Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:19 pm
There's nothing wide other than 30 yards back. Don't know what he's supposed to do. Anyone questioning ALFs work rate wants their head checking. Dickhead can't even be bothered to grow 6 inches.

We need width high up. If not stick Darren through the middle. Tenacious yet useless, he might create some chaos.
Yes. Though Morais basically played like a normal winger today. Pratley was advanced, but I'd like to have seen him more down the middle.

With AlF it isn't about work rate, it is about doing more than expecting a chance handed to him. Ball doesn't stick, and he also doesn't create anything himself. He could IMO, offer a lot more.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Why are we questioning ALF? What the hell is he supposed to do when Howard is punting stupid high balls to him, Moxey can't be arsed going over the half way line as he'll probably get a nose bleed and nobody bothering to try and play it on the floor, through the midfield to play him in!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:51 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm
Why are we questioning ALF? What the hell is he supposed to do when Howard is punting stupid high balls to him, Moxey can't be arsed going over the half way line as he'll probably get a nose bleed and nobody bothering to try and play it on the floor, through the midfield to play him in!!
He got lots to feet. Aerial stuff went Pratley's way when Howard managed to aim!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:52 pm

twilight wrote:
We are not - its just Parkinson's buddy BWFCI....

He'd rather blame ALF than Parkinson's in ability to utilise him correctly, BWFCI expects ALF to play the same role that Madine does

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:10 pm

ALF is a fox in the box. If he gets good service, he'll score goals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:52 pm
twilight wrote:

He'd rather blame ALF than Parkinson's in ability to utilise him correctly, BWFCI expects ALF to play the same role that Madine does
I expect him to do more. Why can't he? You seem to expect the manager to magic up a different way of playing when we are missing some of our better players. I'm not sure why, it isn't fair to expect other players to step up and do more when others are missing.

If all ALF is, is someone who stands in the box waiting for a chance on a plate then we have no use for him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:27 pm

With AlF it isn't about work rate, it is about doing more than expecting a chance handed to him. Ball doesn't stick, and he also doesn't create anything himself. He could IMO, offer a lot more.
Read also your hero Madine for exactly the same. I'm sick to fecking death of him not attacking the ball.
May the bridges I burn light your way

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Ha Ha Ha, BWFCi, you expect him to do more?? Then why the feck don't all the other players try to do more also? Ok, Howard, stop chuffing about with the ball and catch it instead of juggling with it, Dervite, stop being casual with the ball, try to play it more to Morais, Beevs/Wheats stop punting it, Moxey, please just stay off the pitch, Spearing, stop trying to be clever spraying the ball, keep it simple, Prats try to keep the ball in the stadium, Vela, please try to keep up behind Le Fondre and Morais, try to get more ball in the box.....

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:52 pm
twilight wrote:

I expect him to do more. Why can't he? You seem to expect the manager to magic up a different way of playing when we are missing some of our better players. I'm not sure why, it isn't fair to expect other players to step up and do more when others are missing.

If all ALF is, is someone who stands in the box waiting for a chance on a plate then we have no use for him.
People said the same of Klasnic, and then moaned when we missed his goals after he'd been released.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 pm

ALF isn't that at all. His work rate is good, he shows, he's just not very good back to goal. Let's not further there's a reason they're here and not in the prem. Let's also not forget there's a reason other teams are below is. How Parky gets it right asap but still think we've got enough to dig out one scrappy 1-0.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 pm

One man shit storm. Madine has a fairly good and lengthy history of being shit at any other level than this. As Bwfc I has observed, over time stats don't lie. Alf on the other hand once managed 12 goals in the Prem, which if I'm not mistaken matches our highest single scorer in the Prem.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:18 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:13 pm
We hit the bar twice after going two up top. Let's not conveniently airbrush that out. Only Parkinson is to blame for playing ALF up top in a one.
We hit the bar twice when Wheater and Beevers won intial headers, having two up front (who did feck all) didn't really contribute to that.

