The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:11 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm
I feel Madine is somewhere between adequate and decent
Oh come come, Brizzle, where's your sense of proportion? This is teh internets, where everything is either "key" or "shite"... :box:

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:58 am

Like your Post Orton (and your username!)....I didnt realise that Ipswich were struggling (must admit I haven't looked at the Championship table). Why do you think you are? Manager? the squad? Because I always thought you were a strong unit in that league.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've enjoyed this season so far, must be the novelty of playing new clubs. Hopefully though we will go up, as the new owners need the dosh, so hopefully see you next season :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:50 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:11 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Oh come come, Brizzle, where's your sense of proportion? This is teh internets, where everything is either "key" or "shite"... :box:
We may as well have given a go to that giant that we bought from Oldham. He'd have done no worse.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:50 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
We may as well have given a go to that giant that we bought from Oldham. He'd have done no worse.
Tom Eaves?

Playing in league 2 for Yeovil Town. 4 league goals in 36 appearances.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tom Eaves?

13 in 64 isn't exactly making Madine look like Gary Lineker in comparison either. They're both stumps playing at their level and I doubt either will succeed at a much higher level than that they currently occupy.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tom Eaves?

As a team they haven't scored many - only 39 all season. We've scored 60 as a team - third highest in our league. When we weren't scoring, I seem to recall it was because Madine was getting zero service. Now we are scoring you're trying to make out he's providing all the "assists"...

I wouldn't swap Madine for Eaves, just for the record.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tom Eaves?

13 in 64 isn't exactly making Madine look like Gary Lineker in comparison either. They're both stumps playing at their level and I doubt either will succeed at a much higher level than that they currently occupy.
Stumps! Aren't all our players effectively playing "at their level"? They all failed at a higher level with us.

So I'm not really sure what the point is. Other than people hate Madine so much they need to find ways of minimising his contribution this year. He's been a key part of a side challenging for promotion. A very key part looking at the success of that side when he hasn't played.

Not sure why there remains attempts to downplay that. But whatever. One could say the EXACT same things of Kevin Davies contribution in the premiership. He had the same goal ratio, was hardly blessed with quick feet or skill, but worked hard and played a critical role for a successful team. He was a better player of course. But we were a premiership side capable of attracting a better player.

Seems like one rule applies to Vela (who was absolutely dreadful last season, and like Madine appears to be a bit of a cock off the pitch), who is rightly given huge praise for how he's turned round his on pitch attitude and performances this season. Yet Madine who like Vela was appalling last season in both attitude and quality, has worked very hard this year and been a key part of a generally successful (to date) side.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Nothing to do with "hate" - You make out he's the reason toast was invented, with some of your posts - which encourages people to take a contrary position.

He's had a reasonable season - no more, no less - he had a good goal-scoring season in 2011/2012 where he grabbed 18 in 38 appearances. At the minute he has 8 in 32 - so a way off that season. So even by his own standards, he has been recorded as doing better. I think Vela has had a reasonable season too - given you think different rules apply, how do you account for Vela getting all excited on Twitter recently?

I'm not seeing anything remotely like "Kevin Davies" at this level (so taking level into Account), let alone "EXACTLY the same things"...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Davies (the Big Sam vintage) was a one-man battering ram who occupied entire back-fours, won an incredible share of headers and fouls, created opportunities for others, and scored a decent amount in a team doing well but slightly less so relatively.

Madine has been better this year than last but even when he plays well is a decent target man focal point up top. Nothing like the force of nature Davies was.

I also see Zach "only scores penalties and what does he add" is struggling a division up :roll:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 pm
Davies (the Big Sam vintage) was a one-man battering ram who occupied entire back-fours, won an incredible share of headers and fouls, created opportunities for others, and scored a decent amount in a team doing well but slightly less so relatively.

Madine has been better this year than last but even when he plays well is a decent target man focal point up top. Nothing like the force of nature Davies was.

I also see Zach "only scores penalties and what does he add" is struggling a division up :roll:
He might be a division down if he doesn't add a few more! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm
Nothing to do with "hate" - You make out he's the reason toast was invented, with some of your posts - which encourages people to take a contrary position.

He's had a reasonable season - no more, no less - he had a good goal-scoring season in 2011/2012 where he grabbed 18 in 38 appearances. At the minute he has 8 in 32 - so a way off that season. So even by his own standards, he has been recorded as doing better. I think Vela has had a reasonable season too - given you think different rules apply, how do you account for Vela getting all excited on Twitter recently?

I'm not seeing anything remotely like "Kevin Davies" at this level (so taking level into Account), let alone "EXACTLY the same things"...
No. I say he's a key player in this side. Like Wheater, Vela, Beevers etc....

In no way am I suggesting anything else. But he has been very important to us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Go to top of page.

Hit Forum --> Search

On Search page - type in "Madine" as search term and "BWFC*" as author.

Check to see how many hyperbole's get returned, even just since January...

