On parade in the Valley of Glory, or Doom? Bradford (a) 18/2

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: On parade in the Valley of Glory, or Doom? Bradford (a)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:00 pm

A question for the match-goers: Commentators remarked about the state of the pitch a few times and from highlights it does look rough. Was it that way and did it count against us in the first half?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Just seen the highlights. The criticism of Alnwick, well, I think that he was unlucky on the first one but his judgement on the second was dreadful, and nor is it the first time that he's come for something and got nowhere near it. However, on the first goal their player mages to run through our half, surrounded by four of our players, none of whom even attempt a challenge. That, for me, is absolutely appalling. On the second, how the feck is their No. 9 allowed to drift into our six yard box without a white shirt anywhere near him? So let's not pile on the Keeper here, despite him not showering himself in glory, there were more fundamental errors to address, I feel.

On our second goal I'm delighted to see Madine actually anticipate Henry's (excellent) cross and get on the end of it rather than him standing on the penalty spot and expecting it to be played to him. I've been banging on about this for months now. Let's hope he's learned from yesterday.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:With who we have available, who should we go with for Sheffield. We know some players are (benefit of a very big foubt) limited.
If we have to play Moxey, and I concede that we're probably going to have to, then I think that we have to play with a back four and offer him some proper protection in front. From what I've been told Trotter left him very exposed yesterday, and if we're going to play 3-5-2 again then we need the wider two of the midfield three to be able to move across and cover for the wing-backs. My fear is that a combination of Moxey and Trotter on the left will leave them with far too much space to exploit.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I don't believe that Trotter is a useless player - I know that he's capable of splitting the opposition defence with a pass and is somewhat of a goal threat. The thing is though, as I'm sure that you know, he's simply ineffective against a quick-passing midfield that comes on to us as he just doesn't have the mobility to keep up with the play, and I expect Sheffield United's midfield to be exactly that type.

If we can get away with playing Wabara at right-back, then I'd probably try and play a 4-2-3-1 with Derik and Thorpe being the holding two, and Vela behind Madine with Morais on the right and Henry on the left. If we can't then I'd shift Vela to right-back, and put Long (if fit) or VSO behind Madine.

Neither of those scenarios are perfect but I think that it's better that we leave Trotter for the matches where we expect to dominate the midfield, or at least until Taylor is back and capable of getting up and down the left hand side without needing quite as much support as Moxey does.

Is there any news on how long Taylor's out for by the way?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:55 pm

I'd be very intrigued to see some suggested lineups for Bramall Lane. The XI we finished with at Valley Parade featured three wingers, two at wingback and one at No.10 behind two strikers. NFW we can start that way at the league leaders. Yes, we can take the game to them, but that's completely different to going kamikaze.

Pray that Taylor is fit, because if not, I can't see any alternative to Moxey bar maybe, maybe playing Morais on that side in a 352 - and then who goes right? If we are to play 352 and drop Trotter, who else plays in central midfield bar Vela and presumably Thorpe?

EDIT spooky - again the estimable Nicol is in there first. I'd like to see some others too; easy to say "drop him" and "sell him" but we need a workable XI.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'd be very intrigued to see some suggested lineups for Bramall Lane. The XI we finished with at Valley Parade featured three wingers, two at wingback and one at No.10 behind two strikers. NFW we can start that way at the league leaders. Yes, we can take the game to them, but that's completely different to going kamikaze.

Pray that Taylor is fit, because if not, I can't see any alternative to Moxey bar maybe, maybe playing Morais on that side in a 352 - and then who goes right? If we are to play 352 and drop Trotter, who else plays in central midfield bar Vela and presumably Thorpe?

EDIT spooky - again the estimable Nicol is in there first. I'd like to see some others too; easy to say "drop him" and "sell him" but we need a workable XI.
I think that on balance, I'd opt for the tried and tested 4-2-3-1 with Vela behind Madine and Wabara at right-back, if only because that causes the least disruption and because I'm yet to be convinced, despite recent results, that 3-5-2 really works for us. That obviously depends on exactly how fit Wabara is, but he's young and he's been training with us for a couple of weeks, so I think that we just have to throw him in and hope like f*ck that he can last the ninety.

I guess that it's at times likes these that Parky really earns his crust. :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:38 pm

If we manage to get promotion this game will be looked back on as pivotal, coming from behind having to score twice and the old 'heads down' seems to have been banished.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Nicko58 wrote: If we have to play Moxey, and I concede that we're probably going to have to, then I think that we have to play with a back four and offer him some proper protection in front.
See, I think that we have to play him as far up the field as is possible, rather than in a flat back four. I hear the calls of BWFC_I and the likes about him being the only left back in the club, but Allardyce made a decent left back out of Henrik Pedersen. Have we not a single player within the club that can't make a better left back than the utterly clueless Moxey?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:41 pm

What the geezer said above.4231 with moxey given protection throgh not so big Phil. Hopefully the new lad in at right back, with Henry in front of him. Thorpe and Dezzer centre mid with Vela behind Madine. Alf Long and the young birmingham lad can come on then when necessary.

I'm more bothered about Trotter away from home - he seems to suffer massively cos he is slow and public enemy number 1 with the away fans as well. Moxey has a clanger or two in him but if you've got such a defensive centre mid and a hard working winger he at least has protection.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:45 pm

What's Nicky Hunt doing these days? :wink:

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:What's Nicky Hunt doing these days? :wink:
I don't know but I wonder if he ever managed to get that coat hanger out of his shirt?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Playing for Orient, with Orient fans claiming that he'll one day play for England ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Playing for Orient, with Orient fans claiming that he'll one day play for England ;)
I was actually quite surprised to find he's only 33 now. I thought he was about 45 when he played for us... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I was actually quite surprised to find he's only 33 now. I thought he was about 45 when he played for us... :wink:

He'd be better than Trotter ;)

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 am

I'll take a point now from next week but we'd have to make some changes to get anything I suspect. Looking at last year's table suggests that for one of the top two spots, we need to win 9 of our last 15 games to get around the 85 point mark. That's 3 away wins as a minimum and we've still to play several of the top 8 away yet.

If ......IF we can win our home games, then we should safely make the play offs, but we need something from at least Fleetwood away, plus points from those in the chasing pack. Those will only come if we can get back to keeping clean sheets.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 am

Can't find a link, but The Sun evaluation based on our game and prospects reckons that Bradford will make the play-offs and we will get automatically promoted. Hope they're right.... :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

Feels good to have some spirit

Nicky Law remarked that they'd fancy it against us in the play-offs, as man for man they're a better team. Bit of a stretch considering they've amassed less points in more games than we have and have scored less.. Also, we apparently have an ale house clogger as gaffer and they've got Stuart McCuardiola.

Thing is, I don't think I would fancy us against them in the play-offs. Nothing to separate the teams in the games we've played against them, so a real lottery to see which BWFC side would turn up
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:53 pm

We've just beat them on away goals. Keep the faith.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:we apparently have an ale house clogger as gaffer and they've got Stuart McCuardiola.
Heh! Except Guardiola is second, and their genius is eight points behind second place.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:Feels good to have some spirit

Nicky Law remarked that they'd fancy it against us in the play-offs, as man for man they're a better team. Bit of a stretch considering they've amassed less points in more games than we have and have scored less.. Also, we apparently have an ale house clogger as gaffer and they've got Stuart McCuardiola.

Thing is, I don't think I would fancy us against them in the play-offs. Nothing to separate the teams in the games we've played against them, so a real lottery to see which BWFC side would turn up
Depends. If Le Fondre and Long are match fit then along with a few others...we might be a tricky proposition for them.

The teams I'd hate to face in the play-offs would be those who feel they've nowt to lose.

For example, given Millwall's start to the season if they make the play offs they may feel that they can just go for it. Ditto Southend. Those sorts of teams would over two legs or even at Wembley in my view be extremely tricky.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:06 pm

On a few views of the highlights, considering the state of Farmer Giles's ploughed field, I'm not entirely sure Ben was to blame for the first goal. It wasn't a blaster of a shot, took a bobble and I reckon the scorer was the most surprised person involved. One of those things that happen (as in shxt happens) .