Pigs might fly...Charlton (h) 28th Jan 2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pigs might fly...Charlton (h) 28th Jan 2017

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Well, if I thought that Rochdale away was bad then this was on a different planet. Firstly, Parky, why when playing at home are we starting with a man in front of the back four at the expense of a forward only for you to change it when we're chasing the game?
For their first goal Ben Alnwick's at fault for me for going half-way to the free kick to the back post. I'd also like to which of ours came second to the header.
Now then, on their second the lad running through clearly handles the ball, there's no doubt about that and it was appalling that the clear-sighted ref ignored it. However, forget that and concentrate on this. A team of team of ten men turned defence into attack by running through the middle with the ball and subsequently scoring in under 10 seconds. Beevers, who was absolutely fecking dreadful today, seemed to fall over his own feet, the guy runs through, Wheater comes across and takes a swipe at fresh air. Truly awful defending the likes of which I haven't seen since Zat Knight. Only two players came out of today's game with any credit and that was the full backs, although Wilson did appear to be getting sucked into it towards the end. How many times were we caught in possession today? - It's a fecking hanging offence!!! Then late on when we have four centre forwards on we put balls into the box and not a single one of them has either the nous or the bollocks to attack the ball.
I'm really interested to learn what Parkinson has to say about that because it was truly and utterly disgraceful.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49 pm

I know that I'll get the usual shite on here from the usual lemmings, because I say what I see and don't dress anything up - although admittedly I'm very black & white on all things BWFC - but that today was a fcuking disgrace - after Swindon & today the players & manager should be ashamed and apologise to the paying fans for that shambolic performance.

Charlton deserved it, we created nothing against a 10 man (for 80 mins !) Charlton team missing several first team players - we were outworked, outfought & out thought, their players pressed us and appeared much fitter, much stronger & far more energetic and committed.

Saying that it wasn't 11 x 10 really it was 9 x 10 because playing with Madine & Thorpe we may as well have played for 9 - I haven't got a clue what Parkinson does in training, our play is so fecking slow & predicatable, our tempo is pedestrian / slow, we have no one prepared to run with the ball or pass the ball quickly or create anything - we are a team of robots, its all so predicable to play against - Parkinson's 'non' football is awful to watch and has been all season apart from 1 or 2 games - its just painfully slow sideways, sideways, back, sideways, sideways, back & repeat - oh but then hoof it to the absolutely abysmal Madine.

I don't give a shite what stick I get on here - that was appalling....we will struggle to get into the play-off's never mind the top two - the club is a shambles on & off the pitch, the players think they are better than they are and the manager is utterly clueless in his both his tactics and how to change games when things aren't going to plan.

Today was a new low in the recent history / performances of BWFC - disgraceful IMO....that was Freedman all over again, the summary of Parkinson's incompetence was bringing Wilkinson on, the look on people's faces was amazing, people where genuinely laughing at the situation as if to say how much more shit do the fans have to put up with at this club.

I seriously don't know if Parkinson has a clue how to play fluent, passing, attacking, quick tempo football - we must be the slowest, most pedestrian, predictable team in League 1 - with a team full of so called championship level players earning way more than any other team in League 1 by some distance.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 pm

If I were you, PT, I'd prepare myself for the shock of having people agreeing with you, mate. ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Oh, and just in case anyone didn't notice, Keshi Anderson scored a hat-trick today for Northampton today. :roll:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Parkinson has done an absolute fantastic job with effectively his hands tied behind his back. He can only have a squad of 23 and we are carrying a number of players who are deadwood.

He doesn't have a squad to work with.

Proctor and C Taylor look like poor signings, but I rather suspect he signed them when he wasn't sure he'd be able to get anyone else. Plus they both were regulars for play off teams in this division last year.

Parky is great. He turned a team that couldn't buy a result into one troubling the top of the division.

The issue is you can't maintain that with effectively only 11 or 12 viable players.

The embargo is a huge issue. As is letting Ameobi go.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:I know that I'll get the usual shite on here from the usual lemmings, because I say what I see and don't dress anything up - although admittedly I'm very black & white on all things BWFC - but that today was a fcuking disgrace - after Swindon & today the players & manager should be ashamed and apologise to the paying fans for that shambolic performance.

Charlton deserved it, we created nothing against a 10 man (for 80 mins !) Charlton team missing several first team players - we were outworked, outfought & out thought, their players pressed us and appeared much fitter, much stronger & far more energetic and committed.

Saying that it wasn't 11 x 10 really it was 9 x 10 because playing with Madine & Thorpe we may as well have played for 9 - I haven't got a clue what Parkinson does in training, our play is so fecking slow & predicatable, our tempo is pedestrian / slow, we have no one prepared to run with the ball or pass the ball quickly or create anything - we are a team of robots, its all so predicable to play against - Parkinson's 'non' football is awful to watch and has been all season apart from 1 or 2 games - its just painfully slow sideways, sideways, back, sideways, sideways, back & repeat - oh but then hoof it to the absolutely abysmal Madine.

