5,4,3,2,1... Chesterfield (H) 1/4/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 5,4,3,2,1... Chesterfield (H) 1/4/2017

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:06 pm
Looked like 4-4-2 to me but Dervite just wasn't bombing on that much and Moxey didn't do much on the other side. It looked to me like the manager wanted to pay Dervite and Moxey at fullback despite what that did to the balance of the team. Who in their right mind would play 5 at the back at home against Chesterfield??

I think you can have a static-ish fullback on the same side as Morais as long as the fullback on the other side is bombing on.

It was the same 3-5-2 we've played for the past few weeks. You know, the one that had just won us 5 in a row.

Morais and Moxey were wing backs.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 am

Moxey hardly left our half. And Morais hardly left theirs... So you could be forgiven for thinking it was an imbalanced 4-4-2. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 am
Moxey hardly left our half. And Morais hardly left theirs... So you could be forgiven for thinking it was an imbalanced 4-4-2. :-)
Moxey got forward plenty. He just was useless when he did.

It is an imbalanced 3-5-2 though. We definitely need someone on the left who can do more at home than either Taylor or Moxey. Going forwards. To make that system work for us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:01 am

Hmm. Moxey probably had a few forays in the first half, in fairness. I'm struggling to think of more than once that he got anywhere near the byline in H2. I'd have probably spotted as I was sat in South, on that flank...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 am

He certainly didnt overlap. Had a couple of shots from the angle/edge of the box (probably would of been better sticking them along the ground into the box at pace hoping for a good deflection).

He looks like he has no confidence whatsoever. I imagine he is better away from home. Change of club will be good for both paries this summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:38 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 am
Change of club will be good for both parties this summer.
There'll be a lot of that about. I'll start a poll-thread in due course.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Are we still talking about Moxey when somebody mentioned they imagine he is better away from home? Forget that, he is no better away. He came on when Taylor was injured in the second half against Shrewsbury...I was relieved when there wasn't a lot of minutes left...ok he didn't really do anythin wrong, but he scares the hell out of me, he is very poor as a football player. I thought this might be his level, but even at this level he struggles...Taylor is twice the player he is

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 pm

I prefer Moxey at wing back to him being at full back in a flat back 4. I was willing him to do well on Saturday but his confidence looked shot to me.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Stick with him, try a more attacking option Henry, Solomon chap or try Warbara or Morais over there. Jules was a much maligned hero in 93. Perhaps it could be Dean in 2017
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 pm

In fairness to myself, I was in row D towards the North of the West Stand, there wasn't a huge amount of football being played over there either half. North upper might be the place to go next time. Still not convinced about the formation though.

I guess the manager doesn't want to play a kid at the back, but he wants mobility there in that formation. With no time to do any training it'll be interesting who he plays on Tuesday.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 pm

It would be madness for anyone other than moxey to start tomorrow. Hes our only fit left back. To coint the phrase We start with a point lets not lose it.

Poster above re shrewsbury, you said it! He didnt do anything wrong! He actually did a few things wrong on sat, chesting the ball out of play early on springs to mind, and maybe that hit his confidence. Still, we'reaway from home, against a decent team, a point is a good result, and we are talking about playing Henry who is an attacking right footed midfielder or a kid who hasnt started a game for us who i believe is a winger.

Anyone thinking parky is playing anyone besides moxey tomorrow think again!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 pm
It would be madness for anyone other than moxey to start tomorrow. Hes our only fit left back. To coint the phrase We start with a point lets not lose it.

Poster above re shrewsbury, you said it! He didnt do anything wrong! He actually did a few things wrong on sat, chesting the ball out of play early on springs to mind, and maybe that hit his confidence. Still, we'reaway from home, against a decent team, a point is a good result, and we are talking about playing Henry who is an attacking right footed midfielder or a kid who hasnt started a game for us who i believe is a winger.

