Hard to get a Haydon over this one. AFC Wimbledon (H) - 04/03/17 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Hard to get a Haydon over this one. AFC Wimbledon (H) - 04/03/17 3pm

Post by DJBlu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:49 pm

The whites are taking on AFC Wimbledon who come into this game off a 2-1 away win at Scunthorpe.

Should we be worried or will we start March with a win?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Hard to get a Haydon over this one. AFC Wimbledon (H) - 04/03/17 3pm

Post by dave the minion » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 am

We'll start with a win. Go 1-0 up early on (Vela again) and then play out a nervy remainder of the game before nicking another near the end when they are pushing for the equaliser (ALF). Trust me, its a dead cert. What could possibly go wrong.....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:33 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 am
We'll start with a win. Go 1-0 up early on (Vela again) and then play out a nervy remainder of the game before nicking another near the end when they are pushing for the equaliser (ALF). Trust me, its a dead cert. What could possibly go wrong.....
Is vela not suspended, or does that EFL Trophy thing not count?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 pm

We will have had a wake up call and some straight talk (hopefully) so have to hope the fighting unit turn out. I'm predicting a battling display and three goals to return the equilibrium ...and level things up.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Snooze fest. 1-0 either way
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:22 pm

No point packing the midfield if we're just going to launch it at every opportunity. Madine and Alf up top. Morais and young double barrel on the wings, Vela and new bloke kicking owt that comes along the middle.

4-2 win
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 pm

New bloke isn't registered.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:33 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Doesn't count apparently. Their win during the week was the first on the road since October. I can see a second one coming on Saturday.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:59 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm
boltonboris wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
Doesn't count apparently. Their win during the week was the first on the road since October. I can see a second one coming on Saturday.

If both him and Beevers go into the last match of the season on nine bookings and both get a yellow card during it, would that then mean that they're then suspended for the play-off semi finals (assuming that we get there)?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:27 am

Nicko58 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:59 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm
boltonboris wrote:
dave the minion wrote:

If both him and Beevers go into the last match of the season on nine bookings and both get a yellow card during it, would that then mean that they're then suspended for the play-off semi finals (assuming that we get there)?
The slate is wiped clean at some point this month. I have 12 March in mind, but I could well have that wrong.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:44 am

Tony's right, the yellows amnesty is 12 Mar. So they've two more games of tightrope-walking.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am

A 91st minute winner from Long after a one sided battering. Missed opportunities, woodwork battered and bruised, a crowd so appalled by the refereeing that they'd been praying for another collapse in the tunnel at half time, will all add up to a relief so profound the cheers will be heard in Scunthorpe.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:02 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am
A 91st minute winner from Long after a one sided battering. Missed opportunities, woodwork battered and bruised, a crowd so appalled by the refereeing that they'd been praying for another collapse in the tunnel at half time, will all add up to a relief so profound the cheers will be heard in Scunthorpe.
Hate to spoil your imaginary finish, but Long got sent off and will presumably not be turning up today. Not to worry, Gaz will be there to spectacularly miss the target :D

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:04 am

Circumstances have transpired so that I will be in attendance for this one. I have a 100% win record so far this season :). Therefore 2-1 to us.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 am

4 - 0
We're gonna smash em

Come on you Whites !
:pray:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:16 pm

So, whilst we are waiting for the magic formula to brew; Spearing, Pratley fit etc, new lads up to scratch, red carders to report back for duty....etc, what sort of an army can we assemble to fight Wombles on the Winter Hill plains this day?
A toss up between two out of form keepers, who plays where amongst the rest and will the real Gary Madine please stand up? What's the prediction for a line up? Oh, we'll win, but will it be Monty at El Alamain or Monty Python's footballing circus? Comment?...(French accent on that one) :)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Being realistic, it's difficult to see a way he won't play Trotter, especially if he goes 3-5-2 to match Wimbledon. I suppose in a 4-2-3-1, *if* Wabara is retained at right-back, he could choose Thorpe and Derik as the deeper midfielders; alternatively he could pick Vela in that deeper role and play Henry or possibly ALF behind Madine, with Morais and VSO wide. Depends if he thinks the Wombles will sit deep, which (whatever the temptation) might tempt him to field more attack-minded starters. A more defensive opponent might also suit Trotter, making him less vulnerable than he is to those who press hard.

At least Long's suspension means he doesn't have to pick which loanee to leave out, but at the moment our problem is too few, not too many. A friend pointed out that of the team who finished at Bramall Lane – Howard; Dervite, Wheater, Beevers; Morais, Derik, Vela, Henry, Moxey; Long, Clayton – you'd probably only be happy to call four "first-choice", and that's including Howard, who appears to have come back a lot less assured than he went. That shaky confidence is evident throughout the team: I said earlier this season that I didn't worry even when we were defending single-goal leads in front of baying crowds away, but now that faith is replaced by fear, its natural opposite. Trust is hard-won and easily lost, but it can come back, and that might start with a win today.

COYWM.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Alnwick, Dervite, Wheater, Beevers, Taylor, Derik, Thorpe, Morais, Vela, ALF, Madine
Subs Howard, Wabara, Moxey, VSO, Henry, Clayton, Wilko

Commence the guesses at the arrangement. In 4-2-3-1 it could be Dervite at RB, Derik and Thorpe holding, Morais, Vela and ALF off Madine. Or it could be 3-5-2, with Dervite/Wheater/Beevers at the back, Morais right wingback and Taylor left, Derik/Thorpe/Vela in the middle and ALF alongside Madine up top.

Either way, there are five players in that team who can play centre-back. Doubtless some will use that as a stick to beat Parky with (without naming their alternatives, or stating them with the certainty of the unprovable that Their Side Would Have Been Better). I truly hope the XI he's cobbled together manages to win. COYWM.
Attachments
C6FCZdzWgAEsvhS.jpg
C6FCZdzWgAEsvhS.jpg (161.89 KiB) Viewed 3570 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Looks like a few of our "go get em" guns are sitting in the saloon at the onset.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Well, Parky's picked pretty much the only realistic starting eleven that he could. If needs be, I suppose we could always take a risk and bring the wingers on in the late stages if we're chasing something just like we did at Valley Parade. A hard-fought 2-1 victory and a draw in the match between the current 2nd and 3rd will do me.

COYW
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'