Pigs might fly...Charlton (h) 28th Jan 2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Pigs might fly...Charlton (h) 28th Jan 2017

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:3-1 Bolton win....

However, if we don't win the team won't deserve automatic promotion IMO after the Swindon result, very important game this - if we don't win today we could be a long way adrift of the top two, regardless of the games in hand, and IMO we would be looking more at finishing in 3rd or 4th place more than 2nd.

Fingers crossed that the players are up for this game
You don't help yourself pal, do you? What's going through your head when you write that...
Its just my opinion squire nothing more nothing less, certainly nothing for you to concern yourself with
So, let me get this right, PT. If we don't win today but at the end of the season finish with the second largest points haul in the division, you'll still be of the opinion that our promotion will be undeserved because we didn't beat Charlton at home? Really?
I'd be absolutely delighted with it if we somehow manage to get automatic promotion, but IMO I think todays game could make or break our chances.....no science behind it just my gut feel.

With regards to being undeserved, its not just about today / Charlton - personally I feel that if we lose today after already losing at home to Oxford & Swindon, only managing draws at home to MK Dons, Southend and losing away to the likes of Chesterfield then it would mean that the team didn't deserve a top 2 spot because they aren't a particularly good team.

However I think we will win today, but personally I would write automatic promotion off if we lost.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Peter Thompson wrote: I'd be absolutely delighted with it if we somehow manage to get automatic promotion, but IMO I think todays game could make or break our chances.....no science behind it just my gut feel.

With regards to being undeserved, its not just about today / Charlton - personally I feel that if we lose today after already losing at home to Oxford & Swindon, only managing draws at home to MK Dons, Southend and losing away to the likes of Chesterfield then it would mean that the team didn't deserve a top 2 spot because they aren't a particularly good team.

However I think we will win today, but personally I would write automatic promotion off if we lost.
I hear what you're saying, fella, but failing to beat teams who we should be looking to beat isn't exclusive to us.

Oldham Athletic 2-0 Peterborough United and Sheffield United 0-2 Fleetwood Town only this week tell me that this season has a long way to run yet.

I'm as frustrated as the next man that we haven't capitilised on the opportunity to move clear of the pack, but I certainly won't be writing our season off (or otherwise) by dint of today's result.

That said, we're going to win 2-0 anyway ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:24 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:I think we will win today, but personally I would write automatic promotion off if we lost.
I do like reading your posts, PT, but you have to admit that you may be somewhat prone to the sweeping dramatic statement. :D

For the record, my favourite was this one from last summer:
Peter Thompson wrote:It'll be fine - we'll go up next season, believe me (my only caveat is that we will however be relegated again if they appoint the managerial dinosaur that is Peter Reid)
Quite an interesting read, that thread... note the Deano quote at the bottom of p67 about the need to start getting along with Ken...

(TBF, PT, you quickly said that predicting relegation might be a bit OTT)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Usual starting XI. Conor Wilkinson on bench along with Proctor, Clayton, Trotter, Moxey, Derik and Jake Turner

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Usual starting XI. Conor Wilkinson on bench along with Proctor, Clayton, Trotter, Moxey, Derik and Jake Turner
And interestingly, no Chris Taylor.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Usual starting XI. Conor Wilkinson on bench along with Proctor, Clayton, Trotter, Moxey, Derik and Jake Turner
And interestingly, no Chris Taylor.
Quite so. And there will be a few hoping it's the last time Trotter's a Trotter.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Me and the dog have just come back in from testing the conditions out there. Not very nice but not arctic. Plenty wet stuff but not over cold. Mind you, on the Hill it might be a degree or two chillier than Plodder lane, but hey-ho, the lads from down sarf-east Lunnon might find it er, interesting. Anyway, as ever on Radio Tango its a rousing "COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Plenty chat from Zico about Liverpool losing, then a bit of comment about the business in hand. Usual starters as D.S.B reports, so hopefully it's a Madine day today. No way a couple of goals wouldn't give his confidence a boost, so, fingers crossed. Tower Radio in full advert mode right now, but only a couple of minutes to the off....Bring it on.... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:06 pm