Tell us how many you can see, then ponder a little... We appear to have a cross between Pele, SKD and Nat Lofthouse up front :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm
Go to top of page.

Hit Forum --> Search

Tell us how many you can see, then ponder a little... We appear to have a cross between Pele, SKD and Nat Lofthouse up front :-)
All I see is me saying he's doing a particular job, that we need, and he's far and away the best we've got to do it.

What I DO see from some is a lot of. "Madine is the worst player ever" "Fck off Madine" "Madine is shite". Irrespective of how well he plays.

My counter has always been that this season he's doing the hard yards up front and occupying centre halves. And we need someone to do it, and he doesn't get enough credit for that. Lost count of the number of times I've said "He's a limited player but....".

Seems to me that my analysis that some "hate him" so much that they can't bring themselves to admit he is contributing is bob on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm
Go to top of page.

Hit Forum --> Search

All I see is me saying he's doing a particular job, that we need, and he's far and away the best we've got to do it.

What I DO see from some is a lot of. "Madine is the worst player ever" "Fck off Madine" "Madine is shite". Irrespective of how well he plays.

My counter has always been that this season he's doing the hard yards up front and occupying centre halves. And we need someone to do it, and he doesn't get enough credit for that. Lost count of the number of times I've said "He's a limited player but....".

Seems to me that my analysis that some "hate him" so much that they can't bring themselves to admit he is contributing is bob on.

I am the one countering the hyperbole, NOT the other way round.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Well if you discount the references to "Superb", "Absolutely Critical" and MotM, this is true :-) - you do say he's limited, doing a job and the best we've got to do it too. I agree with point 1 and 3 and sometimes with point 2.

There is also a lot of "Madine is the worst player ever" - which ain't right either - he's certainly contributing. But then again, we always as a Club have one or two players that are the "shittest we've ever seen".

To me, much of our current upturn is down to the new signings that have started gelling. Alf's started doing what forwards are paid for and Morais has been a complete revelation these last few games. The fact that Wheater and Beveers have scored 7 in the last 9 games or so, isn't because Madine has just got "much better"...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:10 pm

He's adequate at this level. He's doing a job that I would expect any footballer over 6ft with his experience at this level to be able to do. He has some games that I think are fair to say he's played well in and he's had a few that any sane person would question if he plays the sport professionally.

On the whole, this season, the majority on here have acknowledged he's made a needed contribution. They might, like myself, still think he's not good enough to play at a higher level and that finances allowing we could do better. Is he the worst player we've ever had? No. Anyone that's been watching longer than the Premiership years will have have seen worse fairly often. In fact, some from the Premier years are almost certainly worse.

Do your blood pressure a favour and stop taking any and all criticism of the fella to heart. In the meantime I'll go back to the world where everything isn't shit or great. Where some things are a bit shit and not bad. Try joining us there, it's a happier place to be ;)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:10 pm
He's adequate at this level. He's doing a job that I would expect any footballer over 6ft with his experience at this level to be able to do. He has some games that I think are fair to say he's played well in and he's had a few that any sane person would question if he plays the sport professionally.

On the whole, this season, the majority on here have acknowledged he's made a needed contribution. They might, like myself, still think he's not good enough to play at a higher level and that finances allowing we could do better. Is he the worst player we've ever had? No. Anyone that's been watching longer than the Premiership years will have have seen worse fairly often. In fact, some from the Premier years are almost certainly worse.

Do your blood pressure a favour and stop taking any and all criticism of the fella to heart. In the meantime I'll go back to the world where everything isn't shit or great. Where some things are a bit shit and not bad. Try joining us there, it's a happier place to be ;)
Great post! ;-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I'm already there. That's been my whole point. Some are not. And they are the ones who refuse to give Madine any credit, whatsoever.

You seem to miss my repeated view that Madine is limited as a player but doing an important job. That is the counter to some who claim he is the worst footballer ever to grace the pitch...I'm sitting in a non-binary world trying to argue the counterpoint to a very binary, and seemingly entrenched viewpoint.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I'm already there. That's been my whole point. Some are not. And they are the ones who refuse to give Madine any credit, whatsoever.

You seem to miss my repeated view that Madine is limited as a player but doing an important job. That is the counter to some who claim he is the worst footballer ever to grace the pitch...I'm sitting in a non-binary world trying to argue the counterpoint to a very binary, and seemingly entrenched viewpoint.
I'm not trying to be a nice person here, but that is exactly where you are with a good proportion of your posts. See Zac Clough, Gary Madine etc etc.

Anyway, those with entrenched opinions on a particular player are not going to change their mind. Most on here have, in some cases begrudgingly, said Madine is doing ok this season. They just don't think he's doing well enough to repeat it every match thread.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:22 pm

No you're not, you're at the opposite end of the same spectrum. Every fecking match ends with you praising him to high heaven. Quite often as "the best player on the pitch" when he's been nowhere near.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.