Commencing countdown, engines on (5, 4, 3 ...) - Leeds Utd (h) 06/08/17

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Commencing countdown, engines on (5, 4, 3 ...) - Leeds Utd (h) 06/08/17

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Just hoping we can limit them to 4. We are terrible. Early days but Darby looks like another proctor, Bradford reject out of his depths and Dervite as expected. Looking at the table and wondering who we might beat? Struggling

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Not quite good enough in several cases. Poor touches from several players - Darby, Dervite, Cullen more than once, Vela, Karacan - get gobbled up in this league. Goal 1: Karacan too slow to the cross-run, goal 2: Dervite/Wheater too slow to the bloke who scored a bazillion goals last season moving one yard sideways, goal 3: Darby too slow to get out of the back line he's not even supposed to be part of.

Wonder how long before he switches to more of a 4-2-3-1 - Vernon Anita ain't a left-back but he ain't being asked questions. Buckley for Dervite would just ask one question of our team (who goes wide left?) but hopefully ask a lot more of Leeds, who don't seem in a rush to play on.

Madine looks at least 50% better than he did last season, and had that effort gone in we might be very different. But we have to sharpen up. Cullen looks exactly like he is – a capable player who doesn't yet know his team-mates. In fact the midfield trio seem much of a muchness. Middle three, back five, Howard, ALF - none of them exactly terrible but appear to be gasping in the way a team often does when it's asked to step up a level.

Long way to go yet, today and this season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Wheater gets a knock and is replaced by Burke, suggesting PP's in no rush to abandon the back three.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:02 pm

2-3 ALF Penno.

COYWM

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Goal Machine hat-trick. 4-3 FT. It's gonna happen. COYW :box:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:16 pm

And..........?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Don't rate Darby much. Makes Nicky Hunt look like a world beater.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Dorian is a shit house. Sack him off.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Vela out for a while too. Played better second half but big gulf to bridge

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Playing well and losing is not a good sign, reminds me of 2 years ago. Early days though. And o didn't see it because New Orleans' major sports bar couldnt fooking find it. On the plus side I'm tipsy and it's only 12:35.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:41 pm

overall, i don't think we can be massively disappointed! did wonder where our midfield was in the first half!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:48 pm

The result is neither here nor there. Leeds deserved to win. The worry is the injuries and our midfield looking woefully short for this level. Both in stature and ability.

Madine was superb. Lead the line brilliantly. Scored. Did everything you could ask. Was let down by those behind him.

Karacan and Vela were shocking. Cullen not much better till the last 20 minutes.

The issue as ever is midfield. Leeds played through it. Midfield is the crucial area. I'd say we need two proper centre mids adding in to the squad. Big few weeks as I suspect Vela is out for a long time. League might not let us exclude injuries this time round.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:35 pm
Playing well and losing is not a good sign
Better than playing badly and losing. Hope there but we'll need to work hard, in training and in games.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Think Parky got it wrong tactically today. Leeds bossed the midfield and targeted our full backs to great effect.

Madine played really well today.

As for Darby, he isn't a wing back but we should have known that already...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:41 pm
overall, i don't think we can be massively disappointed! did wonder where our midfield was in the first half!
Can I please be disappointed? Where was our midfield all game in comparison to theirs? We're still backing off like we were winning 3-1 instead of losing and Hernandez was allowed to run at us countless times without a challenge. Wallop ball seemed the order of the day and we were'nt winning many of them either. We expect clogging from Leeds and we got it (and gave some back sadly). I'd say their third was offside, but there you go. Not the best of starts. The Championship is where we live now and we have to play the game to suit it. If we persist in back pass and wallop we might well not be here long.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Agree with most of that! I did find it frustrating watching us play it back when in a good position but that's something (hopefully) we'll work on! I thought Vela was ok when you take into account that we were over run in midfield! was not impressed with Darby, rest of the defense stepped up for the second but he was left flailing! Hate to say it! but leeds are one of the better teams in this league and i don't think many would've moaned if it was a draw! first half them! second half us!we move on to the next game!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Absolutely shocking defending 1st half - Wheater, Dervite, Darby & the keeper Howard shockingly bad all 2 out of 10 (these 4 are not good enough at this level), this IMO was down to an appalling wasted pre season playing against mainly non league opposition, they were not ready for the step up in class....Wheater in particular was awful.

However, I'm not sure overall what more that team could have done, they tried hard and gave 100% - but as well as Madine played, we can't keep playing long ball to him. I thought Cullen did ok, played much better than Vela who was poor.....Andy Taylor also had a decent game and Armstrong when he came on - Howard in goal is awful - a liability, we need a better keeper.

He's a decent manager, but tactically I still don't think Parkinson is with it.

Finishing 4th bottom will be a hell of an achievement....but I'm confident we'll survive - just !!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:07 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm
Think Parky got it wrong tactically today. Leeds bossed the midfield and targeted our full backs to great effect.

Madine played really well today.

As for Darby, he isn't a wing back but we should have known that already...
He's a bit hamstrung. No way we can play 4-4-2. Playing 4-5-1 with no Ameobi means we can't really fit Le Fondre or Armstrong in.

It's tough. Leeds showed how a one up front work but their wide men are superior to anything we've got. Think 3 at the back is all we've got in the locker as it stands but we need Morais fit to play right wing back. Though I suspect he may be exposed in this league defensively. Tough.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 pm
Absolutely shocking defending 1st half - Wheater, Dervite, Darby & the keeper Howard shockingly bad all 2 out of 10 (these 4 are not good enough at this level), this IMO was down to an appalling wasted pre season playing against mainly non league opposition, they were not ready for the step up in class....Wheater in particular was awful.

However, I'm not sure overall what more that team could have done, they tried hard and gave 100% - but as well as Madine played, we can't keep playing long ball to him. I thought Cullen did ok, played much better than Vela who was poor.....Andy Taylor also had a decent game and Armstrong when he came on - Howard in goal is awful - a liability, we need a better keeper.

He's a decent manager, but tactically I still don't think Parkinson is with it.

Finishing 4th bottom will be a hell of an achievement....but I'm confident we'll survive - just !!

I'm not sure what Howard could've done about any of the goals! And dumping of Wheats who was colossal last season, seems a little odd to me! it's one game in against one of the better teams i this league! Chris wood got 30 goals last season!!!! we ran them fairly close!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:52 pm

I suspect not for the first time this year I'm going to be pining for a back 4. Almost the only player this shape suits is ALF and he isn't good enough for that.

Thought Leeds were comfortable. The adrenaline of the opening day and a couple of set pieces stopped it being embarrassing but there was a gulf there. Fair play to Nadine, was excellent but in any game where a centre half gets the better of him we're f*cked. To fullbacks who aren't even attaching full backs playing wing back is going to be disastrous. V harsh to blame the midfield, impossible when you're outnumbered in every direction.

I don't agree you can't play 442. Plenty teams done well playing a compact midfield 4, and it's a better way of getting ALF in.

Personally, depending on Vela I'd go 4231, Alf left until SanmyAmmy is back
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.