Lionesses thread.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Lionesses thread.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:49 pm

Lionesses come from behind to win 2-1 against a good Colombia side (with all the usual South American tricks of the trade, pretence, fouling, over-aggression etc,etc.) Colombia were good enough without the circus,and England did well to beat a very decent side. Good on you girls!!! :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:49 pm
Lionesses come from behind to win 2-1 against a good Colombia side (with all the usual South American tricks of the trade, pretence, fouling, over-aggression etc,etc.) Colombia were good enough without the circus,and England did well to beat a very decent side. Good on you girls!!! :oyea: :oyea:
Was a much better performance aswell. It seemed like Colombia scored from a cross which woke us up and we raised our levels. Nice to see France bowing out too.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:09 pm

So the Spanish reach the final. I had them down as winners pre-tournament and whoever wins tomorrow's game should hope they win it in regulation time as Spain really do keep and move the ball well
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:51 am

Advantage England at HT in the semi final

A proper blockbuster by Ella Toone right into the far top bins form the corner of the area. England the better side, but Australia do look dangerous and athletic on the counter

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:56 am

Yeah, about as good a 45 as I think you're going to get in a world cup semi. Second goal would be lovely!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:22 pm

Wow. Australia level with an unbelievable goal from Sam Kerr. 30 yards. Top corner . Fizzing through the air.

Not much you can do about that

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:30 pm

England back in front!!! Tenacity by Lauren Hemp and she edges in front of the hesitant defender to poke it into the bottom corner.. Thought VAR may have brought it back for a very slight shoulder pull, but no. England lead 2-1!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:38 pm

Smashing stuff.

Russo just blocked off the keeper as she ran out there. Ref gives a free kick. But no booking is it...?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:38 pm

And yeah, Sam Kerr, foot like a traction engine. Belting goal.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:43 pm

3 great chances for Australia. Holding firm for now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:43 pm

Get in! Always thought Lauren Hemp was a bit bobbins but she's been unreal today.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:45 pm

Fantastic play by Hemp. Turned away and beat a couple of players. Slipped in Russo, who finishes across the keeper!!

3-1 and that, should really be that!

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:23 pm

Very good performance and great goals from England (and the Aussie goal wasn't bad !), they played some decent football & its always good to shut the Aussies up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:28 pm

We beat another very good side on merit. Credit to Oz who have some real talent. Fortunately we have a great defence. Would love to beat Spain and take the World Cup. Well done girls. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:09 pm
So the Spanish reach the final. I had them down as winners pre-tournament and whoever wins tomorrow's game should hope they win it in regulation time as Spain really do keep and move the ball well
Hate to admit it, but Spain are the side I really worry about. The way we defend, constantly running off attackers, we could get torn to ribbons, particularly down the left by the Spanish wingers, unless we're really "on the ball". All the Spanish players are fast, confident and skilled and they play a hundred per cent aggressive with more than a little fouling and all the tricks of the trade. The Spanish and Italians wrote the books on possession footbalI so I really hope the ref is on the ball here. We played a similar side in Colombia and won, so it's just "keep the faith" and hope the girls can do it. :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:41 am

I've watched all England's games and a few other's, personally I don't think we need to fear the Spanish but we need to tighten up on the few silly give away passes we seem to make every game.
One thing that is impressive is the way heads don't drop with the team showing absolute grit and determination, well impressed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:13 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:41 am
I've watched all England's games and a few other's, personally I don't think we need to fear the Spanish but we need to tighten up on the few silly give away passes we seem to make every game.
One thing that is impressive is the way heads don't drop with the team showing absolute grit and determination, well impressed.
Little I’ve seen of it thus far is that Spain are eye catching but I still think we have the better individual players to make the most of big moments when they arrive. But it’s a final so who knows.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:21 pm

I'm hoping England don't follow Bolton running off the opposition style defending. Lucy Bronze is particularly vulnerable at this. Adopt the wolf-pack style and take it to Spain. They, without a doubt will go Wigan style full pressure. Come on girls, be the aggressors.

:Jedi:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:21 pm
I'm hoping England don't follow Bolton running off the opposition style defending. Lucy Bronze is particularly vulnerable at this. Adopt the wolf-pack style and take it to Spain. They, without a doubt will go Wigan style full pressure. Come on girls, be the aggressors.

And thus it played. I've been advocating dropping Lucy Bronze for a fair while and sure enough she gave the ball away trying to outrun the Spanish midfield and it cost us the game. We were bullied by a committed side who savaged our passing game by sheer tough (and at times blatant fouling) football) Hope we learn the lesson.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:11 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:21 pm

And thus it played. I've been advocating dropping Lucy Bronze for a fair while and sure enough she gave the ball away trying to outrun the Spanish midfield and it cost us the game. We were bullied by a committed side who savaged our passing game by sheer tough (and at times blatant fouling) football) Hope we learn the lesson.
Aye mate. They put it in the space she vacated and a well taken goal..