The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm

It's likely to be tough, but maybe not as tough as i thought a couple of weeks ago. They're not as good at home as i thought. Only 14th on home points alone, whereas we're third on away points.
http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3
I reckon a point would be decent but i fancy us to sneak it 1-2. ALF at the double.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:47 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm
It's all about holding ones nerve now and the team that does that best will finish 2nd. I'm more hopeful than confident as I still think we have a soft belly (as opposed to the bollockless shysters of recent seasons). A win tonight will be huge though :)
I wouldn't say a soft belly. I think we're very reliant on a few key players fitness and form. If Morais were to get injured....I think that would be trouble. Same with Pratley and Spearing...Thorpe and Derik simply aren't good enough.

I also think we're playing a system that doesn't entirely suit us to cover up for the players we lack (quality in midfield and someone with a left foot). And the system takes away a bit of our solidity we had pre-Christmas at the back.
For me Madine is soft as shite and when the going gets tough he's more likely to whinge than get going. Don't get me wrong, he's doing ok at the moment, but he's a head dropper. We've a couple of others that have shown an inclination to hide in the past and I don't think we can conclude they're cured in less than a year. We've moved on a huge amount and the team deserve a lot of credit for it, but I still think we're still susceptible to pressure, of which there will be a lot of in the coming weeks.
Certainly be interesting to see how we handle the pressure. Certainly in past seasons as you say we've not done well in pressure scenarios.

I don't really agree on Madine generally though. Last season yes. This season even when he's had a shocker he's worked hard.

Haven't checked this out yet, and frankly can't be bothered, but saw on twitter someone "reckon" we haven't won a league game this season when Madine has been missing.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:17 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm
It's likely to be tough, but maybe not as tough as i thought a couple of weeks ago. They're not as good at home as i thought. Only 14th on home points alone, whereas we're third on away points.
I reckon a point would be decent but i fancy us to sneak it 1-2. ALF at the double.

Looking at those form tables, Oxford's home record is not too dissimilar to our away record. Should be a close game. I'm going for 1-1.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
It's all about holding ones nerve now and the team that does that best will finish 2nd. I'm more hopeful than confident as I still think we have a soft belly (as opposed to the bollockless shysters of recent seasons). A win tonight will be huge though :)
I wouldn't say a soft belly. I think we're very reliant on a few key players fitness and form. If Morais were to get injured....I think that would be trouble. Same with Pratley and Spearing...Thorpe and Derik simply aren't good enough.

I also think we're playing a system that doesn't entirely suit us to cover up for the players we lack (quality in midfield and someone with a left foot). And the system takes away a bit of our solidity we had pre-Christmas at the back.
For me Madine is soft as shite and when the going gets tough he's more likely to whinge than get going. Don't get me wrong, he's doing ok at the moment, but he's a head dropper. We've a couple of others that have shown an inclination to hide in the past and I don't think we can conclude they're cured in less than a year. We've moved on a huge amount and the team deserve a lot of credit for it, but I still think we're still susceptible to pressure, of which there will be a lot of in the coming weeks.
Certainly be interesting to see how we handle the pressure. Certainly in past seasons as you say we've not done well in pressure scenarios.

I don't really agree on Madine generally though. Last season yes. This season even when he's had a shocker he's worked hard.

Haven't checked this out yet, and frankly can't be bothered, but saw on twitter someone "reckon" we haven't won a league game this season when Madine has been missing.
There's a difference between work rate and running, and standing up when it counts. I think very few footballers are actually "lazy" "work-shy" etc whatever else is usually thrown at people. I think lots of them don't have the mentality for the big games. We've certainly had a lot of them over the last few years.

Madine's attitude drives me mad, but I don't think he's lazy as such; I do think he often goes missing and (subconsciously) is looking for excuses/ someone else to take responsibility. I think that's what underlies his tendency to fall over looking for free-kicks, and his lack of desire for large parts of the season to get in the box on the end of things. (Only from highlights) that seems to have drastically improved recently and with it have come goals. I hope that's because it's been recognised and worked on, as if it's just come from him/organically I'd say his history suggests he'll stop doing it when we get to the business end.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:17 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Looking at those form tables, Oxford's home record is not too dissimilar to our away record. Should be a close game. I'm going for 1-1.
Been saying for weeks our away record is good. Not as good as our home form, so it's important, but good. It's not the "oh god we're doomed" scenario some were making it out to be.

Obvs get beat tonight now, like.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

There's a difference between work rate and running, and standing up when it counts. I think very few footballers are actually "lazy" "work-shy" etc whatever else is usually thrown at people. I think lots of them don't have the mentality for the big games. We've certainly had a lot of them over the last few years.

Madine's attitude drives me mad, but I don't think he's lazy as such; I do think he often goes missing and (subconsciously) is looking for excuses/ someone else to take responsibility. I think that's what underlies his tendency to fall over looking for free-kicks, and his lack of desire for large parts of the season to get in the box on the end of things. (Only from highlights) that seems to have drastically improved recently and with it have come goals. I hope that's because it's been recognised and worked on, as if it's just come from him/organically I'd say his history suggests he'll stop doing it when we get to the business end.
I think he suffers from dips in confidence. But I think this season he's always stood up against defenders and battled. Even when he's missed a sitter or had a shocker otherwise. He's not hid when asked to hold the ball up, at least within his ability.

I think getting in the box is a confidence thing with him.

Anyhow, hopefully with ALF now, the emphasis is on Madine doing the donkey work and ALF banging em in...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Well, we've already discussed many times how you need to raise your standards as to what constitutes "battled" :D.

I haven't seen much of us this season, but I've seen plenty where he's been shite. Clodding himself on the deck every time there is physical contact with a defender hoping for a free-kick. Drives me wild, and it's hiding.

In fairness I've seen him be very good too, but not enough. Lot's of what he's done hasn't been up to it this year. Not by some distance.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't question his work rate and I think generally the whole team has worked extremely hard this year. I suspect Parky wouldn't anyone near the team if he didn't think the effort was there. Seems that sort of manager. The thing with Madine is his body language. When things aren't going well his body language tells me he's giving up, it's too hard. He still runs, goes through the motions but instead of really fighting for it, he'll turn around and blame it on a foul or something else (imaginary or otherwise). I actually think there is a player hiding in there, he just doesn't have the real hunger and drive for it. Some players are at their best when they're up against it and sadly I've never seen it in him. Hope he proves me wrong in the coming weeks.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 pm

We are still capable of finishing Champs of this league!! It only takes Sheffield to have a shit run of games and us to have a blinder and everything changes!!! See Scunthorpe as example!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 pm

I think we certainly *can*, though not v likely. Especially given Sheff Utd had an awful first few games after which they've been almost untouchable since over a long period. Think they're the best team in it. I also think anything more than about 1ppg is unrealistic to be catching teams. Anything less than a win tonight makes that v difficult. I'd be v surprised if they don't win it.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 pm

They have had a lot of games recently, and have a big day out at Wembley coming up. Their manager was suggesting fatigue was a factor for them a week or two ago. Whilst they did come from behind to beat a wilting Scunthorpe side on Saturday, and acknowledging that we have also had a lot of games recently, hoping the fact that a number of our key players haven't had many games this season, along with our other attributes, will mean we are slightly fresher and stronger. 1-2 (Wheater, Le Fondre) and many chewed up finger nails to boot.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Sheff Utd are well beyond us in terms of catching them now. Personally think we'd be up with them if not beyond them had we had a more settled team especially December onwards.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:55 pm

IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG (202.57 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Stood up against defenders and battled? Madine? When was this? He's the biggest wimp I've ever set eyes on, the big soft c*nt.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Noticed Howard on the bench. How long has he been there for ?

Would've thought he'd go straight back into the starting 11.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:35 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm

He did after Alnwick's poor show at Bradford, but looked very rusty at Bramhall Lane by all accounts and got dropped.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Watching on TV, Appleton says he id going to get balls in behind. Banking on our slow defenders and try to overun us out wide. Vela key tonight for me, got to exploit the gaps they will leave in the middle. Come on you white men!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:

He was back on the substitute bench for the 4-1 defeat of Walsall in February.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm
jonnybwfc wrote:

He was back on the substitute bench for the 4-1 defeat of Walsall in February.
Hmm, I need to pay more attention.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Oxford might be lacking a bit of Endeavour tonight.

Too soon?