Womens football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Womens football

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:36 pm

For Tango and I to chat on at least!

Just tried to get tickets for Arsenal women vs Man Utd at The Emirates in a couple of weeks time in the WSL (tickets £16.50 adults, £9.15 juniors to answer the inevitable question - I pay from £28 upwards for adult and £10 kids for the men’s PL games, cheaper often for cups in comparison) and I can’t even get 2 together, never mind 5, the only tickets left are a few odd singles dotted around the stadium. Now I know that I left it quite late (and the tickets may have been slightly cheaper on an early bird offer) but as far as I know, no, there aren’t tons given away. Arsenal women have played at The Emirates several times already this season, all to crowds of 45k and up including at least one sell out against Chelsea and they have added an extra fixture (Leicester city) to the others to come too due to popular demand. Borehamwood where they are supposed to play most of their home games is pretty much sold out just to ST holders every match as it’s tiny so I’m intrigued as to how the club are going to manage the rapid growth of the women’s team support going forwards. I know Arsenal lead the way in terms of support in the women’s game compared to other clubs and that they may not have this issue yet but clearly Arsenal have outgrown Borehamwood, yet the club have said there is no space available in London to build a football ground for say 25-30k which is not unreasonable they would fill given the popularity of the emirates matches which are now not a once a season one off but regularly drawing big crowds. Looks like long term the plan is to play all the women’s games at The Emirates which I think is a really exciting development.

Further reading https://arseblog.news/2023/12/arsenal-w ... explainer/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Womens football

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:51 pm

I wouldn't be so bold as to forecast where Women's soccer is headed G.G, only hoping it's upwards. Was sorry and a bit surprised to see Steph Haughton left out of the England squad. I always rated her and Millie Bright as top central defenders. Times and names are moving on and changing. Que Sera...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:18 pm

Steph Houghton is getting on a bit now Tango, past her prime. Though I’d rather not talk women’s football today after our disastrous showing against West Ham. Thankfully the men managed to cheer me up a few hours later. Great performance from them, Gabriel throwing the ball pretty much into his own net apart!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:13 am

At the weekend I saw Ajax against Feyenord women, it's a Klassiker so they played in the Johan Cruyff arena. Decent crowd. They seem to put blocks on sale until they sell out, then put more blocks on. It was just the lower tier and the ends were empty. Ten euros for adults.

I get why they wouldn't want to have all the games in the big stadium if they're going to be empty. But also, if most fans can't go to a chunk of games because it's in a smaller stadium then how can you really get a proper fan base ?

Ajax women are doing much better than Ajax men at the moment, even though Henderson seems to be very popular. They (women) have a player who is a bit like Lauren James (big hair, attacking, very good) but is 16 and will probably either play for USA or Netherlands at some point. Im not sure I'm able to watch the game but Ajax are playing Chelsea women soon, so that would probably be interesting to watch.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:45 pm

England Women play Austria tonight. I.T.V 7-45.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:50 pm

I'm washing my hair, unfortunately.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:50 pm
I'm washing my hair, unfortunately.
Pity, a makeshift team knocked 7 past Austria. Conceded 2 back, both headed corners, and it was just a friendly, but 7-2 is no bad display. Half the regulars weren't even on the subs bench.

MattySlug
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MattySlug » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:07 am

Today / Tonight Uzbekistan - Australia Olympic Qualifier 1st Leg

2nd leg this coming Wednesday in Melbourne
I can’t really afford the $90 for two tickets I’ll have to watch it on the telly

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:01 am

MattySlug wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:07 am
Today / Tonight Uzbekistan - Australia Olympic Qualifier 1st Leg

2nd leg this coming Wednesday in Melbourne
I can’t really afford the $90 for two tickets I’ll have to watch it on the telly
Best of luck Matty .. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)

MattySlug
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MattySlug » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:48 pm

Scored after 72 minutes game ended 0-3 ! :D

I mainly watched on delay 1 minute delay but i was on phone to friend who saw it live on telly

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:49 pm

England women ITV 4 at 5-0 to warm us up for Wigan at 7-45

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:51 pm

England v Sweden 8-0 'clock ITV tnight. .

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:51 pm
England v Sweden 8-0 'clock ITV tnight. .
Our girl Russo scoring the opener. Might name one of our new chicks after her in honour!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:13 pm

She’s got a nasty gash

On her shin. Where she went off and presumably had a couple of stitches before coming back on to score the opener.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:26 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:13 pm
She’s got a nasty gash

On her shin. Where she went off and presumably had a couple of stitches before coming back on to score the opener.
Missed the start, was watching netball! Rare it’s on the bbc. So long as she’s ok for Arsenal!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:30 pm

Bit disappointing result but Sweden were a good side. Lauren Hemp is by far our best player. Runs her socks off every game. Still baffled as to where Lucy Bronze is supposed to be playing. she's classed as a right back but is regularly caught out of position. We might easily have lost tonight.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:13 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:13 pm
She’s got a nasty gash
:shock: