The Big Shiny World Cup thread

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Big Shiny World Cup thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:03 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:29 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:56 pm
A really poor Argentina? Did you see the first hour of the game? The French couldn't live with them and I'm sure England would have struggled too. We did well against the French but I wouldn't say we outplayed them. Don't get me wrong, we're a decent side but we've still not managed to outplay the best sides, particularly away from Wembley.
IMO Argentina have been nothing special, Messi is obviously the GOAT but they don't have much quality beyond that for me. They lost to Saudi Arabia.

I think France are the best team in the world when fully fit and in form but they've been (justifiably) poor by their own high standards and being outplayed by Argentina and England (the stats agree with me for whatever that's worth) just shows that.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me but that's how I see things. Kane scores that penalty and 9/10 England win that tournament.
I get where you are coming from. Not that many Argentinians I’d pick over their English counterparts.

However I think we lack that real star quality to propel us in these crucial moments. We aren’t quite the strong team from one to eleven who can nullify teams nor do we have that absolute star quality in the biggest moments.

Not that I think it was impossible for us to win. It just needed a bit of luck against the French.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:58 am

Well that was a good world cup with far more decent games than normal and a few surprises, many times we saw sheer hard graft negating the supposed tactical genius the football elite should make notes.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:13 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:58 am
Well that was a good world cup with far more decent games than normal and a few surprises, many times we saw sheer hard graft negating the supposed tactical genius the football elite should make notes.
I think someone said on Day 2 the cannon fodder looked just that, as we pummeled Iran. But agree Hobes, it felt like the gap was closing, rather than widening. That said it'd be difficult to argue 5 out of the 6 goals in the final came from anything other than "elites"...

But if we look at say, Senegal with Mane playing he's not in for his hard graft...he's part of the elite.

Stand out for me was probably the Moroccan number 8. Saw him in a few games worked hard but also showed plenty of skill/class too.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:32 pm

I think the biggest difference between the teams was a virtual failure in front of goals that affected the 'lesser' teams, they got forward, created chances but just could not convert.
As I said it was quite a decent spectacle and I got the opportunity to watch most of the games.
The Germans have their work cut out to become serious contenders again and I'm disappointed Southgate is staying, if he flops at the next Euros it will give a new man no time for the 2026 world cup.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:36 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:32 pm
disappointed Southgate is staying, if he flops at the next Euros it will give a new man no time for the 2026 world cup.
Have to disagree Hobes. I've watched every England game for donkey;s years and Southgate has taken us further than we've been for while before him.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:36 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:32 pm
disappointed Southgate is staying, if he flops at the next Euros it will give a new man no time for the 2026 world cup.
Have to disagree Hobes. I've watched every England game for donkey;s years and Southgate has taken us further than we've been for while before him.
I think we just need to supplement Southgate with more help. I think that Southgate's biggest contribution is how he has brought the squad, media, country together. He could do that without being the manager. We need a tactical manager to support Southgate and help him where he is failing.

That being said, it's very close margins with those defeats.

Hopefully it comes good but I don't expect us to beat those teams that are considered better than us.