European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: European Finals.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm

The dick with the green laser. I hope they find them and ban them for life...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:53 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:42 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm

John Stones has been absolutely immaculate throughout too.
He has, and quietly so that he maybe doesn't get the notice he should. With Maguire and Walker, all three have been great. Still not sure about Shaw. He gets in positions, receives the balls but almost always sends it back whence it came. Probably not feasible, but even at 31 I always liked Danny Rose at left back..
I think Shaw (who I had doubts over pre-tournament) has been bloody great. A real attacking outlet. He balances well with the more defensive focussed Walker.
The only thing I'd add to this is 1) I thought he was pushing 30 because he's been around for ever :-) and 2) he seems to be more attacking for Utd. Part of why the left wasn't looking good early doors, is the ball would head into Sterling and his options were negligible as Shaw wasn't overlapping too often and Kane was like a lamp-post in the middle...
By earlier do you mean earlier in the tournament? If so I entirely agree. But I thought last night he got forward well from the start. I think the full backs ability to get forward is always limited by the quality of possession you have. He can't bomb on if you're continually losing it. So as game went on and possession quality increased then Shaw and Walker to a lesser extent had more ability to go beyond their wide players. Its when England look best.

Now it does raise the question of whether we go 343 Saturday - to perhaps aid the quality of our possession and security when we lose it? For me the first half hour or so yesterday - if that happens against the Italians could easily be 1 or 2 down and in big trouble.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
You have to wonder about the mentality of someone who does that. Appalling behaviour.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
You have to wonder about the mentality of someone who does that. Appalling behaviour.
Lunatic behaviour. Somebody nearby should shop them. Little chance of finding them otherwise. Trouble is, one incident labels all the England fans as cheats. I remember one clown using one of these things lasering the pilot of a passenger plane. Why are they on sale even?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:03 pm

It was happening in the last world cup too and the Euro's in France
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:06 pm

It's a dick move and I hope they catch them but all the sanctimonious feckers on the internet can sod off. It's not crime of the century.

It's only two years since we nearly had a game called off mid-game in Montenegro for racist chanting.

Apparently one reason they are sold is because you shine then into the lens of a telescope and you can see where it's pointing. Fun fact I learnt today!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:06 pm
It's a dick move and I hope they catch them but all the sanctimonious feckers on the internet can sod off. It's not crime of the century.

It's only two years since we nearly had a game called off mid-game in Montenegro for racist chanting.

Apparently one reason they are sold is because you shine then into the lens of a telescope and you can see where it's pointing. Fun fact I learnt today!
An individual doing something ridiculous will always be used to tar everyone else by opponents or people looking for a rise online. It was a bad thing to do and can't really get why someone would do it, but it was one person.

I'm more bothered that you see some supposed England fans on twitter more bothered about Sterling 'not being fouled' than they are by being in a major final. You start to see the scale of the problem we have in society in this country. Booing taking a knee is just the tip of the iceberg.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:40 am
https://twitter.com/ranorn198/status/14 ... 20901?s=21

That’s the contact for clarity.
I've never seen anything quite so selective.

The fuller picture shows Sterling to already be on his way down like he's been rabbit-punched at that point.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:40 am
https://twitter.com/ranorn198/status/14 ... 20901?s=21

That’s the contact for clarity.
I've never seen anything quite so selective.

The fuller picture shows Sterling to already be on his way down like he's been rabbit-punched at that point.
How I see it is he is jinking through and contact with the knee combined with the hip bump on the other side sends him over. The thing is at pace the knee contact is probably enough to send him over.

