European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: European Finals.

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:18 am

Still feels like it's "despite" Gareth but f*CK me. Struggling to articulate it as I don't believe in luck but it has strong Napoleon lucky general over good. It's opened up. The next ten days sees another classic horror show to add to the list, or a major final at Wembley. And the only team you'd gear gone on France. Ideal is for Belgium to get past Italy and Spain by breaking De Bruyne and Hazard.

Had a world class sick on the way home from the pub. The bliss of a tactical as England 2-0 Germany dawned on me. Think I flew home.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 am

I'm definitely not the biggest fan of this style, but you can't question its effectiveness. Southgate himself admitted that he'd be 'dead' if they didn't win with that team, so he knows he's not winning many fans from a style perspective.

You'd have to fancy us to beat Ukraine really, although it seems very likely we'll go in cautiously once more. We've opened up at a best price of 1/2 to win in normal time - comfortably the strongest favourites of all the quarter finalists.

Will we now stick with three at the back for the remainder of the tournament? I'm slightly conflicted, as although I would very much like to see more of our attacking talent get game time, I do like the trio of Stones, Maguire and Walker.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:05 am

Horrible way to go out for the Swedes; worse than on penalties I'd say.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:49 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 am
I'm definitely not the biggest fan of this style, but you can't question its effectiveness. Southgate himself admitted that he'd be 'dead' if they didn't win with that team, so he knows he's not winning many fans from a style perspective.

You'd have to fancy us to beat Ukraine really, although it seems very likely we'll go in cautiously once more. We've opened up at a best price of 1/2 to win in normal time - comfortably the strongest favourites of all the quarter finalists.

Will we now stick with three at the back for the remainder of the tournament? I'm slightly conflicted, as although I would very much like to see more of our attacking talent get game time, I do like the trio of Stones, Maguire and Walker.
I thought his interview showed good awareness. The test comes if we go 1-0 down to a half decent side - can we change how we play to get back in games? Perhaps we'll not concede a goal and we'll not have to but you probably need to be able to win games all different ways in these things.

System is an interesting one as I thought it suited Maguire and Stones particularly and they looked very comfortable in it. It also encouraged the wingbacks to push on whereas they seemed reticent to do so in a 4. So I think in some ways it helped. What I noted was when our centre midfield stepped up and engaged Germany to win the ball back higher up we looked a better side and the 3 at the back system was effective. When we didn't do that it was far less so. The other thing is Saka and Sterling are obviously designed to cut inside and that was effective at times because their wing backs kept the game stretched. I suspect in a 4231 we would be better with them on the other side but Gareth doesn't seem to like that. So for me to some extent the system better balanced how we played but is heavily contingent on the midfield two putting in a lot of work and abandoning their safe screening roles - they did this at times but not consistently.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:51 pm

It's another day, and it's been shit at work, but the sun has shone and I'm still happy. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:53 pm

I re-watched one of my favourite docu-films last night - One Night in Turin. Watch it every so often - as it just brings back Italia 90 and the whole time period so vividly - and that was without doubt the best world cup I've ever known (and been at),

Still can't watch this without 'moist eyes'

Bobby Robson is probably my all time footballing hero. But I was as watching it thinking of the parallels between the manager for this campaign and 1990 - Southgate a manager not especially liked for his football style - Robson was the same in 90 - but both seem to absolutely care deeply about their players and have that rare ability to form incredibly strong team bonds very quickly. Southgate not as hounded by the media as Robson but then much of that hounding is now directed towards the players generally. Both managers also had/have supposed favourites and rely on experience but seem willing to throw younger players in too. Both seem to take the route of quiet dignity too rather than screaming at people.

There is quite a lot of similarity and I'd never really thought of it before. Just a random observation but throwing it out there - and now we cannot lose in the semis to the Germans it seems safe to make the comparison.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:33 pm

A chat:

Totally without conviction; borrowing the Royal "We", one might be tempted to think Italy, Spain, Czech Republic and our good selves "could" be the last four left in the semis. Then again it might all get turned on its head in this unpredictable tournament.

If De Bruyne and Eden Hazard are fit, then that could have a sizeable bearing on their game.
I've always liked Andriy Shevchenko from his playing days, and he'll be doing his best to motivate the Ukraines to take out England.

It might be thought (Germany apart) we have had a favourable passage, but that was yesterday's thinking before Switzerland took out France and Portugal and Holland fell by the wayside. Our clean sheets record ( plus decent form) so far gives hope it might just be our turn, but again, It's a brave man/woman, who'll risk their hard-earned at the bookies counters or online.

Tonight will clear the air a little, but...

Thoughts.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:33 pm
A chat:

Totally without conviction; borrowing the Royal "We", one might be tempted to think Italy, Spain, Czech Republic and our good selves "could" be the last four left in the semis. Then again it might all get turned on its head in this unpredictable tournament.

If De Bruyne and Eden Hazard are fit, then that could have a sizeable bearing on their game.
I've always liked Andriy Shevchenko from his playing days, and he'll be doing his best to motivate the Ukraines to take out England.

It might be thought (Germany apart) we have had a favourable passage, but that was yesterday's thinking before Switzerland took out France and Portugal and Holland fell by the wayside. Our clean sheets record ( plus decent form) so far gives hope it might just be our turn, but again, It's a brave man/woman, who'll risk their hard-earned at the bookies counters or online.

Tonight will clear the air a little, but...

Thoughts.
Denmark are surely favourites to beat the Czechs? I wouldn't pay much attention to FIFA rankings but Denmark are ranked 10th and Czechs down at 40. And at least on evidence so far Denmark look the better side.

I don't think you can take any game for granted but I'd say Ukraine is the best we could hope for in a quarter final - doesn't mean we'll win, but we really really should do.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:24 pm

Denmark are surely favourites to beat the Czechs?
I'm not so sure about that. We'll see... ae:)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Denmark 11/10
Czechs 3/1

If you think that's wrong you've got an opportunity to make some cash...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'd imagine the Dutch were too. 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well yeah. I meant on paper. Anyone can beat anyone now. But form and recent history would mark Denmark favourites.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:35 pm

There have been some shocking red cards in this tournament not overturned.

That's probably the worst.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:35 pm

Blatant favouritism ...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:35 pm

There has to be a blatant mistake. Not sure that would come under that. Never a red but you can argue that under the rules as they are now it is.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:02 pm

I really don't think you can. A nonsense. I can see why Michael Oliver gave it but then his feet are down and he doesn't catch him with the naturally top one.

I assume var was worst ref ever Stuart Atwell. Took him about 30 secs. We're so bad at it

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:50 pm

All that tension and effort to go out by missing three penalties. It was in the bag for the Swiss, despite having ten men and Spain far away the best team. The end result is never a surprise, but it isn't always the best team that wins.

Jan Somers, man of the match by a mile in any language.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:46 pm

Remind me again how there's nothing special about this Italian side.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Wonderful football match, this.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:15 pm

Imagine entrusting an ex-Wigan manager to be in the charge of your golden generation for 5 years