The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

Post by dave the minion » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 am

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am
His contract runs out at the end of June - and I pray to God that they dont renew it - because he was a joke in the Championship - and we will really struggle again if we have to rely on him as our centre forward
I still think people are being harsh on Madine, but each to their own opinions and all that.

You "pray to god that they don't renew his contract"? My view would be much more straightforward than that to be honest. If PP and the team think he has a role for us then I hope they do renew his contract. If they agree with you and don't think he can cut it, then I hope they don't. Simples.

Your signature says you believe in Parky - well then, lets just let him get on with making the decisions shall we. The amount of people who come on here and say Madine shouldn't be in the team need to stand back and think that the manager is picking him because he obviously sees something in Madine that warrants his selection. Given where the manager has got us this season against all the clusterf*ck backdrop of the club, then I for one am happy to trust his judgement....

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:58 am

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 am
nelson66 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am
His contract runs out at the end of June - and I pray to God that they dont renew it - because he was a joke in the Championship - and we will really struggle again if we have to rely on him as our centre forward
I still think people are being harsh on Madine, but each to their own opinions and all that.

You "pray to god that they don't renew his contract"? My view would be much more straightforward than that to be honest. If PP and the team think he has a role for us then I hope they do renew his contract. If they agree with you and don't think he can cut it, then I hope they don't. Simples.

Your signature says you believe in Parky - well then, lets just let him get on with making the decisions shall we. The amount of people who come on here and say Madine shouldn't be in the team need to stand back and think that the manager is picking him because he obviously sees something in Madine that warrants his selection. Given where the manager has got us this season against all the clusterf*ck backdrop of the club, then I for one am happy to trust his judgement....

AMEN!!!

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:01 am

If we weren't allowed to express an opinion - then forums would be a bit of a boring place

You have yours - I have mine on all our players - some of whom I find hard to like after they brought us down into the 3rd division - and will continue to express them .... whether I still believe in Parky or not
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

IMG_2162.PNG
IMG_2162.PNG (124.04 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 am

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:01 am

You have yours - I have mine on all our players - some of whom I find hard to like after they brought us down into the 3rd division - and will continue to express them .... whether I still believe in Parky or not
This is what it boils down to. Dislike based on historical performances, clouding judgement of current efforts.

End of the day, nobody expects the current players to be regarded with hero-like status by the fans, but equally there needs to be some balance involved.

Madine is limited. But he does a job nobody else here can do. A very necessary job. And thats why he will be one of the first names on Parky's teamsheet week in week out.

As for renewal, lets see what division we are in, before even considering that.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am
IMG_2162.PNG
Bigger majority than the Torys. Madine for PM :pissed:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm
Nobody can tell me, Madine isn't absolutely crucial to us.

Take him out and we are fecked. Key man.
Worst player in the team by a mile. Amuse me, what exactly did he bring to the game tonight? It's as well that Madine was second to the ball (as usual) when their lad scored the own goal as Madine would have only 4ucked it up. Useless, clumsy and wholly ineffective waste of space.
Either you don't understand football at all, which I don't believe for one second, or your pre conceived dislike is simply clouding your judgement to such an extent. He's doing the exact same job Kevin Davies used to do for us. Only at a lower level. If you can't see that I'm genuinely at a loss for how to explain it. Played a role in 3 of the goals.

Incidentally Bolton vans voted him our man of the match so thankfully most are seeing the same.

Take him out and we are a worse side. By a long stretch. As I believe the statistics this season will clearly show.
There's no comparison whatsoever to be made with Davies. Davies busted a gut. Madine's indolence is little short of criminal, best summed up last night when Long was in their 18 yard box looking for someone to lay it off to and Madine was in the centre circle.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Odd no to see Morais getting at least an odd vote or two for M.O.T.M . A goal, dirctly responsible for a second and a decent game? Though Ben A might have got a few two. But for him it might have been a different tale...He had absolutely no chance with their free kick; I doubt any keeper would, it was perfection.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:18 pm
Odd no to see Morais getting at least an odd vote or two for M.O.T.M . A goal, dirctly responsible for a second and a decent game? Though Ben A might have got a few two. But for him it might have been a different tale...He had absolutely no chance with their free kick; I doubt any keeper would, it was perfection.
Morais was SKY's MotM, Tango. Agreed that Alnwick had no chance with the stunning free kick, and made an incredible save, but what the 4uck was he thinking / doing on their first one?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Worst player in the team by a mile. Amuse me, what exactly did he bring to the game tonight? It's as well that Madine was second to the ball (as usual) when their lad scored the own goal as Madine would have only 4ucked it up. Useless, clumsy and wholly ineffective waste of space.
Either you don't understand football at all, which I don't believe for one second, or your pre conceived dislike is simply clouding your judgement to such an extent. He's doing the exact same job Kevin Davies used to do for us. Only at a lower level. If you can't see that I'm genuinely at a loss for how to explain it. Played a role in 3 of the goals.

Incidentally Bolton vans voted him our man of the match so thankfully most are seeing the same.

Take him out and we are a worse side. By a long stretch. As I believe the statistics this season will clearly show.
There's no comparison whatsoever to be made with Davies. Davies busted a gut. Madine's indolence is little short of criminal, best summed up last night when Long was in their 18 yard box looking for someone to lay it off to and Madine was in the centre circle.
Just can't agree I'm afraid. Last season he was a disgrace. This season he's run himself into the ground, game after game, last night included, for the cause. And kept going right till the end, despite clearly being isolated for a significant period of the game.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

How can you tell that when it's on the telly?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Happy to watch the game live for the second time this season via Sky. An enjoyable game. We played and looked like a good confident team. Scoring 12 times in our last 3 away matches shows that we are. We were toying with the opposition yesterday. Changed pace whenever we felt like. Took the foot off the gas pedal after we went 2 up to save legs. Oxford got confident scored. We pressed gas again. Scored. Promotion is on the horizon. Can we catch Sheffield U? Lets see. I am sure the players believe that.

By the way, to add my 2 cents (pennies), Madine is extremely important to the system we played and he played well in my opinion. When Alfie went off, he was clearly isolated as Long was playing too far off him. He does the dirty work for us and does it well. I remember Big Sam inquiring about him after we played Palace the first time. Lets give him the credit he deserves. He is busting a gut for us as are the other players. The way we are playing, it is possible that we will go unbeaten for the rest of the season. Long live BWFC.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26451&start=20#p1038193

Highlights for those that didn't see the game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

How can you tell that when it's on the telly?
Does the term 'panning out' mean anything to you?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:07 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26451&start=20#p1038193

Highlights for those that didn't see the game.
Already saw them on the excellent 'highlight reel' thread. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 am
League one is probably his level. But that isn't the point. He does a critical job for us. The same job Davies did at a higher level. The comparison is in what they do. Incidentally Madine has an ever so slightly higher goals to game ratio than Davies did here. Yes at a lower level. But isn't that the point? Madine is a lower league player, playing for us in a lower league? That doesn't take away the job he is doing.

The vote btw is the official club vote on twitter. I didn't vote, and I'd probably have given MoTM to Vela last night. But Madine wasn't far behind.

As for the first goal, the ball was behind him. It was a decent effort and an excellent save. On the third, but for the defender Madine would have headed it. So I'm not really sure what the point is there. He was right on top of the defender.

Take Madine out, and do you think we'd be anywhere as effective? I think the stats show that when he's been missing we've struggled big time. Coincidence? Not for me. Just like Davies, who wasn't exactly the best footballer in the side. But was one of the most important players, for the job he did.
I think he played ok on the night - not MotM for me (like you I'd have probably given it to Vela) - not bad, not great. Not Kevin Davies, not "indispensable" for me. Good enough.

We've had a couple of poor runs, but our most significant one was when he was out injured By the time we started that bad run in Sept/Oct - we didn't win for 8 games in all competitions - he played in 2 of the 7 League Games - but look at the side that started v MK Dons (the first game in the part of the run he wasn't playing)

Howard,
Buxton,
Wheater,
Beevers,
Taylor,
Spearing,
Vela,
Trotter,
Henry,
Anderson,
Proctor.

