Lionesses thread.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lionesses thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:11 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:21 pm
I'm hoping England don't follow Bolton running off the opposition style defending. Lucy Bronze is particularly vulnerable at this. Adopt the wolf-pack style and take it to Spain. They, without a doubt will go Wigan style full pressure. Come on girls, be the aggressors.

:Jedi:

ae:)
And thus it played. I've been advocating dropping Lucy Bronze for a fair while and sure enough she gave the ball away trying to outrun the Spanish midfield and it cost us the game. We were bullied by a committed side who savaged our passing game by sheer tough (and at times blatant fouling) football) Hope we learn the lesson.
There was a lot to do for Spain when she lost the ball so I'd say that is a little harsh. I also think like most finals the game is decided by small moments. We hit the bar they score...I suspect other way round and we win the game,

I also think the day later semi final told as we always were going to need more legs for the Spain game.

But I wouldn't particularly blame them it was a tight game where the better in possession side scored and managed to cling on.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:15 pm

Lionesses got beaten 2-1 by a better Nederlands side, although their first goal was definitely offside, proven by V.A.R. ...One day someone will listen and drop Lucy Bronze. Yes, she scored a headed goal against Scotland, but as a full back she just isn't good enough. She isn't fast emough, regularly loses the ball and won'r tackle. She also passes the ball back regularly from attacking positions and never manages to hit an England player either with a pass or throw in. This isn't a personal attack, I don't know her, just a fact as I see it from watching all the games....She's a weak link.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:10 am

To be fair the whole team only passes it backwards. Keira Walsh is an intelligent mover and frees space for others, but fecking hell is she negative with the ball.

Since the Euro's win, the team has really struggled with tempo & creativity
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:37 pm

Bad news for the Lionesses; The team captain , Magic Millie Bright, is out injured for the rest of the tournament. :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:22 am

Might not be enough to guarantee qualification for the Olympics, but the Lionesses came from 2-0 down at half time to beat Nederland 3-2 last night. It's in the balance yet, but a cracking fight-back. Well done. :oyea:

Beth Mead recovered from injury is a bonus.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:22 am
Might not be enough to guarantee qualification for the Olympics, but the Lionesses came from 2-0 down at half time to beat Nederland 3-2 last night. It's in the balance yet, but a cracking fight-back. Well done. :oyea:

Beth Mead recovered from injury is a bonus.
One more game left thankfully.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:24 pm

I thought Bronze had a decent game, although I would agree she has been poor in a couple previous.
Personally I thought Charles was the weak link in this game, seems clueless with the ball.
Great win, looking forward to the next one, we need goals.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:13 pm

Charles is somewhat of a newcomer to the first team. They're having to re-group having lost a few regulars: Jill Scott(retired) Steph Houghton (long time injury), Fran Kirby only just back from injury, Parris, Christianson, Beth England etc, etc. And then team captain Magic Milly Bright is presently injured.

Re Lucy Bronze, she's very talented but I reckon she should be a box to box player as she isn't a full back or a wing back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:34 pm

England women v Scotland. Would have to be on B/B/C 1 tonight at the same time as Bolton play. :evil: I'll have to catch it later

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:34 pm
England women v Scotland. Would have to be on B/B/C 1 tonight at the same time as Bolton play. :evil: I'll have to catch it later
Welcome to the world of second-screening, Tango... :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:56 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:34 pm
Welcome to the world of second-screening, Tango... :D
Wife has the multiscreen version in the lounge. I don't watch much T.V on my down market version and can't stand the xxxx she watches. I have my p.c and I PLayer though, So no bother. Just the clashing times I don't like. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:25 pm

Gutted for them. Beat Scotland 6-0 and Holland and Denmark drew with a goal in extra time so we don't qualify for the Semis. Tough, they played brilliant. Maybe somebody will believe me now and admit Lucy Bronze is no full back. She had a great game tonight playing mainly midfield. She doesn't like to tackle or be tackled and wont take on one to one; that's why she cuts inside so often. What she is is a space player with a football brain and she also scored. A sort of Modrich with a pony-tail... :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:23 pm

Girls are 2-0 up at half time against Republic of Ireland after having scored a penalty and missed one. (hit the post)