New broom in a new town MK Dons(a) 4th Feb 2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: New broom in a new town MK Dons(a) 4th Feb 2017

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Its all very well saying this. WHO should we be picking in midfield to produce this sort of quick short passing game, good enough to open teams up?

Its easy to say, stop doing this, and that. But our midfield consists of Spearing (great worker but little quality). Thorpe (see Spearing). Derik (a defensive midfield player with the odd nice pass, but nothing amazing). Vela (not a quality distributor, far more effective doing the hard running behind a front man) and Trotter.

We don't have a Tony Kelly or a Richard Sneekes even. We've got what we've got. It worked beautifully when Ameobi and Clough cut inside and created space for each other and Josh. But now we have to find a different way. But I don't think a silky smooth, short passing game is within our armory. If it, is, could you suggest who we've got to execute it?
Here's me thinking that we've just had a months transfer window & in which he manager brought in 4 attacking players - ALF, Long, Solomon (or whatever he's called) & Morais. So potentially if he wanted another central midfield I'm sure his scouts could have identified 1 or 2 midfield players out there he could have brought in instead of say Long, Morais or Solomon OR are you saying that you know for a fact that there where definitely no midfielders available on loan or on free's better than what we've currently got - surely with Pratley & M Davies out since the start of the season he should have made a central midfielder a priority in the Jan window ?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 am

[quote="Abdoulaye's Twin"]We've got Henry, Clayton and the new boys that are all capable of moving the ball on the floor at this level. Even Vela is more than capable of playing to feet. players we need to be giving and moving to look for gaps to put ALF and Long through. So instead of hoofing it we need the ball to go through midfield to these players faster than the current ponderous play. We don't need Spearing and Thorpe to play fancy balls, just move it quickly and simply. It's a mindset.[/quote]

This absolutely AT - its either a mind set or the managers instructions either way it needs to change quickly or it will be absolutely pointless bringing ALF back. As I said in a previous post the manager had the opportunity to bring someone in who can run, pass & move through central midfield, if our current midfielders are incapable.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:46 am

Derik couldn't tackle his dinner. I've never seen a softer player in the challenge. A luxury man who coasts through the game not wanting to get mud on his kit. A team-mate's nightmare, at this level. Bit like the pudding upfront. We go with what we've got. Obviously the academy ain't up to much at present otherwise we'd be throwing a couple in for 10-15 minute cameos.

The thing about quick passing and movement on the deck - it requires good full-backs...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:46 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Its all very well saying this. WHO should we be picking in midfield to produce this sort of quick short passing game, good enough to open teams up?

Its easy to say, stop doing this, and that. But our midfield consists of Spearing (great worker but little quality). Thorpe (see Spearing). Derik (a defensive midfield player with the odd nice pass, but nothing amazing). Vela (not a quality distributor, far more effective doing the hard running behind a front man) and Trotter.

We don't have a Tony Kelly or a Richard Sneekes even. We've got what we've got. It worked beautifully when Ameobi and Clough cut inside and created space for each other and Josh. But now we have to find a different way. But I don't think a silky smooth, short passing game is within our armory. If it, is, could you suggest who we've got to execute it?
Here's me thinking that we've just had a months transfer window & in which he manager brought in 4 attacking players - ALF, Long, Solomon (or whatever he's called) & Morais. So potentially if he wanted another central midfield I'm sure his scouts could have identified 1 or 2 midfield players out there he could have brought in instead of say Long, Morais or Solomon OR are you saying that you know for a fact that there where definitely no midfielders available on loan or on free's better than what we've currently got - surely with Pratley & M Davies out since the start of the season he should have made a central midfielder a priority in the Jan window ?
We are beg borrowing and stealing.

I think we are in general agreement that our midfield isn't good enough. The trouble is that it was perfect when we had Clough and Ameobi.

If you listen to Marc Iles he said on the LoV podcast that up until the last few days of the window we were focussing on trying to get Ameobi back in or a suitable replacement. Then at the last minute the plan deviated, probably with the Clough thing.

I don't think much of this is down to Parky. He's lost the two creative players we had. Plus Mark Davies. There may have been midfielders about but it is a big ask to find one who would be ready to come in and do a job. I suspect in an ideal world we wouldn't be signing anyone in January given our restrictions.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 am

What so its not Parkinson's fault that we don't create chances, don't pass through midfield and continue to aimlessly play boring hoof ball to can't be arsed Trevor 'Madine' Morgan up front and haven't won a game in 2017.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:We are beg borrowing and stealing.

I think we are in general agreement that our midfield isn't good enough. The trouble is that it was perfect when we had Clough and Ameobi.

If you listen to Marc Iles he said on the LoV podcast that up until the last few days of the window we were focussing on trying to get Ameobi back in or a suitable replacement. Then at the last minute the plan deviated, probably with the Clough thing.

I don't think much of this is down to Parky. He's lost the two creative players we had. Plus Mark Davies. There may have been midfielders about but it is a big ask to find one who would be ready to come in and do a job. I suspect in an ideal world we wouldn't be signing anyone in January given our restrictions.
If its not Parkinson's fault how come Sheff Utd, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood etc. all appear to be able to play more fluent, passing, quicker tempo football than Parkinson's BWFC team. Have all of these teams got better midfielders than us OR could it be that Parkinson appears incapable of playing through midfield or playing any other style / way than hoof ball to Madine. Admittedly this worked for a while earlier in the season when the back four where rock solid and we never looked like conceding, but now we are conceding goals on a regular basis his hoof ball try and score 1st & then defend policy isn't working.

He should have been looking at potential central midfielders (that he could possibly get in January) the minute that M Davies got injured and was out for the season unless perhaps he was banking on Pratley being fit for the 2nd half of the season....which if so I can probably understand....but something isn't right when almost every team we play in League 1 have a more mobile, more energetic, more creative midfield than our 'championship' level midfielders.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:34 am

Why would the manager look for attacking, passing midfielders in the window, when he doesn't want them?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:42 am

boltonboris wrote:Why would the manager look for attacking, passing midfielders in the window, when he doesn't want them?
Quite - he has to buy players that play to the plan he's working on. If that's get it up the field quick then that's who he's going to look to buy...

We've been looking for this alleged creative midfielder for as long as the 20 goal a season premiership striker (of whom there's been 5 since the Prem began, with all but one, prior to 1997)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:43 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:We are beg borrowing and stealing.

If its not Parkinson's fault how come Sheff Utd, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood etc. all appear to be able to play more fluent, passing, quicker tempo football than Parkinson's BWFC team. Have all of these teams got better midfielders than us OR could it be that Parkinson appears incapable of playing through midfield or playing any other style / way than hoof ball to Madine. Admittedly this worked for a while earlier in the season when the back four where rock solid and we never looked like conceding, but now we are conceding goals on a regular basis his hoof ball try and score 1st & then defend policy isn't working.

He should have been looking at potential central midfielders (that he could possibly get in January) the minute that M Davies got injured and was out for the season unless perhaps he was banking on Pratley being fit for the 2nd half of the season....which if so I can probably understand....but something isn't right when almost every team we play in League 1 have a more mobile, more energetic, more creative midfield than our 'championship' level midfielders.
Which of those teams are under transfer embargoes, and which of them just had to sell their only creative player to pay the clubs wages?

C'mon he's been working under incredibly restrictions. He found a way to make it work first half of the season. Then had those tools taken away and has to find a different way.

I maintain that no realistically gettable manager would do a better job in our circumstances. I remember Neil Lennon's "lets play attacking football" mantra and how far that got us.

In our position we need some healthy realism alongside any ambition. The club is still in a total mess. Parky under those circumstances is doing a great job. I hope it doesn't go tits up, suspect it might. But I don't for one minute believe the squad has turned out how he'd have chosen under normal circumstances.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:46 am

boltonboris wrote:Why would the manager look for attacking, passing midfielders in the window, when he doesn't want them?
I'd say that is nonsense. He played Mark Davies and Sammy when they were available.

He had systems to get the best out of the creativity. He's not some reckless Owen Coyle/Neil Lennon all out attack fool. But neither is he ultra cautious. He picks balanced teams when he's been able to.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Coming to something when 'four decent games a season' Mark Davies is being spun as the problem missing from midfield.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Hoboh wrote:Coming to something when 'four decent games a season' Mark Davies is being spun as the problem missing from midfield.
Well, not saying that. But if you take three most creative players out of Scunthorpe, and have them under a transfer embargo, it may, put a different complexion on their season. Just as it has ours.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'd say that is nonsense. He played Mark Davies and Sammy when they were available.

He had systems to get the best out of the creativity. He's not some reckless Owen Coyle/Neil Lennon all out attack fool. But neither is he ultra cautious. He picks balanced teams when he's been able to.
Final question from me on this....if he's a decent manager in your eyes, why does he continue to select the totally ineffective & useless stump Madine week in week out even though its not working, and also why does he continue his 'lets not play through midfield' system, and instead opts for lets play slowly at a snails pace and play sideways passing for a few minutes and then after passing sideways for a while then pass it back to Beevers to launch 60 yard balls somewhere in the direction of Madine.

Is he also not ultra cautious playing 2 holding midfielders in almost every game ?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Peter Thompson wrote: If its not Parkinson's fault how come Sheff Utd, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood etc, etc, etc .
Possibly because of five new players who have never had a game together before Saturday, two decent full backs injured, our best two players (one sold last week, one back home), gone, ten minutes with ten men in an away game (repeat to boredom to a team who have scored 9 goals in their last two games), one mistake by a substitute full back
that turned a win and three points into a draw and one point etc,etc.....

oh, and none of them are absolutely skint, up to their bollocks in debt so much they can't pay staff and have to sell probably their best prospect off on the cheap to do it a couple of days before the game and no real prospects of that changing soon. Despite all this we are in third place in the league with two games in hand which, if we win can turn the egg-timer right upside down could put us right back in contention with all those top boys......

and a partridge in a pear tree..of course, all sung to the Twelve days of Christmas tune.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Final question from me on this....if he's a decent manager in your eyes, why does he continue to select the totally ineffective & useless stump Madine week in week out even though its not working, and also why does he continue his 'lets not play through midfield' system, and instead opts for lets play slowly at a snails pace and play sideways passing for a few minutes and then after passing sideways for a while then pass it back to Beevers to launch 60 yard balls somewhere in the direction of Madine.

Is he also not ultra cautious playing 2 holding midfielders in almost every game ?
Because he's till now been the best lone striker we've had to fit the system.

As for 2 defensive midfield players, take a look at the premiership league table. Not done Chelsea much harm has it. In fact I'd say 2 holding midfield players in the modern systems is virtually a necessity in many cases.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Okay, I meant, why would he use his sparse resources on shoehorning players into a system that he isn't really that bothered about improving the style of

And I mean centrally, not wide

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Okay, I meant, why would he use his sparse resources on shoehorning players into a system that he isn't really that bothered about improving the style of

Genuine question...do you think he really has all that much control over who we sign? Or do you think he's presented with options, and has to pick and make the best of it.

I really think if there was a quality type who could improve us in there he'd have gone for it. I know for a fact he tried for one of those in the summer and the club couldn't afford it....but that is another story.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Genuine question...do you think he really has all that much control over who we sign? Or do you think he's presented with options, and has to pick and make the best of it.
I'd really like to think the owner/board etc are working together with our manager to do the best they all can to get the club back on its feet. If they aren't, then we're back with a Big San leaving scenario and might as well pack up ...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'd really like to think the owner/board etc are working together with our manager to do the best they all can to get the club back on its feet. If they aren't, then we're back with a Big San leaving scenario and might as well pack up ...
I'm sure they are. But we can only sign frees and loan players. And only loan players where there is no loan fee.

So there are restrictions. I think modern day football is often a manager choosing who he might want rather than doing the whole recruitment himself. So I strongly suspect Ken and his son ask Parky if he'd be interested in "x,y,z" and Parky says "ok or not" on them. I'm not saying he isn't responsible for who gets brought in, but I'm fully confident that under different circumstances we'd have brought other players in.

For example, had we been able to pay the cash, Ameobi would be here for certain.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I really think if there was a quality type who could improve us in there he'd have gone for it. I know for a fact he tried for one of those in the summer and the club couldn't afford it....but that is another story.
No, I don't think he has full control at all. Which is why I'm not criticising his transfers, or lack of (in some areas)