European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: European Finals.

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:16 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:02 pm
Honestly might be the best day of my life. So good I don't think he can change it can he?

You win anything now but not conceded a goal, properly good performance against, by no means a great team, but a QF, and the main man is at it.

It's coming home
If Saka is fit then I think that’s the call. Him or Sancho. I think Saka adds something personally against a team like Denmark. But we will see.
You don't like football.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:21 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:06 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:16 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:02 pm
Honestly might be the best day of my life. So good I don't think he can change it can he?

You win anything now but not conceded a goal, properly good performance against, by no means a great team, but a QF, and the main man is at it.

It's coming home
If Saka is fit then I think that’s the call. Him or Sancho. I think Saka adds something personally against a team like Denmark. But we will see.
You don't like football.
There's a reason we often don't let 30 year olds run owt. It's because they generally talk idealistic bollocks and haven't delivered anything tangible in any sort of repeatable manner. There are of course exceptions.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:02 am

The finest England performance in my lifetime. I'm totally blown away by how fearless and talented some of these young lads are. There's a togetherness and they're hitting good form at just the right time. We'll never have a better chance....
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:53 am

Great show all round against a far from rubbish side in Ukraine. Dead ball deliveries aside, I wasn't quite as impressed with Shaw as some seem to be. Pickford was his competent self,Phillips was immense in his energy and harassing of the opposition and the back line were solid with Maguire outstanding. Sancho not quite as dominant as Saka, Sterling blew hot and cold, but in general a competent sound performance with H right on form.I think we'll take Denmark, after that...que sera...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:35 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:53 am
Great show all round against a far from rubbish side in Ukraine. Dead ball deliveries aside, I wasn't quite as impressed with Shaw as some seem to be. Pickford was his competent self,Phillips was immense in his energy and harassing of the opposition and the back line were solid with Maguire outstanding. Sancho not quite as dominant as Saka, Sterling blew hot and cold, but in general a competent sound performance with H right on form.I think we'll take Denmark, after that...que sera...
I’d agree with most of that. I’m not Shaw’s biggest fan but thought he was great all round last night. A superb modern full back performance.

The rest I think yep. Sancho played well and had some great touches but think he’s being a tad overhyped he did relatively little to hurt Ukraine beyond some great movement. Definitely a talent but I think Saka did equally well against Germany.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:13 pm

Shaw's only weakness is when he is asked to play possession football under pressure. When he can play going forward he is excellent.

Every player performed yesterday and I've nothing negative to say about them. Just a thoroughly enjoyable weekend.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:38 pm

https://youtu.be/icxEXm-jjKQ

For people of a certain vintage this will most certainly get those neck hairs erect.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:42 pm

So, Italy or Spain for the final?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Flip a coin, I reckon. I'd have said Italy to shade it before Spinazzola got injured.

Both very good until the final third where they're v ropey. Italy world class in defence, Spain world class in the middle, probably comes down to who takes their chances.

A long-fought 120 minute slog would do me!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Genuinely forgot there was a game tonight. :lol:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Italy in Extra Time
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:04 pm

Semi Finals are often hard to predict. I'd say that Italy have more in their legs in theory having avoided extra time against Belgium in what was I thought, considering the magnitude and quality of both sides, a reasonably comfortable win. Spain have played 2 games both to extra time.

Spinazzola though has been so so good and I fear for Italy that he's a massive loss. So perhaps extra time and a tight affair. Which suits us down to the ground.

Do not underestimate the impact of extra time and penalties on mental and physical freshness. This is the first time England have reached a semi final since 66 that hasn't involved extra time at all - and I think that's massive. If we can make the final without needing it that will be a huge advantage over either, especially if their game, hopefully goes, all the way.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Lots at stake here now, so just an opinion without conviction.

Ciellini has been outstanding for Italy, but he won't be allowed to organise and work from the back against Spain's eager beavers, although, that said,I'm expecting a slower more cautious approach from both sides. First half should be a bit unadventurous because both are so quick on the break. Insigne and Immobile are the two Italians to watch up front, although in truth I'm as familiar with supermarket delicatessen online dishes ordering as I am with most of the team. Bonucci sounds like a Maffia hit man from The Godfather.

Morata has been blowing hot and cold for Spain, so que sera..? Jordi Alba and Busquets are the only really familiar names to me since Sergio Ramos, Iniesta, Xavi, Torres and co departed the international scene. The Spaniards always put a class team out. Both sides are Hollywood class agony fakers, so...

Like Prufrock said, heads or tails...?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:28 pm

What a semi final this is. Absolutely top draw stuff. Spain only need a striker. Italy’s mental strength and team spirit is scary.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:38 pm

Great game and good goal though cheap one to give away I think. Great finish by Morata

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:51 pm

Banging.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:28 pm
What a semi final this is. Absolutely top draw stuff. Spain only need a striker. Italy’s mental strength and team spirit is scary.
Let's see if it extends to the shootout. Or is there a Baggio moment coming up?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:41 pm

Absolute stones on the man to take a pen like that for the winner.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:41 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:28 pm
Let's see if it extends to the shootout. Or is there a Baggio moment coming up?
You just knew it would. These sorts of teams are horrible. 33 games unbeaten. Can play well and win. When they don’t play well they are very very hard to beat. Didn’t deserve it for anything other than their mentality and absolute will to win.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:42 pm

How cool was that last penalty for Italy?