European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: European Finals.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:31 am

Also it wasn’t a penalty. Sterling’s knee was definitely clipped but that’s not a penalty. It also isn’t a dive either.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:33 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am
Someone's going to have to explain this VAR business to me though. How on earth is it not a 'clear and obvious error' if the referee awards a penalty that he quite clearly and obviously shouldn't have? :conf:
It’s probably how VAR should be used to be honest. There was contact as the defender came across. Is that clear and obvious? It wasn’t a penalty but the ref shouldn’t have given it. When you watch the replay as VAR did you can see the defenders knee clip Sterling’s. I think under the Euro 2020 VAR interpretation that would constitute ‘not clear and obvious’.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:40 am

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:53 am

I thought the better team overall won - they spent from about 75 minutes on just giving away petty fouls to stop our attacks as their tanks were empty. Sunday will be similar I think - who can last longest?

Wasn’t a pen for me, but That free kick / free kick for them was a load of shite as well. Evened itself out over the match and better team won.

Sterling Kane and Kyle Walker all faultless…how sterling was still running on 120inutes I have no idea.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:03 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:53 am
I thought the better team overall won - they spent from about 75 minutes on just giving away petty fouls to stop our attacks as their tanks were empty. Sunday will be similar I think - who can last longest?

Wasn’t a pen for me, but That free kick / free kick for them was a load of shite as well. Evened itself out over the match and better team won.

Sterling Kane and Kyle Walker all faultless…how sterling was still running on 120inutes I have no idea.
Also I think Kane’s probably was a pen. As Gary Lineker says England have had no luck. This time we deserve a little.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:04 am

Oh, also,

It's at this stage of the competition that Morag's suddenly developed an interest.

"So are England kicking it towards the man in green or the man in yellow?"
“Have Denmark got more players than England?”
“That little black lad’s brilliant, isn’t he?!”
“So what’s the difference between added time and extra time?”
“That’s your sixth bottle of beer”.

I think I might watch the final round at my mate's ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:16 am

Mates might be best bet. Pub was full of professional, I assume out of work, Managers.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:19 am

What happened? Did we win?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:22 am

Oh my fookin days. A Tournament Final..............!!

I'm beside myself. I get emotional when I'm hungover anyway, but watching clips and replays of last night is making well up.

Yes, we got slightly lucky with the pen, but we should have had one in normal time anyway, so overall justice and all that.

We were the better team and whilst I felt nervous as hell every time they ventured into our box, looking back, I thought we restricted them to few chances and we had ourselves a good number and were worthy of the win.

Southgate ultimately got the calls right, but I still think some fresh legs and runners earlier on would have won us the game in normal time.

Bring on Sunday. Bring. It. On.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:13 pm

Harry Kane, the thinking man's Dean Holdsworth.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:17 pm

So much hungover welling up today. That little girl's face when Mount gave her his shirt. Christ.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:43 pm

All's fair in love and football. It was a rough, tough scrap against a physical determined team and we gave as good as we got. Walker, Stones, Rice and Phillips gave their all, Maguire, Sterling and Kane were brilliant, as was young Foden when he came on.Still a bit unsure about Shaw, who doesn't seem to want the ball, but that's a matter of opinion, and goalie-man didn't have his best day.(too much wellying the ball aimlessly into la-la land, he can't do that against the Italians as it's just asking for trouble).Their free kick (took a dead ball situation to score against us) was a cracker, so fair do's.

Grealish didn't work so well, but Henderson adds something. Sancho or Saka, heads or tails. Hope we're having throw-in practise, because we need it. All said, it was never going to be easy and very well done the lads. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:51 pm

I thought it was a foul myself. The first defender makes contact with his knee and the second defender follows it up with a barge to the hip despite having no prospect of winning possession.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:45 pm

Soft, but not a dive, there's contact twice but but much to it. Not enough to overturn either way.

What happened with the Kane one in normal time. That looked absolute stonewall? Did he give it for a foul before or (as it seemed) for a foul *by* Kane?!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:45 pm
Soft, but not a dive, there's contact twice but but much to it. Not enough to overturn either way.

What happened with the Kane one in normal time. That looked absolute stonewall? Did he give it for a foul before or (as it seemed) for a foul *by* Kane?!
I think he gave it for diving - Kane did leave his leg in somewhat but still for me it was a foul. Like with the actual pen, again I didn't expect VAR to overturn the decision and award it.

The media hatred of Sterling is of course clouding discussions. It was a soft award. But he clearly wasn't cheating - and the fact some insinuate he was is only motivated by either dislike of the national team or Sterling himself. Its pretty perfect that Sterling is player of the tournament and the ire only looks even more silly against that fact.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Can't be that as he didn't book Kane did he?

I haven't seen it again with a clear head but it looked absolutely nailed on to me. I thought he'd given it for a very soft foul by maybe Phillips just before but they didn't seem to take the free kick from there.

Sterling wouldn't have been in my team at the start of the tournament, and I think up until last night goals have covered some ropey performances but he was sensational last night. Utterly, utterly unplayable. Think he and Saka are too similar though. Think the balance looked better with one going in behind, one to feet and Kane doing what he wants.

John Stones has been absolutely immaculate throughout too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Its tricky cos when Foden came on you could see his quality and I'd say technically and whatever else he's our 'best player' in that position. But the way he plays doesn't suit the way Kane is playing and he really needs Grealish and maybe another more technically able midfield player and Sterling running in behind to make him effective.

So I think we'll likely stick with Saka and Sterling - because Italy won't fancy them running at them. If they get going they aren't easy to stop without fouling them and we are a side who could exploit set pieces.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm

He has, and quietly so that he maybe doesn't get the notice he should. With Maguire and Walker, all three have been great. Still not sure about Shaw. He gets in positions, receives the balls but almost always sends it back whence it came. Probably not feasible, but even at 31 I always liked Danny Rose at left back..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:42 pm
Prufrock wrote:

He has, and quietly so that he maybe doesn't get the notice he should. With Maguire and Walker, all three have been great. Still not sure about Shaw. He gets in positions, receives the balls but almost always sends it back whence it came. Probably not feasible, but even at 31 I always liked Danny Rose at left back..
I think Shaw (who I had doubts over pre-tournament) has been bloody great. A real attacking outlet. He balances well with the more defensive focussed Walker.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:53 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:42 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I think Shaw (who I had doubts over pre-tournament) has been bloody great. A real attacking outlet. He balances well with the more defensive focussed Walker.
The only thing I'd add to this is 1) I thought he was pushing 30 because he's been around for ever :-) and 2) he seems to be more attacking for Utd. Part of why the left wasn't looking good early doors, is the ball would head into Sterling and his options were negligible as Shaw wasn't overlapping too often and Kane was like a lamp-post in the middle...