Had PP started with that team last night, there'd have been a hanging - and not because Madine was missing from it. To link Madine to being the "main reason" we had a bad run, when weighed against that selection is somewhat over-simplifying it from where I'm sat!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 am
League one is probably his level. But that isn't the point. He does a critical job for us. The same job Davies did at a higher level. The comparison is in what they do. Incidentally Madine has an ever so slightly higher goals to game ratio than Davies did here. Yes at a lower level. But isn't that the point? Madine is a lower league player, playing for us in a lower league? That doesn't take away the job he is doing.

The vote btw is the official club vote on twitter. I didn't vote, and I'd probably have given MoTM to Vela last night. But Madine wasn't far behind.

As for the first goal, the ball was behind him. It was a decent effort and an excellent save. On the third, but for the defender Madine would have headed it. So I'm not really sure what the point is there. He was right on top of the defender.

Take Madine out, and do you think we'd be anywhere as effective? I think the stats show that when he's been missing we've struggled big time. Coincidence? Not for me. Just like Davies, who wasn't exactly the best footballer in the side. But was one of the most important players, for the job he did.
I think he played ok on the night - not MotM for me (like you I'd have probably given it to Vela) - not bad, not great. Not Kevin Davies, not "indispensable" for me. Good enough.

We've had a couple of poor runs, but our most significant one was when he was out injured By the time we started that bad run in Sept/Oct - we didn't win for 8 games in all competitions - he played in 2 of the 7 League Games - but look at the side that started v MK Dons (the first game in the part of the run he wasn't playing)

Howard,
Buxton,
Wheater,
Beevers,
Taylor,
Spearing,
Vela,
Trotter,
Henry,
Anderson,
Proctor.

Had PP started with that team last night, there'd have been a hanging - and not because Madine was missing from it. To link Madine to being the "main reason" we had a bad run, when weighed against that selection is somewhat over-simplifying it from where I'm sat!
My point is that we need a player to do that job. He's the best, by far, we've got to do it.

I'm not saying, he's the main reason for our success, just a vital component.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Just seen that my second team Carlisle have suffered a horrible downturn in their fortunes over the last 6 or 7 games - could this be the result of having our Mr Proctor in their ranks? Proctor or ALF (or even Madine).. I know which I'd choose

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I feel Madine is somewhere between adequate and decent at this level, nothing more. He has contributed 8 goals and 5 assists in 32 league starts. This with a supportive manager, a good team spirit, and whilst enjoying good levels of fitness in a side that has scored 60 goals and enjoys good levels of possession, and has mostly Championship level players. To me those numbers are pretty average. Without other non out and out strikers creating and scoring most of our goals, we wouldn't be successful. Sure he is effective in unsettling defenders, defending corners and being a physical presence, so it isn't just about stats, but still to me it is hard to make a case that he himself would be a key element in getting teams towards the top of this league. If we don't go up, or if we do and release him, would you be confident of him leading us or another L1 side to the top few next season? With standard L1 players around him? If we do go up, I personally wouldn't be totally surprised if we offered him a new deal, purely because we have little resources to acquire Championship level strikers. One never knows, but imho it is currently hard to see us being effective up front with him playing regularly at that level unless there is a big improvement, or we manage to get some very talented players around him.

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:51 am

Tonight is the first time I have looked at the League One table all season (although should be playing closer attention as we may well be in it from August : - / ) and was interested to see how Bolton were doing down there after the relegation last year.

Looks like you'll be making it back at first attempt and seriously pleased for the club. Sometimes one of the big names of football can fall down the leagues and spend years before they make it back so it'll be great for all concerned up there to make it back as soon as possible. We miss you in the championship league all though of course your real intention is to become a premier league outfit once again, but one step at a time.

(Was that really Coventry heading down to League two ? , OK we all have our problems, but that's a sad sight for a club that were in the premier league in recent years and had once some decent players at their disposal)