What's Henrik Pedersen doing tomorrow? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:32 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Largely agree with this except we're not playing him as a left back but as a wing back. I'd certainly go with him for now. I just hope he looks a lot better than he did on Saturday. Was he on the pitch very long at Shrewsbury?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:29 am

Moxey is that poor a left back that I'd be looking to do a 'Pedersen' and re-position someone else there. A 4ucking terrible player.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:29 am
Moxey is that poor a left back that I'd be looking to do a 'Pedersen' and re-position someone else there. A 4ucking terrible player.
Agree about playing someone, anyone else there. However I don't think he's a terrible player. I think he's just got absolutely zero confidence and hasn't played enough football recently. He's an ok player in my view, but one who seems to struggle with confidence more than is usual.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:16 am

There are options: Wabara is a defender by trade, while the Postman's astonishing success in the right wingback role might embolden Parky to try similar with say James Henry, although he's more right-footed and it might threaten the golden goose that is Morais. With three centre-backs and three busy central midfielders, we should have enough cover, especially for home games against bus-parkers.

However, with two tough trips coming up, it would surprise me if the gaffer gambles this week. As Prufrock has noted, Beevers looks rapidly less comfortable the further away from the centre-back zone he has to wander. Among Moxey's many failings (and I feel for the fella), getting caught out of position by being too far forward isn't his most common trait, and Parky may feel he's a more reliable round peg than most.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 am

He's a bit too fragile, Moxey and we ain't got room for fragile heads at this time... No way.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:16 am

However, with two tough trips coming up, it would surprise me if the gaffer gambles this week. As Prufrock has noted, Beevers looks rapidly less comfortable the further away from the centre-back zone he has to wander. Among Moxey's many failings (and I feel for the fella), getting caught out of position by being too far forward isn't his most common trait, and Parky may feel he's a more reliable round peg than most.
B.N.article seems to be hinting he may be making changes: "“The lads who played on Saturday need to do as little as possible,” he said.
“We’ve got the journey down today and we’ll train when we get down there and go through our organisation tomorrow morning. “The lads who haven’t played will obviously do more because some of them may well start tomorrow night. As always at this stage of the season it’s the recovery, getting the lads rested in the hotel and ready to go.”
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 am
He's a bit too fragile, Moxey and we ain't got room for fragile heads at this time... No way.
I understand your concern and trust your judgement, but who would you play there? (And, a different but more pertinent question: Who would Parky play there?)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:44 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 am
B.N.article seems to be hinting he may be making changes: "“The lads who played on Saturday need to do as little as possible,” he said.
“We’ve got the journey down today and we’ll train when we get down there and go through our organisation tomorrow morning. “The lads who haven’t played will obviously do more because some of them may well start tomorrow night. As always at this stage of the season it’s the recovery, getting the lads rested in the hotel and ready to go.”
ISTR he said something very similar before the last couple of games, but he (understandably) hasn't been making many unforced changes. That may have to, er, change if people are unfit (or back to fitness, eg Madine) or he makes what would be a difficult judgement call to drop someone out of form.

From Bristol Rovers to Wimbledon he made five changes – some for fitness, some for form, some for returning players. In the six games since then (starting at Fleetwood) he's made just seven of a possible 66 changes to his starting XI, of which four were last time out against Chesterfield – and three of those were injuries (Howard for Alnwick, Moxey for Taylor, Long for Madine). The others, bar Pratley for Thorpe (who had started v Wimbledon) right at the start of that run, have been defensive-midfield switcheroos: Derik played against Fleetwood, Gillingham and Northampton, was replaced by Spearing for Oxford but started four days later at Shrewsbury before the Scouser (clearly first-choice when fit) returned for Chesterfield.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:29 am
Agree about playing someone, anyone else there. However I don't think he's a terrible player. I think he's just got absolutely zero confidence and hasn't played enough football recently. He's an ok player in my view, but one who seems to struggle with confidence more than is usual.
It's more his atrocious decision making and lack of ball-playing ability for me. His debut away at Watford gave that of Cid a run for its money and he's simply never got any better
May the bridges I burn light your way