A bit wrong?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

A bit wrong?

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58435485

Boro player being investigated for social media stuff he posted at age 14. Seems a tad unfair to me. Imagine if every job you had scrolled back through your entire social media posts over the years and judged you on stuff you put as a kid. I’ve not seen the post but I’m sure his views may well have changed. Just seems ridiculous in my eyes. 14!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A bit wrong?

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:39 am

Batshit crazy. Virtue signalling. And very doubtful that it's bought the game into disrepute. Part of growing up is learning.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:10 am

Just typical of our law's "stable-door "philosophy. Commit wrong at 15, be judged at 15, not, like this, ten years or whatever, later. In some things we're the finest in the world, in others almost Jurassic. What are they going to do, send him to Borstal?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:03 am

Pathetic. Literally serves no-one and makes nothing better. Actually does more harm than good in turning people against any sort of equality agenda through sheer exasperation with the stupidity and fake sanctimoniousness of it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:36 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 am
Imagine if every job you had scrolled back through your entire social media posts over the years and judged you on stuff you put as a kid.
They'd only just invented the answerphone when I was 14. Still, we had a lot of fun leaving messages on those things 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:36 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 am
Imagine if every job you had scrolled back through your entire social media posts over the years and judged you on stuff you put as a kid.
They'd only just invented the answerphone when I was 14. Still, we had a lot of fun leaving messages on those things 😁
I've got a vision of Eamonn Andrew's, turning up at your gaff with said answerphone.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:20 pm

They're in a bit of a tough position now sometime has dug it up.

I think it's ridiculous, but the line at the end about Bowen is pretty instructive tbf. Not the end of the world if he gets a warning and has to do a course.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:20 pm

I think it's ridiculous, but the line at the end about Bowen is pretty instructive tbf. Not the end of the world if he gets a warning and has to do a course.
Well I suppose they can't just have a quiet word. There has to be a formal process if a complaint is made.
My initial reaction is that of course it's ridiculous, but I don't want get all Lawrence Fox about it.
Who are the sad bored bastards trawling back through all this stuff?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:25 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:38 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Well I suppose they can't just have a quiet word. There has to be a formal process if a complaint is made.
My initial reaction is that of course it's ridiculous, but I don't want get all Lawrence Fox about it.
^^

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:15 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:38 pm
Prufrock wrote:

The other question on top is these footballers spend a lot on agencies to represent them. When you see say actors or singers hit it big and get representation almost all the time the first thing that happens is all their historic social media posts go. So why aren’t the football agents doing the same? After all they cost enough.

Agree though that once a complaint is made the authorities can’t just ignore it. I also think context is critical. Don’t know what the tweet says but context is critical. As is frequency. A single tweet is far less an issue than a pattern usually. But of course it depends what it says. The defence of ‘we all do stupid stuff as a kid’ doesn’t hold because for example, had it subsequently emerged he’d been involved at 14 in something like theft or conning old people nobody would say ‘ah well he was just a kid’. Again context.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 am

Of course the defence holds. As far as we know he hasn't done either of theft or conning old people, so we're not discussing them, but even if we were those would need context too pocketing a Mars bar from Tesco needs calling out, but it ain't Brinks Matt. Since when did 14 year olds become perfect, coz I musta missed it.

The sad part about all this is the asshole who thinks it's remotely pertinent to bring it to the Authorities attention. They need to get out more and some shoulda quietly told them to fcuk right off.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 am

Yeah, I'm more than happy to treat different things differently. No-one is saying youth gives a free pass to a 14 year old for anything. But for tweets made as a 14 year old to be worth seriously punishing someone for now they would have to be pretty spectacularly bad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.