We also had a point until we went two up. Not sure Clayton would get in a pub team, lad is shite.
I don't rate him either. But i think he has no chance in a Phil Parkinson side. I think clough realised the same. Parky likes his bruisers simple as that. I'll defend that because he's got better results than i imagined, but let's not pretend were about anything resembling passing football.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:40 pm
but let's not pretend were about anything resembling passing football.
It actually sounded like we passed tha ball quite well, Howard wallops, we win it Alf nods it back, Morais passes it, Spearing, Wheater, Bevers, Vela, Pratley, Alf, Morias, Dervite, Wheater, Beevers, Spearing, Moxey and back to Howard. Bit like Barcelona really..... :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:56 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
We hit the bar twice after going two up top. Let's not conveniently airbrush that out. Only Parkinson is to blame for playing ALF up top in a one.
We hit the bar twice when Wheater and Beevers won intial headers, having two up front (who did feck all) didn't really contribute to that.

We also had a point until we went two up. Not sure Clayton would get in a pub team, lad is shite.
I don't rate him either. But i think he has no chance in a Phil Parkinson side. I think clough realised the same. Parky likes his bruisers simple as that. I'll defend that because he's got better results than i imagined, but let's not pretend were about anything resembling passing football.
It's laughable the way people go on. As though the manager is entirely responsible for the fact we have a side that lacks quality. It's almost as though Parky wanted rid of Ameobi and Clough, just for a laugh. I mean it isn't like Clough left because of Deano and Ken's fall out now is it?

It also makes me laugh how absolutely nothing is expected of Le Fondre, Clayton and Long. If they do feck all it's all Parky's fault. And the fact that Madine who many on here think is complete and utter shite and never wanted to see play for us again is so important is just incidental to Parky and his coaching team.

Christ, we have a squad, with relatively little flair or cutting edge. We've made the best of it since January, but bar Morais's unusual run of form, we'd be probably now sweating on 6th place.

Reality check. IMO we'd have won or very nearly won the league if we'd kept Ameobi. As it is we've had to take what was available and make the best of it. I'd say, Parky has done an astounding job in the circumstances.

The fact people sing certain players names, but demand so little from them is bonkers. We've scored 2 goals when Madine hasn't started. That is down to a lot more than tactics.

I didn't see moaning when Parky got us flying at the start with a diamond. Or then got Clough and Sammy flying and us playing some glorious stuff. Or when he reinvented us a third time with a three at the back and we started scoring 4 a game.

We lost today, because the players couldn't score. The system we played controlled the game, but Morais couldn't provide enough quality and the odd time he did the finish was missing. And they scrambled a few set pieces away. It's simple as that. We won at Southend in very similar circumstances. Had they scored first we'd have lost more than likely.

Fact is Madine does an awful lot for the team. If he continues to be out, someone has to step up and do something similar. Whether it be tireless running or battling centre halves. Someone up front has to stand up and be counted.

Latics Fan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Latics Fan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:26 am

You're a good team.

The quality was with you today, but we just wanted it more. We battled for everything.

We're as threatening as a mouse's fart attacking wise and were lucky with the own goal, but defensively we're one of the best in the league, and that's why we're hard to beat and how we kept you out today. It's the only thing we've got going for us.

Good luck for the rest of the season,

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:08 am

Great post bwfc insane, if madine was rested for the oldham match it was a good tactic. If madine comes back for Tuesday and so does taylor it will be the right time for a great input into the team which also had pratley spearing and dervite coming back at some important matches.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:56 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

It's laughable the way people go on. As though the manager is entirely responsible for the fact we have a side that lacks quality. It's almost as though Parky wanted rid of Ameobi and Clough, just for a laugh. I mean it isn't like Clough left because of Deano and Ken's fall out now is it?

It also makes me laugh how absolutely nothing is expected of Le Fondre, Clayton and Long. If they do feck all it's all Parky's fault. And the fact that Madine who many on here think is complete and utter shite and never wanted to see play for us again is so important is just incidental to Parky and his coaching team.

Christ, we have a squad, with relatively little flair or cutting edge. We've made the best of it since January, but bar Morais's unusual run of form, we'd be probably now sweating on 6th place.

Reality check. IMO we'd have won or very nearly won the league if we'd kept Ameobi. As it is we've had to take what was available and make the best of it. I'd say, Parky has done an astounding job in the circumstances.

