Interesting article...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8715
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Interesting article...

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/hfe5e ... ible-Dream

An interesting (long) read if you have time over on the beeb. About the paths of 2 promising youngsters in football to where they are now.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7874
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:45 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/hfe5e ... ible-Dream

An interesting (long) read if you have time over on the beeb. About the paths of 2 promising youngsters in football to where they are now.
I read that earlier. Good read if a little never ending I hope more is being done now to scoop up and help the many who don’t make it.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3323
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm

Enjoyed that. A really good read. Nice to see Nobby get a mention. I recall him being involved with the Sunday league team whilst with us.

I’m sure I’ve read about trials being held with released players, but wasn’t sure how much support is offered to young players dropping out of the game at very young ages. Howard Gayle seems to be doing a good job for one!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7874
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm
Enjoyed that. A really good read. Nice to see Nobby get a mention. I recall him being involved with the Sunday league team whilst with us.

I’m sure I’ve read about trials being held with released players, but wasn’t sure how much support is offered to young players dropping out of the game at very young ages. Howard Gayle seems to be doing a good job for one!
I played in the FA cup once (I may have mentioned it?) and then was just dropped like a stone. No support at all! :cry:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3323
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm
Enjoyed that. A really good read. Nice to see Nobby get a mention. I recall him being involved with the Sunday league team whilst with us.

I’m sure I’ve read about trials being held with released players, but wasn’t sure how much support is offered to young players dropping out of the game at very young ages. Howard Gayle seems to be doing a good job for one!
I played in the FA cup once (I may have mentioned it?) and then was just dropped like a stone. No support at all! :cry:

That explains a lot! 😉

You mentioned playing in the FA Cup about as many times as I mentioned being at Anfield on 26th May 1989. 😎

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13042
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Interesting article...

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm

I won the Junior World Cup with Bulgaria (Les Edwards Junior World Cup) and I now work in shipping...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25192
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 05, 2021 5:54 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm
I won the Junior World Cup with Bulgaria (Les Edwards Junior World Cup) and I now work in shipping...
Aye, my career was just strewn with alcohol, fast cars and gambling after our victory in the Cub's 5-a-side...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests