Interesting article...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Interesting article...

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/hfe5e ... ible-Dream

An interesting (long) read if you have time over on the beeb. About the paths of 2 promising youngsters in football to where they are now.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:45 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/hfe5e ... ible-Dream

An interesting (long) read if you have time over on the beeb. About the paths of 2 promising youngsters in football to where they are now.
I read that earlier. Good read if a little never ending I hope more is being done now to scoop up and help the many who don’t make it.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm

Enjoyed that. A really good read. Nice to see Nobby get a mention. I recall him being involved with the Sunday league team whilst with us.

I’m sure I’ve read about trials being held with released players, but wasn’t sure how much support is offered to young players dropping out of the game at very young ages. Howard Gayle seems to be doing a good job for one!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm
Enjoyed that. A really good read. Nice to see Nobby get a mention. I recall him being involved with the Sunday league team whilst with us.

I’m sure I’ve read about trials being held with released players, but wasn’t sure how much support is offered to young players dropping out of the game at very young ages. Howard Gayle seems to be doing a good job for one!
I played in the FA cup once (I may have mentioned it?) and then was just dropped like a stone. No support at all! :cry:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm

I played in the FA cup once (I may have mentioned it?) and then was just dropped like a stone. No support at all! :cry:

That explains a lot! 😉

You mentioned playing in the FA Cup about as many times as I mentioned being at Anfield on 26th May 1989. 😎

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm

I won the Junior World Cup with Bulgaria (Les Edwards Junior World Cup) and I now work in shipping...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 05, 2021 5:54 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm
I won the Junior World Cup with Bulgaria (Les Edwards Junior World Cup) and I now work in shipping...
Aye, my career was just strewn with alcohol, fast cars and gambling after our victory in the Cub's 5-a-side...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:26 am

Pointed out for my attention on a dance website I'm a member of but I'm bit out of touch with football things so it didn't mean much...Guy is a professional currently on Strictly Come Dancing..??

"Dancer, Kai Witherington. His father Tommy is a former professional footballer, now director of Bristol Rovers, and his brother is also a professional footballer"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?