European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8123
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: European Finals.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Absolutely belting effort. Great first half tonight, outplayed in the 2nd but possibly shaded it in extra time. Magnificent effort all tournament. Proud of everyone of em
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:04 pm

Crikey, losing in the semi-final and final feels even worse.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29045
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 pm

Also I think the three penalty misses were all dreadful kicks. All this nonsense about run ups. Run up and thump it top corner, bottom corner or middle of the goal. Statistically you are most likely to score there. Top or bottom corner ideally. Penalties trying to trick the keeper are far too low probability for such occasions in my view. Maguire and Kane showed the technique.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9234
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: European Finals.

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:10 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 pm
What I said at the start of the tournament did come back to bite us in the end. The played like heroes but Rice and Phillips for all they did are just not a midfield that is versatile or good enough to play against Verrati etc and Italy exploited that.
Hardly, they scored a scabby goal, and we lost by giving penalties to two guys who had just come off the bench and a 19-yo who shouldn't have been on the pitch
Oh come on England have done well but Italy had their number tonight as soon as the final 20 minutes were over. We were murdered in midfield. Penalty shoot out was literally men against boys. And they still gave us a chance.
...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: European Finals.

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 pm

Don’t really care much about England tbh. Club over country every time, but penalty shoot outs are horrible and I felt a bit tearful at the end seeing our boy Saka so upset. He never takes pens for Arsenal and he’s 19 ffs! Why were Grealish and Sterling not stepping up?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29045
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 pm
What I said at the start of the tournament did come back to bite us in the end. The played like heroes but Rice and Phillips for all they did are just not a midfield that is versatile or good enough to play against Verrati etc and Italy exploited that.
Hardly, they scored a scabby goal, and we lost by giving penalties to two guys who had just come off the bench and a 19-yo who shouldn't have been on the pitch

England had 34% possession and 6 shots to Italy’s 19. Let’s not pretend we weren’t totally outplayed for most of that game.

We showed superb character to hang in and take it all the way but yeah…we ended up relying on penalties because in open play we got bossed in midfield.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10572
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Up above the streets and houses

Re: European Finals.

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 pm
Don’t really care much about England tbh. Club over country every time, but penalty shoot outs are horrible and I felt a bit tearful at the end seeing our boy Saka so upset. He never takes pens for Arsenal and he’s 19 ffs! Why were Grealish and Sterling not stepping up?
Don't really care much about your opinion tbh.
Businesswoman of the year.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9234
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: European Finals.

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:21 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 pm
Don’t really care much about England tbh. Club over country every time, but penalty shoot outs are horrible and I felt a bit tearful at the end seeing our boy Saka so upset. He never takes pens for Arsenal and he’s 19 ffs! Why were Grealish and Sterling not stepping up?
Don't really care much about your opinion tbh.
Well, you care enough to comment on it :grin:
...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9234
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: European Finals.

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 pm

They've done really well, but they haven't been good enough to deserve to win it. Bunch of good lads and hard working pros led by a nice bloke. Admirable in so many ways and gave us some great moments.
...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29045
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 pm
They've done really well, but they haven't been good enough to deserve to win it. Bunch of good lads and hard working pros led by a nice bloke. Admirable in so many ways and gave us some great moments.
See England won the cricket World Cup and we were the best side. But on the day we were lucky, lucky to take NZ to a super over. But we did and won. The frustration for me is whilst Italy were the better side we had a penalty shoot out where the missed two and we still lost. No problem with the individuals but as a football nation we still lack the ruthlessness that you really need. Many sides have won tournaments playing for pens from twenty minutes in. There is still something in our mentality to fix. Happens so often it can’t just be luck.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9234
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: European Finals.

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 pm
They've done really well, but they haven't been good enough to deserve to win it. Bunch of good lads and hard working pros led by a nice bloke. Admirable in so many ways and gave us some great moments.
See England won the cricket World Cup and we were the best side. But on the day we were lucky, lucky to take NZ to a super over. But we did and won. The frustration for me is whilst Italy were the better side we had a penalty shoot out where the missed two and we still lost. No problem with the individuals but as a football nation we still lack the ruthlessness that you really need. Many sides have won tournaments playing for pens from twenty minutes in. There is still something in our mentality to fix. Happens so often it can’t just be luck.
There has to be serious questions asked about that shoot out strategy. It was clearly planned, subs coming on with instructions in their socks. You hear people saying it's a lottery. Is it feck. Its a test of nerve. And not a place for kids who've never taken a competitive penalty.
...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3415
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: European Finals.

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:39 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 pm
Don’t really care much about England tbh. Club over country every time, but penalty shoot outs are horrible and I felt a bit tearful at the end seeing our boy Saka so upset. He never takes pens for Arsenal and he’s 19 ffs! Why were Grealish and Sterling not stepping up?
Grealish and Sterling totally bottled it. Let a 19yo kid step up and take the fall. Wankers!

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 pm
They've done really well, but they haven't been good enough to deserve to win it. Bunch of good lads and hard working pros led by a nice bloke. Admirable in so many ways and gave us some great moments.
See England won the cricket World Cup and we were the best side. But on the day we were lucky, lucky to take NZ to a super over. But we did and won. The frustration for me is whilst Italy were the better side we had a penalty shoot out where the missed two and we still lost. No problem with the individuals but as a football nation we still lack the ruthlessness that you really need. Many sides have won tournaments playing for pens from twenty minutes in. There is still something in our mentality to fix. Happens so often it can’t just be luck.

Indeed. I knew from the moment the referee blew the final whistle our opportunity to win it had probably gone. It hurts a huge amount that Pickford dragged us back into it only for us to throw it away again, but I won't be blaming a teenager who was placed in a position he probably shouldn't have been in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29045
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:43 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 pm
They've done really well, but they haven't been good enough to deserve to win it. Bunch of good lads and hard working pros led by a nice bloke. Admirable in so many ways and gave us some great moments.
See England won the cricket World Cup and we were the best side. But on the day we were lucky, lucky to take NZ to a super over. But we did and won. The frustration for me is whilst Italy were the better side we had a penalty shoot out where the missed two and we still lost. No problem with the individuals but as a football nation we still lack the ruthlessness that you really need. Many sides have won tournaments playing for pens from twenty minutes in. There is still something in our mentality to fix. Happens so often it can’t just be luck.
There has to be serious questions asked about that shoot out strategy. It was clearly planned, subs coming on with instructions in their socks. You hear people saying it's a lottery. Is it feck. Its a test of nerve. And not a place for kids who've never taken a competitive penalty.
Yeah I mean you could have been saying it was genius bringing Rashford and Sancho on. I didn’t like it just felt wrong to me but could have been a stroke of genius. Saka was bizarre. But perhaps he put his hand up. Kid looked overawed all night. Sterling and Shaw for me were takers. But all easy in hindsight. I’ve had a theory on penalties for a long time that in training every player should have two pens. Top or bottom corner or up middle. Practice them then Pre game decide which it is and don’t change your mind. Shoot outs need to be simple. Power usually wins if on target.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29045
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:44 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:39 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 pm
Don’t really care much about England tbh. Club over country every time, but penalty shoot outs are horrible and I felt a bit tearful at the end seeing our boy Saka so upset. He never takes pens for Arsenal and he’s 19 ffs! Why were Grealish and Sterling not stepping up?
Grealish and Sterling totally bottled it. Let a 19yo kid step up and take the fall. Wankers!
Shaw would have been one of first choices for me. But you don’t know it wasn’t a dictat rather than a choice for anyone.

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8743
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: European Finals.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:48 pm

My only criticism is bring subs on to take penalties so late on. They didn't have time to get into it, take some touches and get ja feel for it. Taking a penalty so soon after coming on was a recipe for disaster.

Well done Italy. Better team on the day. Plenty of room for the England lads to progress and be even better next time.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1562
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:54 pm

This was Italy's tournament from start to finish.

Tonight was all the reasons I don't like Southgate as England manager, but we reached the final so it's hard to justify complaining.

Roll on the world cup. This is a young team and has plenty of time to improve.

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:03 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:54 pm
This was Italy's tournament from start to finish.

Tonight was all the reasons I don't like Southgate as England manager, but we reached the final so it's hard to justify complaining.

Roll on the world cup. This is a young team and has plenty of time to improve.

It's frustrating that neither Grealish nor Sancho saw action until extra time in my opinion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29045
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: European Finals.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:54 pm
This was Italy's tournament from start to finish.

Tonight was all the reasons I don't like Southgate as England manager, but we reached the final so it's hard to justify complaining.

Roll on the world cup. This is a young team and has plenty of time to improve.
Not sure it needs to improve much. What it needs is a Verratti. Or a modern day Gascoigne. Someone with real all round class in midfield. If we’d had such a player we’d have had a great chance rather than chasing shadows against Italy’s midfield for much of the match.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2397
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Xanadu

Re: European Finals.

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:09 am

Bellingham in a couple of years then

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests