Pies in administration

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Pies in administration

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:28 pm

I meant more they're an example of what happens when the money runs out. A few Wigan-supporting mates of mine have noted it grimly today.

"There soon go we unhappy few."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:53 pm

I do genuinely hope they don't go bust. Really wouldn't wish that on anyone. I was hoping for long drawn out agony, saved at the last minute but live to fight back in doldrums. But they look proper fecked.

Does anyone remember around Bassini time if we really knew much about FV. I remember he obviously threatened to sue but can't remember how sure or in the light they were.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:53 pm
I do genuinely hope they don't go bust. Really wouldn't wish that on anyone. I was hoping for long drawn out agony, saved at the last minute but live to fight back in doldrums. But they look proper fecked.

Does anyone remember around Bassini time if we really knew much about FV. I remember he obviously threatened to sue but can't remember how sure or in the light they were.
If they went bust would anyone bar a few reprobates in Wigan notice owt different?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
A points deduction and trimmed budget to take them out of the top 6 chase was enough for me.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:10 pm

Forced to play Magennis and McLean plus the under 16s all season will do for me!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:57 pm
Prufrock wrote:

If they went bust would anyone bar a few reprobates in Wigan notice owt different?
They're still people. I'm sure some of them are all right. I mean, unlike almost any other team I dislike I've never met any who aren't nobs, but there must be.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:10 pm
Forced to play Magennis and McLean plus the under 16s all season will do for me!
That would piss me off more if the prick still turned out for them!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:18 am

Prufrock wrote:

We didn't know much as to FV per se, but we knew there was a consortium that had been leading the race as it was announced in the Feb that the deal was pretty much done with a consortium including Shazza and Parminder Basran who we believed had been trying to land the deal since the Club had been put up for sale the previous year...

Then shit got weird...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 am

Parminder Basran!

One of those where the names don't stick at the time because you don't know how significant they'll become (Shaz, not Parms)

But if at least Shazza was around a while it doesn't bode well if they haven't had similar sensible people knocking about. I assume, maybe they have, but the last minute "it's fine we've got the money oh shit we're selling" doesn't bode well.

To mangle Groucho Marx any owner that will buy a club at next to no notice isn't likely to be a good owner.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:57 pm
Prufrock wrote:

They're still people. I'm sure some of them are all right. I mean, unlike almost any other team I dislike I've never met any who aren't nobs, but there must be.
I guess I wasn't suggesting I want them to disappear as a club. I don't. Every town deserves to have its own football club. I meant more that had Bolton Wanderers - football league founders gone it would have been a disaster and beyond rivalries would have been significant across the game. Sure the social media banter but generally people would have cared. Bury - people cared beyond that town.

Wigan - I doubt anyone beyond Wigan would notice much or care.

They are a footballing insignificance. But I don't want them to go - Wigan fans however much we dislike them don't deserve it.

But the thing is Wigan are to me an artificial club boosted by an owner with little history or relevance in the game, a small following and frankly little to no recognition outside of Wigan. Hope they survive but the football world wouldn't blink an eye if they don't.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:21 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:35 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:10 pm
That would piss me off more if the prick still turned out for them!
Without getting paid? 😃

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:16 pm

Never been one to kick people while they're down, there's too much focus on the wrong aspects of ownership ( read financial gain in the long term" )and not enough on the ones that matter, the fans and the players. What does owning a football club really mean to the mega-rich, nouveau riche, if you like beyond pound or dollar signs in their asset totals? In reality, it just shows how sport is just a pastime to the fat-cats. I'd love a day to come ( highly unlikely) when the equilibrium is restored, reversed, and jumpers instead of wallets are the goal posts.

All very N.S.S I know, but it just annoys.. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:19 pm

F*ck em (still)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:48 pm

Wigan fans are currently so traumatised they're cheering on the idea of having to pay rent to play in the stadium they currently own. Amazing stuff.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:48 pm
Wigan fans are currently so traumatised they're cheering on the idea of having to pay rent to play in the stadium they currently own. Amazing stuff.
More popcorn please! :-)

As others have said, want them to come through, but preferably at an irrecoverable NW Counties standard or maybe at a pinch Div 2! :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:05 pm

As others have said, want them to come through, but preferably at an irrecoverable NW Counties standard or maybe at a pinch Div 2! :-)
That touches the real issue, though.

Wigan fans are talking about owners coming in and running the club on a break-even model, which they say they'd be happy with. However, when they talk about what a break-even Wigan looks like they see a Championship club that spends some time in the Prem now and then. In reality, they are a club with a similar scope to Lincoln City and the thing that separates them is the stadium. They're still hungover from the Whelan era - as some of ours were (maybe some still are?) from Eddie.

The new EFL 30 day regs may also scupper them. HMRC debt has been added to the list, so if they don't clear that sharpish new owners won't be able to buy players from other clubs for 3 windows even if they have the money.

We've seen this week how realistic football fans are about what their club can and can't do on a budget. Shrewsbury fans have been attacking their owner for not showing the ambition "befitting a club of this size" by taking them to the Championship. They get crowds of 6400, on average.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:43 pm

That very rule has just been triggered.

They've been placed under a transfer embargo.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:05 pm

That touches the real issue, though.

Wigan fans are talking about owners coming in and running the club on a break-even model, which they say they'd be happy with. However, when they talk about what a break-even Wigan looks like they see a Championship club that spends some time in the Prem now and then. In reality, they are a club with a similar scope to Lincoln City and the thing that separates them is the stadium. They're still hungover from the Whelan era - as some of ours were (maybe some still are?) from Eddie.

The new EFL 30 day regs may also scupper them. HMRC debt has been added to the list, so if they don't clear that sharpish new owners won't be able to buy players from other clubs for 3 windows even if they have the money.

We've seen this week how realistic football fans are about what their club can and can't do on a budget. Shrewsbury fans have been attacking their owner for not showing the ambition "befitting a club of this size" by taking them to the Championship. They get crowds of 6400, on average.
Let’s get this straight. Wigan were celebrating selling 4000 season tickets. We’ve sold 15,000 as a league one club. And we’d sell more if we went up and they didn’t up prices too much.

There is no comparison between us and Wigan.

I agree about the sustainability bit. People at any club say they want it but don’t know what it means. It sounds good. Till you say you are spending over a million quid a month too much on player salaries so you need to ship out 10 first teamers and that’s without adding anything back on…then in those terms sustainability is seen differently.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:58 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:43 pm
That very rule has just been triggered.

They've been placed under a transfer embargo.
So, assuming appeals are unsuccessful, they can only sign freebies until January 2025. Marvellous.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:56 pm
Let’s get this straight. Wigan we’re celebrating selling 4000 season tickets. We’ve sold 15,000 as a league one club. And we’d sell more if we went up and they didn’t up prices too much.

There is no comparison between us and Wigan.
I didn't compare us to Wigan.