And.....away we go...Bolton's answer to Morecambe and Wise, ie, Tony Kelly and Chris Price chat about a fracking protest outside the ground then Madine gets an early touch. Throw us and Henry takes advantage. We have possession again and go forth against the red and white bedecked Visitors. Another throw us and then Beavers gets a free kick for a foul. A wallop from Ben and that ends in a throw to them. We go again and Ben wallops once more. Madine, Wilson, Henry, Spearing, Taylor and......Vela wins a corner. And.....some chat then....a low. poor one results but that results in a free them for offside. Madine again and.....we lose it but ends with Ben. Madine, Henry and.....Thorpe and....loses out and they break.....we recover, they grabit back, a bit of to and fro. Lively start....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Ath Cols go ahead in their game, then the addicks visit. Beevers clears at the second attempt then concedes a throw. And....and...cleared and a throw to us. Taylor sends it forth and....Madine....no foul (surprise) then ref Robert Jones give the visitors one instead. Henry send one forward, they send it back and break. They come and...we clear but they get a shot in that Ben saves low down.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Meanwhile, bit of mic chat then....the Addicks try, we cleart and break and......Vela was throught on goal, an Addick gets a red and is off....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Vela nodded the ball past a defender who chopped him and left the play.....1-0 US...cLOUGH... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Zac wove his magic from 25yds and we take the lead. Bolton v the ten.... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 pm

And now, excitement pulsating (good word that) then...they get a dubious corner which Beevers clears. They come at us, Wison and Taylor clear and Zico is sqeaking like a budgie i delight. Some visitor fans apparently aren't over happy (mic lads recxkon about 300/400) We have a passage of possesion then....a throw us and....Thorpe, Taylor, Thorpe, Spearing, Wheater....then we get another throw. Zico reckong Wheater will get a nose bleed so far forward, then....we go to Bury.
Back in inner space, a bit of chat then Wilson goes forth and...a bit more chats, some scores then Henry.....and....Zac has a blast that skims over the bar....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Some head tennis, then the ball goes back and the Addicks wallop it forth. Throw them now and....and....wouldn't it be nice to get another, maybe two, steady now... before half time . Wilson takes a throw now and mic lads have a chat then the Addicks have a free kick and.....and...its 1-1.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:27 pm

A 25 yarder somehow ends up in the net and a comfortable lead has disappeared. Come on lads, buck up.....they come again and....we clear via Wilson who goes. Ball ends back with their keepr. We geta free kick, Wheater, Beevers, a mic chat and.....Zac, and the mic lads blast the ref for a poor decision. And....we go to Bury.....who score via James Vaghan. We go and....ohhh, we hit the post/bar...and....Wilson and....Madine and...we get a throw. . Zico advises patience and Zac blasts one over the bar.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Thirty gone, Addicks down to ten men and 1-1 the score. Veal goes and gets held back, ref ignores that and we go again. Taylor, Thorpe, Spearing and again the ref gets blasted for ignoring a foul in Madine.....Zac and....keeper saves...
Some scores (including Wickham leading at Spurs)...Vela goes offside and a bit of mic chat.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:35 pm

They visit, and get a hrow. Henry and Thorpe try and the Addicks have a throw. Keeper wallops but we get a throw that goes back to Ben. Apprently it was a Ben error that let the goal in. Addicks come forth and we give a foul away on Aribo?
And......they are around out box. Vela half-clears, Aribo comes back then we recover and win a throw. Zac, Henry, Thorpe, Taylor....and they clear for a throw to us. Henry, Wilson, Zac....Thorpe and....Vela gets a heador on target but the keeper has it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Beevers gets a yellow to the dismay and anger of Zico. Free them then.....it goes in, comes back from our clearance and....Watts does well but the ref misses a corner to them. Beevers got well turned there apparently. Wilson now, Wheater, Beevers, Spearing, and.....Henry can't reach that. Annoying about that soft equaliser but....onwards. Ruud clears, Wheater heads back, they win it and .....away we go. Zac, Spearing Taylor and......ooohhhh, the keeper has to flap a Spearing effort clear for a throw. And, Wilson and....Beevers, Taylor, Zac, Thorpe, Speraring, Wilson and.....we get a free kick and Watt gets a booking. Zico reckons ref is a joke.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Rudd....and it goes out fgfor a throw. Bit of to and throw then Watts beats Wheater but is stopped by Beevers. Come on lads, get a grip back on it.....Taylor, Zac,,,,,Taylor, Zac, Vela.....and it goes to the keeper. Spurs two down to Wickham.
Now, with half-time fast approaching, Addicks get another card. Free us and.....they clear. Taylor again, Spearing, Vela....Taylor, Spearing, and.....Thorpe and....they get a free kick. Must be half-time now, (two extra minutes) and the score is 1-2...at the break....XXXXXXXINGGGG HXXXXXXLLLL