Oldham V Chesterfield

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Oldham V Chesterfield

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:07 pm

Seems like an Oldham player was done over in the car park after their match on Saturday (allegedly, by an opposition player)...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Oldham V Chesterfield

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:41 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:07 pm
Seems like an Oldham player was done over in the car park after their match on Saturday (allegedly, by an opposition player)...
Bad news, but was it a fight or an assault? If the former, no new event. On pitch-off pitch scraps are nothing new, Colin Todd, Franny Lee and Norman Hunter going back some as starters. If the latter it might be a court job. The club will surely deal with the former. I read the report but nothing further?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:59 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:41 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:07 pm
Bad news, but was it a fight or an assault? If the former, no new event. On pitch-off pitch scraps are nothing new, Colin Todd, Franny Lee and Norman Hunter going back some as starters. If the latter it might be a court job. The club will surely deal with the former. I read the report but nothing further?
Part of me thought about most of those scenarios (and the people you mentioned), although not sure of specifics on Colin Todd. Lee and Hunter was a flare up during the game. This sounded rather more like he was jumped in the car park and it should've probably been left in the bar...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:35 am

Not to make too much of this, but it's hardly headline stuff. One of our own almost came to blows on pitch after an elbow in the face just a few days ago. There's no excuse for this sort of thuggery ever, but football is a melting pot for aggression ( remember Eric Cantona?) and the length of time these things take to get to court it's more likely the public and the sensationalist seeking media rather then those involved that remember any of it. Probably a "Today's news is tomorrow's chip paper" stuff (even chip paper makes me a dinosaur ). Right, outside! :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:11 am

Bremner and Keegan in the Charity Shield, too. The Oldham player's sustained some serious injuries by the sounds of it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:44 am

Aye he's in hospital and out from football for a few weeks. Sounds like more than a scuffle and v much something for the police.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:35 am
Not to make too much of this, but it's hardly headline stuff. One of our own almost came to blows on pitch after an elbow in the face just a few days ago. There's no excuse for this sort of thuggery ever, but football is a melting pot for aggression ( remember Eric Cantona?) and the length of time these things take to get to court it's more likely the public and the sensationalist seeking media rather then those involved that remember any of it. Probably a "Today's news is tomorrow's chip paper" stuff (even chip paper makes me a dinosaur ). Right, outside! :wink:
Probably more than chip paper to the guy that needed hospital treatment after suffering "serious injury" and who will be out for a few weeks. It is not common for footballers to get assaulted after the game in the club car park.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:48 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Probably more than chip paper to the guy that needed hospital treatment after suffering "serious injury" and who will be out for a few weeks. It is not common for footballers to get assaulted after the game in the club car park.
Not knowing the seriousness of it at the time, yes, I'll step back and say no more.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Apparently the two of them were at Carlisle together a couple of years ago, so who knows what previous there is between them both?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:28 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Apparently the two of them were at Carlisle together a couple of years ago, so who knows what previous there is between them both?!
Well probably the two of them. :-) But it certainly seemed like a strange one....two blokes having a fisticuffs during the game, I can sorta see occasionally, and maybe even a bit of training pitch "banter", just seemed like quite a random thing....

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:28 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Someone on Twitter was saying that he’d shagged the wife/girlfriend of the bloke that battered him, whilst they were at Carlisle. You do have to take these things with a pinch of salt, however.