I don't give a shite what stick I get on here - that was appalling....we will struggle to get into the play-off's never mind the top two - the club is a shambles on & off the pitch, the players think they are better than they are and the manager is utterly clueless in his both his tactics and how to change games when things aren't going to plan.

Today was a new low in the recent history / performances of BWFC - disgraceful IMO....that was Freedman all over again, the summary of Parkinson's incompetence was bringing Wilkinson on, the look on people's faces was amazing, people where genuinely laughing at the situation as if to say how much more shit do the fans have to put up with at this club.

I seriously don't know if Parkinson has a clue how to play fluent, passing, attacking, quick tempo football - we must be the slowest, most pedestrian, predictable team in League 1 - with a team full of so called championship level players earning way more than any other team in League 1 by some distance.
You often resort to hyperbole and are rightly called out on it, but you have a point here and it's something that I've been thinking for a few weeks now. We pick the same players and the same system every game, which is understandable when we're winning most of the time, however I think that we've been worked out. Opponents know that if they get in tight on Clough and whoever we have on the other flank then we have little else to fall back on. Both ourselves and Scunny were 2-1 down after an hour today. Now, contrast their result with ours and you can see why they're were they are and why we aren't.

What I wouldn't give for a fully fit Mark Davies right now.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Parkinson has done an absolute fantastic job with effectively his hands tied behind his back. He can only have a squad of 23 and we are carrying a number of players who are deadwood.

Proctor and C Taylor look like poor signings, but I rather suspect he signed them when he wasn't sure he'd be able to get anyone else. Plus they both were regulars for play off teams in this division last year.

Parky is great. He turned a team that couldn't buy a result into one troubling the top of the division.

The issue is you can't maintain that with effectively only 11 or 12 viable players.

We hardly let him go, his loan deal expired. In any case, if they re-sign Townsend then I reckon Ameobi's coming back.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Parkinson has done an absolute fantastic job with effectively his hands tied behind his back. He can only have a squad of 23 and we are carrying a number of players who are deadwood.

So if you think PP is great, then it must be our players that are not good enough, even though most are 'on paper' better than most others in league 1.

I'm a bit confused BWFCI with what you've posted - we played our best / regular XI today, So if its not PP, please tell us which players who played today are not good enough to play / succeed in League 1 - personally I think you give PP far to much credit, most if not all of the other League 1 managers would love to have the squad of players that Parkinson has.
Last edited by Peter Thompson on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Nicko58 wrote:

We hardly let him go, his loan deal expired. In any case, if they re-sign Townsend then I reckon Ameobi's coming back.
Which would be good. But we've slipped a lot of ground this month. As I said the other day. And lost momentum in the process.

Very frustrating. Others have strengthened across the month. We've not and clearly one or two are struggling. But we haven't the options to properly replace them. Whatever happens now, I think waiting till the end of this window has cost us automatic promotion. And further, depending on the next two days we may slip further.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:

So if you think PP is great, then it must be our players that are not good enough, even though most are 'on paper' better than most others in league 1.

I'm a bit confused BWFCI with what you've posted - we played our best / regular XI today, So if its not PP, please tell us which players who played today are not good enough to play / succeed in League 1 - personally I think you give PP far to much credit, most if not all of the other League 1 managers would love to have the squad of players that Parkinson has.
At the end of last season, you said that all the players were gutless overpaid losers and we had to replace them all if we didn't want to go down again.

The turn around has been great. The trouble is two fold. One we have too small a squad. Likes of Vela who had a fantastic run of form in Decemeber is visibly struggling now. Just 1% off the energy levels makes a huge difference.

We've got some good players but so have plenty other sides in this division. What we don't have is a regular goalscorer or many goals from midfield. Before Ameobi found his feet we looked poor. He just gave us the balance and extra little bit of oomph going forward and balanced the system. Without him we once again look flat footed.

No manager is perfect, but for me he's as good as we will get.

I think going forwards there are several teams better than us. And defensively we were right up there but our standards have definitely slipped there.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Oh, and just in case anyone didn't notice, Keshi Anderson scored a hat-trick today for Northampton today. :roll:
Yes - I suspect its probably because Northampton try & play football on the deck and play balls that he can run on to, instead of 60 yard hoofs 4 feet over his head. We could have Ian Wright & Ian Rush in their pomp and they wouldn't score in open play for us, Parkinson is clueless in the attacking / creative aspect of the game, any forward would struggle in Parkinson's robotic / predictable style of play.

We are struggling now because we can't keep clean sheets, and play to PP win 1-0 philosophy - which served us well earlier in the season, but Beevers & Wheater and the keeper have lost confidence and form and to be honest any manager in this division can work out how to play against us.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Oh, and just in case anyone didn't notice, Keshi Anderson scored a hat-trick today for Northampton today. :roll:
Yes - I suspect its probably because Northampton try & play football on the deck and play balls that he can run on to, instead of 60 yard hoofs 4 feet over his head. We could have Ian Wright & Ian Rush in their pomp and they wouldn't score in open play for us, Parkinson is clueless in the attacking / creative aspect of the game, any forward would struggle in Parkinson's robotic / predictable style of play.

