European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: European Finals.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:20 pm

One of the best own goals you'll ever see, that. What an assist.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:19 pm

Isak channeling Elmander at Wolves with the pullback and murdering three Spain defenders in cold blood. Shame berg couldn't finish.

Interesting game, the low block v high press roars on forever more
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:32 pm

Isak was excellent. Danielson was man of the match by a country mile. Cajuste is a unit and I'd like to see more of him.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:57 am

Despite flair, skill, domination and possession , it's still "goals that counts", as ever was in football. I was impressed with the young Spanish winger Pedri?, who toiled ceaselessly in the heat. Spain, despite losing Sergio Ramos to serious injury and Captain Busquets to Covid,are deadly ominous skill-wise, can keep possession forever and if they score against you...

The rest of the games are still a hotch-potch of uncertainty as yet, with nothing taken for granted (Netherlands game as example). The Germany group is a real killer one, but there's no easy passage anywhere .All still to play for and we need to beat Scotland as the next step.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 am

Aye Tango, I didn't realise how strong that Germany group was until yesterday. Glad we aren't in it! Agree also Spain did look good but lacked the ruthlessness associated with top teams. Credit to Sweden though, defended and kept very well (and almost scored on the break a few times)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:05 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 am
Aye Tango, I didn't realise how strong that Germany group was until yesterday. Glad we aren't in it! Agree also Spain did look good but lacked the ruthlessness associated with top teams. Credit to Sweden though, defended and kept very well (and almost scored on the break a few times)
You probably wouldn't want to be Hungary. Although would be great to spring a surprise.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:13 pm

You only need to win one game to have a more than decent chance of going through. Germany are bad. Very bad. You'd have an eye on that game if you were Hungary.

It's a farce how they've dicked around with it though. The tournament where no-one ever goes home.

52 teams start, 24 qualify. And of those 16 get out of the groups.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:13 pm
You only need to win one game to have a more than decent chance of going through. Germany are bad. Very bad. You'd have an eye on that game if you were Hungary.

It's a farce how they've dicked around with it though. The tournament where no-one ever goes home.

52 teams start, 24 qualify. And of those 16 get out of the groups.
Oh, Prufrock, Prufrock. Germany have been bad before. Very bad... I know they've been beaten by Northern Macedonia and belted by Spain recently. But this is a finals, and as the saying goes, never give a mug a chance!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Ha! I get the worry. But they're not bad in a classic German way. Uninspired but hard work, organised and somehow get through by sheer force of will. They've tried (I say tried, the won the world cup tbf) to go the Spain way. Dominate the ball but at a high intensity. And they don't have the players for it anymore.

I'd honestly love them in the last 16 (given the alternatives look like France or Portugal). What an opportunity to lay some demons to rest.

Feel free of course to throw this back in my face in a couple of weeks (or even tonight if the beat a French team I have called world class in all areas :D)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Gutted for Hungary. They almost played their perfect game. Some tidy, quick forwards and big man up top who won free kicks giving them outs. I really enjoyed that match.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 pm

Is it just me peed off with this plethora of female pundits trying to sound knowledgeable about these games?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 pm
Is it just me peed off with this plethora of female pundits trying to sound knowledgeable about these games?
Hit and miss, like with the blokes. Emma Hayes knows what she is talking about. Aluko is awful.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Pavard got a light version of the Battiston treatment there!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 pm

I feel for Mads Hummels. Given the impossible job of keeping France at bay and yet did it....but scored an own goal and has cost his side the game.

Both of those sides will put in better performances this campaign. The French have about seven more gears and the Germans one or two.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:04 pm

France looked very comfortable. I think they've got more years. Two close VARs from a comfortable win.

I'm not sure Germany do.

Portugal were pretty uninspiring too but did a job. If they beat Germany that final game against Hungary could be fun.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Germany were organised at the back, which is better than they have been recently. Their issues are not figuring out how to get Kimmich into the middle of the park and their inability to find balance in attack.

For me it's all about Kimmich. The whole thing. If they get him back in the middle then their other mids will feel far more confident taking risks with the ball and they'll be a much better side. Can't see Low doing it, though, because he's also their best player when he's on the right.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:33 pm

I thought he was utterly wasted out there but he was also there to help out Ginter against Mbappe.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rudiger get banned. Ginter nowhere near it. Hummels class is still there but wow is time catching up. You get in front against them and you win. Thought France were v comfortable even with the Deschamps hand brake on, and the nerves don't lose of an opening game.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Thought Germany tried to be too clever in the last quarter of the pitch.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:59 pm

France are just a top side in every position. I think this German side can be better, but like I say they need to put their best player in his best position and find other solutions.

Low will think he played a blinder, though. They lost to an own goal against the best team in the world.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:43 am

The deceptively young looking Griezmann (he's 30) was my man of the match, which was erratic enough to be entertaining. Both French offside goals we unlucky because they were well worked and Pogba had a good game right through. Plenty football, both team and individual, and could have gone either way in the end. A tough segment to be in.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?