The fact people sing certain players names, but demand so little from them is bonkers. We've scored 2 goals when Madine hasn't started. That is down to a lot more than tactics.

I didn't see moaning when Parky got us flying at the start with a diamond. Or then got Clough and Sammy flying and us playing some glorious stuff. Or when he reinvented us a third time with a three at the back and we started scoring 4 a game.

We lost today, because the players couldn't score. The system we played controlled the game, but Morais couldn't provide enough quality and the odd time he did the finish was missing. And they scrambled a few set pieces away. It's simple as that. We won at Southend in very similar circumstances. Had they scored first we'd have lost more than likely.

Fact is Madine does an awful lot for the team. If he continues to be out, someone has to step up and do something similar. Whether it be tireless running or battling centre halves. Someone up front has to stand up and be counted.
I don't entirely disagree with this, but Chesterfield was clearly wrong tactics in the first half, it should have been obvious to anyone watching that we tried to change it second half.

What did we do next game? Adapt the second half tactics further? No, we tried punt it to Wilkinson. And yesterday, did you say punt it at Pratley?

I'm not really taken by Alf at the moment and Long is about the same level as Clayton in my book. That said, apart from a couple of games, we average pretty much 1 goal a game, so we have to keep the oppo to nil and Nick one.

We didn't manage the first part yesterday and for the second we need to get to the byline more on both flanks otherwise Morais becomes easier to double up on, as we saw Chesterfield do.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 am

Latics Fan wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:26 am
You're a good team. The quality was with you today, but we just wanted it more. We battled for everything.
We're as threatening as a mouse's fart attacking wise and were lucky with the own goal, but defensively we're one of the best in the league, and that's why we're hard to beat and how we kept you out today. It's the only thing we've got going for us.
Good luck for the rest of the season,
Sounds about right. Thanks for the good words and good wishes which are returned in your own battle. Unfortuanately, not putting chances away has cost us a lot this season. Thirteen of our goals have come from central defenders and we need to hit from the front too. We have had injury problems and lost out on talent in Clough and Ameobi going but all in all, if we nail it up now we'll have had a good season. Best of luck back.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:56 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I don't entirely disagree with this, but Chesterfield was clearly wrong tactics in the first half, it should have been obvious to anyone watching that we tried to change it second half.

What did we do next game? Adapt the second half tactics further? No, we tried punt it to Wilkinson. And yesterday, did you say punt it at Pratley?

I'm not really taken by Alf at the moment and Long is about the same level as Clayton in my book. That said, apart from a couple of games, we average pretty much 1 goal a game, so we have to keep the oppo to nil and Nick one.

We didn't manage the first part yesterday and for the second we need to get to the byline more on both flanks otherwise Morais becomes easier to double up on, as we saw Chesterfield do.
First half yesterday we played football. As much as you could on that pitch. Yes, Howard punted it to Pratley or straight out of play. But we played decent football in midfield. However, and here is the issue. We got the ball into Spearing or Derik. Who then looked for Moxey or Morais. Oldham stuck everyone behind the ball, bar their big ugly 8fter up front. We passed it sideways, down the channels, and generally moved it fairly well,

The issue is, where is the quality to break down a side in that manner? It simply isn't there other than Morais. Morais got a few crosses in, but ultimately without Madine the Oldham centre halves didn't really have much panic on those situations. So essentially we hoped for a set piece. We had a few they scrambled away.

That is the nub of it. We can pass sideways and in front of teams and create angles till the cows come home. We do not look like scoring doing that though. We don't have a Mark Davies or an Ameobi to do something magical. Not even a Clough who can create a chance for himself. That is why we need to have a target up front. It is our way of injecting pace into the game. Get it up there, win a second ball and suddenly we are right on it. Without that we simply don't have a player capable of producing magic anymore. So we are predictable and just hoping for a goal from a corner or free kick. Against a side who can't defend set pieces like Gillingham for example that paid dividends. Oldham though defended very well.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:53 am

Yes, but we don't have a target upfront either at the moment. As you have observed on many occasions.