Greg Clarke resigns

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Greg Clarke resigns

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:32 pm

Anyone want the gig?

There's some forced resignations I can see why...Ron Atkinson for example, but has Clarke really had to step down for using the phrase "coloured footballers"? Which I think one MP described as "abhorrent"...what is the appropriate collective noun? I think given my age, I could think of lots of phrases that would fall into the "abhorrent" category, not sure that one is up there with them...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Greg Clarke resigns

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:30 pm

I thought the reaction to that was over blown but just seen someone in the news say he also thought women couldn't go in nets because they were scared of the ball and being gay was a life choice so I can see why he's had to go.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:30 pm
I thought the reaction to that was over blown but just seen someone in the news say he also thought women couldn't go in nets because they were scared of the ball and being gay was a life choice so I can see why he's had to go.
I could see the life choice being a problem.

Some women in nets need to man up (same as some men)! :-)

He located our offshore IT support pretty accurately.

But I still don't see why "coloured footballers" is incorrect. Genuinely, what's the collective noun? Do we all have to use BAME now or something else?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:30 pm
I mean he does sound a bit of a knob to be fair.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:01 pm

So 'people of colour' is OK, but 'coloured people' isn't. Who actually decides this?
May the bridges I burn light your way

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:19 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:01 pm
So 'people of colour' is OK, but 'coloured people' isn't. Who actually decides this?

When we were growing up 'coloured' was the accepted or polite term for non-whites. I know things change but I do think he was harshly treated if that was the only reason. He does sound a bit of a tool though.

It is a good opportunity to get a BAME person or woman in (or both) to increase diversity. Sol Campbell is out of work at the moment.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.