The Big Shiny World Cup thread

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Big Shiny World Cup thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:18 pm

And that is why Foden is a must play. He just is unbelievably good.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:55 pm
Bellingham has been superb on the counter press. A Bellingham type is exactly what Bolton need I think it would transform us.
I also think one of the best young players in the world would help us tremendously :D

Ropey at times in the first half but job hopefully done. Still really torn on Kane. Want him leading that line but his work dropping deep has been great.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:55 pm

Good win. Delighted.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:55 pm
Good win. Delighted.
And me. Senagal were weaker than I imagined but it's forget them and now think France. Harry Kane was immense tonight and Foden too. The team generally played well. All round a satisfactory night. Senegal had their brief moments, but we were firmly in control for most of the game.We did what we had to do and did it well enough.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:24 pm

Three great goals. At times we look sloppy and pedestrian, then boom, quick counter and goal. We could beat France but we'll need all of them to be on their game start to finish.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:57 pm

The man worries me. I'm scared he's going to bring in Trippier for one of the midfielders and bottle it, it's his nature, but I have to say so far this tournament he's got it bang on other then the subs/approach to the US game.

That was superb. Ropey spells in the first half, but put yourself in France's shoes, watching that v us watching them. Senegal had a couple of chances but a woeful Poland team had at least as good against the French.

I really hope he doesn't bottle it. I think he'll go back 5 to double up on Mbappe and give up the midfield, which would be a massive mistake. Their midfield 2/3 is so weak, they're so easy to get at.

A week of fluctuating we're going to win the whole thing v we're getting battered on Sat.

But how can you not love this team.

Bellingham, Foden, Saka, technically great, super footballers, great lads with the world at their feet. Oosh!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 pm

A mention for Rice and co at the back as it's always going to be nervy a this level. No stand off and showing players here and there; we're not cinema usherettes, get at the French in pairs and suppress their passing game. Still a long way to go, but we're getting there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:07 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:57 pm
The man worries me. I'm scared he's going to bring in Trippier for one of the midfielders and bottle it, it's his nature, but I have to say so far this tournament he's got it bang on other then the subs/approach to the US game.

That was superb. Ropey spells in the first half, but put yourself in France's shoes, watching that v us watching them. Senegal had a couple of chances but a woeful Poland team had at least as good against the French.

I really hope he doesn't bottle it. I think he'll go back 5 to double up on Mbappe and give up the midfield, which would be a massive mistake. Their midfield 2/3 is so weak, they're so easy to get at.

A week of fluctuating we're going to win the whole thing v we're getting battered on Sat.

But how can you not love this team.

Bellingham, Foden, Saka, technically great, super footballers, great lads with the world at their feet. Oosh!
On the plus side, every time we win the world cup, we beat France on the way!

That said - bit like the view v Senegal, I wouldn't want this team looking to just defend and go on the break for 90 minutes, I do think we need to give them something to think about at their end of the pitch.

Having been critical of the midfield with just Bellingham and Rice in it (and maybe Mount) and then probably a little less so with Henderson in it, it performed well last night and all three had their moments, including Rice adding to the attack on occasion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:27 am

Yeah Pru nails it. Mbappe is good. He’s outstanding. And if he gets the right situations and is on it he could well win the game for France. But surrendering the game to try and keep him quiet would be a mistake because unlike greats like Messi or Maradonna or Zidane, Mbappe isn’t a central part of their game. He doesn’t need to be controlling it or even in it much to be effective. Their play doesn’t revolve around him.

Same team for me. Press them. Work them. Go toe to toe. I think we’ve got enough to scare them going forward. And take MBappe and some brilliance out I think we’ve got a better team just about. But we don’t have that superstar who could just do something brilliant. Walker will be crucial. I can’t help feeling a change of system would be a big mistake.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:46 am

The best way to contain Mbappe is play Walker (as close as stride for stride as we'll get), but more importantly take control of the midfield. It's always an area we've struggled with at the business end of tournaments. If we win the middle of the park, their ability to get the ball out to Mbappe with quality is reduced
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:34 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:46 am
The best way to contain Mbappe is play Walker (as close as stride for stride as we'll get), but more importantly take control of the midfield. It's always an area we've struggled with at the business end of tournaments. If we win the middle of the park, their ability to get the ball out to Mbappe with quality is reduced
Agree B.B ,but hope we don't concentrate so much on MBappe that we mis Giroud and Greizeman. Greizeman is obviously being allowed a strolling roll going where he feels...and he does it so well a la De Bruyne. We'll have to attack the French defence on the deck as well as ariel, but most of all, chances may be few, so we have to take them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:12 am

Every now and again, a world class player is going to do something "world class" and whatever you do, it might not quite make it. We need our world class players to do more than theirs.

Like TD, whilst we conjecture around Mbappe v Walker, we shouldn't forget that Maguire in the middle will almost certainly be targeted by Giroud and Griezmann and he does occasionally manage to put us in trouble (just that it hasn't cost us much so far) - we're unlikely to change Maguire at this stage so we need to hope he doesn't drop one...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:23 am

Grease man is the one that needs nailing down.

Hats off to Kane last night he grafted away, team overall played well but we peed about to much at the back and to deep France will exploit that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:35 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:46 am
Precisement. Worth remembering they haven't kept a clean sheet yet, whereas we haven't conceded since the farcical sympathy penalty giving to Iran.

Mbappe is world class, and not particularly reliant on link ups with others. Maybe he does something that wins the game for them. Or maybe one of their other v good players does. It can happen. But it would be such a waste to give up the midfield, and just hope to nick it.

The other one who worries me is Dembele who isn't particularly good, but it v quick and plays in Maguire's channel.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:12 pm

Japan took the worst penalties I've ever seen!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:12 pm
Have you missed all of England's down the years? 🤣🤣🤣

They weren't very good though :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:44 pm

I would seriously pay good money to someone to stick that fcukin whistle up the Brazilians ass!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:52 pm

I wondered how long it would take? The inevitable 'we're going to win it' fecking nonsense. I mean usually it starts before the players are even on the plane, so at least Terry from Essex and his type have have shown some restraint this time out.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:26 pm

Pactum Serva... ae:)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:29 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:12 pm
I took a few penalties in amateur football long ago..I only had one rule: Never hit them on the deck. Pity Japan didn't use it.... :oyea: