'll dance in the streets.

Southgate seems to be a good man manager and he says the right things to the press.

There's plenty to praise.
Agree with that. I will also say in Southgate’s defence that perhaps the midfield he has is forcing his hand a little. Foden needs quality on the ball and movement to work with and Phillips and Rice aren’t Gundogan and Silva etc. Grealish perhaps is a little inexperienced to have the same role he does at Villa and perhaps he fears we don’t have the base for that.

Rice and Phillips played well today because the setup allowed their limited roles to sort of block it up. They will in my view look far worse against teams who sit off us as Sweden may do.

I think Southgate is a good man manager and that’s a huge thing. I think he’s relatively steady and solid and probably pragmatic enough to avoid disastrous results. It just as a fan doesn’t feel very motivating to watch England omit their most technical players to play a much more cautious game. But that’s our problem. We’ve lost semi finals with swashbuckling managers and if we go one better with more caution then who cares how we play?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm

The proof is in the pudding. If Southgate gets us to a final or wins it, then boring is worth it. If we get knocked out in the next round then, for me, it's not.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm

I still cannot believe that Kane goal wasn’t called offside I was convinced VAR was going to rule it out and they would equalize. Better team won… which was england. Against ze Germans. Soak that up!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:38 pm

The only real bit of luck England got today was the Muller miss. It was a big stroke of luck but Sterling gifted them the chance in the first place. It was pivotal. But I think we deserve it for the luck they’ve had against us down the years.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:47 pm

Wow. Day gets better and better for England.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:47 pm
Howso, Sir?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:12 pm

AET, injuries and suspensions for our next opponents?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Howso, Sir?
Next up we have Sweden or Ukraine. Gone to extra time. Couldn’t be better.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:17 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Howso, Sir?
Next up we have Sweden or Ukraine. Gone to extra time. Couldn’t be better.
Gotcha. You had my hopes up for a two team COVID outbreak in the 119th minute, giving us a bye! I mean, as much chance of that as us beating Germany in a tourny, surely? :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:34 pm

Ukraine it is. They have some tidy players and absolutely do not ever take anything for granted. But if you can’t beat them….

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:16 am

There are no bad teams left in the tournament. They've all got decent players and are fairly well set up.

Saying that, you'd rather face Ukraine or the Czechs if you had a choice. Like Insane says, if we can't beat them....