I think it was a soft award. But in no way did he dive. It was a thing you see hundreds of times a season the ref was not very good. That’s about it far as I see it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:52 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:53 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:42 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm

John Stones has been absolutely immaculate throughout too.
He has, and quietly so that he maybe doesn't get the notice he should. With Maguire and Walker, all three have been great. Still not sure about Shaw. He gets in positions, receives the balls but almost always sends it back whence it came. Probably not feasible, but even at 31 I always liked Danny Rose at left back..
I think Shaw (who I had doubts over pre-tournament) has been bloody great. A real attacking outlet. He balances well with the more defensive focussed Walker.
The only thing I'd add to this is 1) I thought he was pushing 30 because he's been around for ever :-) and 2) he seems to be more attacking for Utd. Part of why the left wasn't looking good early doors, is the ball would head into Sterling and his options were negligible as Shaw wasn't overlapping too often and Kane was like a lamp-post in the middle...
By earlier do you mean earlier in the tournament? If so I entirely agree. But I thought last night he got forward well from the start. I think the full backs ability to get forward is always limited by the quality of possession you have. He can't bomb on if you're continually losing it. So as game went on and possession quality increased then Shaw and Walker to a lesser extent had more ability to go beyond their wide players. Its when England look best.

Now it does raise the question of whether we go 343 Saturday - to perhaps aid the quality of our possession and security when we lose it? For me the first half hour or so yesterday - if that happens against the Italians could easily be 1 or 2 down and in big trouble.
Yeah earlier in tourney

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:21 am

Ok - what team are you picking for the final?

I'm going 343...

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire

Shaw
Trippier

Rice
Phillips

Saka
Kane
Sterling

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:33 am

I'm with you on this one. Potential for Saka to be swapped out for one of Grealish or Sancho? (although unfortunately the biggest impact Grealish had on the Denmark game to to nullify Sterling's attacks when he swapped sides). Think Grealish will be well fired up after the subbed-sub thing.......................

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:44 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:33 am
I'm with you on this one. Potential for Saka to be swapped out for one of Grealish or Sancho? (although unfortunately the biggest impact Grealish had on the Denmark game to to nullify Sterling's attacks when he swapped sides). Think Grealish will be well fired up after the subbed-sub thing.......................
To me its clear that Southgate doesn't believe Grealish has the discipline to do the job required going backwards and therefore its a no from me.

I think that Saka has been great. IF I was gambling and putting a player in I'd play Foden but I think Grealish, Foden, Sancho can offer something off the bench.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:26 am

What we think he will do or what I would do?

I think he'll pick the team you have, possibly even with Mount for Saka.

I would go for the Ukraine team (considering Foden for Mount but just deciding against).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:52 am

I'm pretty sure G.S. isn't going to risk meddling with a winning side, so I'm expecting us to start a la Denmark. He may surprise us with a "Plan B" as we've managed to avoid the best ball passers in France, Spain Holland and Belgium, but that ends here. We can expect nothing less than the full bag of tricks from the Azzuri. Fitness will play a big part in this, and it will surely be a ding-dong diving, fouling, cheating affair from the off. Oh for a Pierre Luigi Collina to ref this (even if he is Italian,) .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:52 am
I'm pretty sure G.S. isn't going to risk meddling with a winning side, so I'm expecting us to start a la Denmark. He may surprise us with a "Plan B" as we've managed to avoid the best ball passers in France, Spain Holland and Belgium, but that ends here. We can expect nothing less than the full bag of tricks from the Azzuri. Fitness will play a big part in this, and it will surely be a ding-dong diving, fouling, cheating affair from the off. Oh for a Pierre Luigi Collina to ref this (even if he is Italian,) .
He's never picked the same side yet has he? Or did he for Scotland? But I think every other time he's made changes.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
He's never picked the same side yet has he? Or did he for Scotland? But I think every other time he's made changes.
Yeah he’s made changes for every game. I anticipate the final being the first time he keeps the same lineup. Can’t see us moving to a back three, as Italy don’t play that system, and can’t see any risks being taken with weaker defenders like Sancho, Foden or Grealish.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:27 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Yeah he’s made changes for every game. I anticipate the final being the first time he keeps the same lineup. Can’t see us moving to a back three, as Italy don’t play that system, and can’t see any risks being taken with weaker defenders like Sancho, Foden or Grealish.
On paper Italy play a 4 at the back but its really a 3 most of the time.

So I think it’s why I’d try and nullify that. I also thought the Danes exploited space on the counter in the system we played that Italy would revel in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Pickford

Walker
Trippier
James
Maguire
Stones
Mings
Coady
Chilwell
Shaw

Kane

It's going to penalties.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Harsh on Sterling who has been excellent.