We are struggling now because we can't keep clean sheets, and play to PP win 1-0 philosophy - which served us well earlier in the season, but Beevers & Wheater and the keeper have lost confidence and form and to be honest any manager in this division can work out how to play against us.
Perhaps it is, but it also helps that the lad who was supposed to be marking him got sent off early on and that they were playing the team at the bottom of the league. I don't disagree that we need to be more creative, though.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:54 pm

We were just so bloody ponderous! Very pretty passing it side to side but no one injecting any pace or energy to trouble them. Literally the whole second half was it eventually going wide to Wilson or Taylor and then a terrible ball into the box, the best outcome from that being them hitting the first man and us nicking a corner.

Madine pissed me off today and I think that's my mind definitely made up with him. I've debated all season about whether he is as good as we can hope for, how he can work hard and help others and all that shite. Today we needed a proper forward though. One with movement, one who would be always in the box, one who could pick up some scraps in the area. We had so much possession but he didn't once get himself anywhere with a sniff of goal.

Also, what the hell was he doing bringing Wikinson on for!? I actually thought Henry while not that effective, was one of the only ones who was looking to run with the ball, play a pass, and continue moving looking to pick up a return. We got far shitter when he went off.

It's our lack of plan b that kills us. Clayton was wank, Procter as the striker off the bench offers less goal threat than everyone who was already on the pitch, and I'm not sure what wilkinson is.

Never mind - the last 2 home games have killed us. Giving away leads in both to poor teams. We could be 1 point off top with 2 in hand. As it is, I reckon we're out of it completely with no momentum.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Anyway, what was Peter Odemwingie doing there?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 pm

I have but one question after today, a match which was a consummate lesson in how to play with just ten men; Why is it that for the first ten to twelve minutes of every home game we play at a high tempo, then resort to a pedestrian pace for the remainder of the first half? If I can see it and everyone around me comments on it week in, week out, why has PP not addressed it??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:10 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Created zero chances after the first 20 minutes. Zero. Against ten men.

Absolute shambles. There isn't anyone who can create in this team.
Seems to me finishing is more at fault than creating. How many shots on target second half?
Sideway and backwards bullshit followed by desperate shit shots with no conviction or belief. The stats lie tango
I wan't quoting stats mate, I haven't even seen any. My question was because I hardly heard more than a couple of shots mentioned all half, whilst our possession had me adding "etc". The sort of game, in other words, we might play if we were two up not two down facing ten men. That's what I was saying.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Created zero chances after the first 20 minutes. Zero. Against ten men.

Absolute shambles. There isn't anyone who can create in this team.
Seems to me finishing is more at fault than creating. How many shots on target second half?
Sideway and backwards bullshit followed by desperate shit shots with no conviction or belief. The stats lie tango
I wan't quoting stats mate, I haven't even seen any. My question was because I hardly heard more than a couple of shots mentioned all half, whilst our possession had me adding "etc". The sort of game, in other words, we might play if we were two up not two down facing ten men. That's what I was saying.
We didn't get into shooting positions. We passed it sideways, because not a single player in our team wanted to commit the opposition and run at them.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Few notable moments today.

1. No overlapping run by either full back. We did it plenty of times against Swindon and previous matches but today it seemed like we were afraid to let the LB and RB go forward so the only time they offered any sort of threat it was at walking pace.

2. Josh Vela wasted in holding midfield. His willingness to close down and press the opposition high up the field worked wonders in a few matches this season but sat back soaking up pressure against this Charlton team seemed wasteful.

3. Madine not for being brought off. When he's having a bad game it shows. I don't think he was poor today by his standards, just largely ineffectual yet again. 4 strikers brought on just to get in each others way.

4. Wilkinson loan tied. That's two clubs he's played for now. Which shows us a statement of intent that we're going to keep him or loan him back to Chesterfield again.

5. Lack of pace on the break.

6. We miss Ameobi. The lack of signings and impetus in the transfer market is concerning and is probably having some effect on the players mentality.

Hopefully Parky will get it right.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:55 pm

Sick of arguing regarding Madine because I think he's a waste of a shirt. He has no skill no idea and no pace. "yeah but he gives 100%" said the voice aimed in my direction. Madine can't score goals and for what he does is no use to this team.

From what I have witnessed in recent league games were going to need a lot of good fortune if we are to gain automatic promotion and even the play offs.

I know the club is still in deep shit and we can't afford a goal scorer but please Parky drop the dead donkey.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:17 pm

Athertonian wrote:Sick of arguing regarding Madine because I think he's a waste of a shirt. He has no skill no idea and no pace. "yeah but he gives 100%" said the voice aimed in my direction. Madine can't score goals and for what he does is no use to this team.

From what I have witnessed in recent league games were going to need a lot of good fortune if we are to gain automatic promotion and even the play offs.

I know the club is still in deep shit and we can't afford a goal scorer but please Parky drop the dead donkey.
How many chances did he miss? I mean he wasn't very good today generally. But you could have Lineker in his pomp up there today and it'd have made no difference. We created nowt.