Commencing countdown, engines on (5, 4, 3 ...) - Leeds Utd (h) 06/08/17

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Commencing countdown, engines on (5, 4, 3 ...) - Leeds Utd (h) 06/08/17

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:23 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:04 am
We got overrun in midfield because there were only 3 of them. No wingers to help and the wing backs natural instinct is to drop square (hence Darby playing everyone on). We'll get overrun every week playing that three, 6ft or not.

Karacan and Vela spent all the time being dragged out to close down their full backs (especially Ayling).
Partly. But also Leeds CM outplayed ours. Advantage of 3-5-2 is keeping 3 in CM and having 2 up front.

Don't care what anyone says, we need a physical presence in there.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:45 am

Spearing would of been useful as well. I thought Karacan was poor and game passed Cullen by first half. I agree he didnt look like a defensive mid either.

Darby. Not a wing back! Really intrigued as to why he played over Little who was a player signed for that position. Early days I know but he didnt look like an upgrade on Lawrie Wilson.

We lost cos we conceded 3 shit goals, all down to poor defensive positioning and organisation. Parky will be fuming I reckon. Midfield was overran I agree but short of signing more players we'll have to make do with just getting Pratley back in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am

Errr, when we posted that we needed a genuine Defensive Midfielder, you said (Mr BWFCi) we needed more creativity as a priority and that Karacan would fit the bill. Make yer mind up! :-)

Leeds

O'Kane - 5' 5"
Phillips - 5' 8"
Roofe - 5' 8"
Hernandez - 5' 6"

I'm not against us having a big midfielder, but this notion that they need to be big is stupid. They need to be good rather than big and an average big 'un might make a bit more of a dint than an average little 'un, but they'll still get bypassed with guile.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:53 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am
Errr, when we posted that we needed a genuine Defensive Midfielder, you said (Mr BWFCi) we needed more creativity as a priority and that Karacan would fit the bill. Make yer mind up! :-)

Leeds

O'Kane - 5' 5"
Phillips - 5' 8"
Roofe - 5' 8"
Hernandez - 5' 6"

I'm not against us having a big midfielder, but this notion that they need to be big is stupid. They need to be good rather than big and an average big 'un might make a bit more of a dint than an average little 'un, but they'll still get bypassed with guile.
They need more of a presence than we had yesterday. Don't have to be 6ft...I'm being a bit tongue in cheek there. But they do need to be more commanding than we had yesterday. I thought Karacan could do that job but yesterday he was missing when needed. Cullen again isn't right for that role.

We probably need more creativity to, but needs must. Vela sounds like he could be missing for a long stretch...:(

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm

We do indeed need more presence than we had yesterday. Was all too easy to cut us open. That said, the defence shouldn't get off scott-free either. Second goal, they lost a dude who scored 30? last year. Nowhere near him. Third goal everyone stepped up except Darby. First goal sucker punched although Karacan looked to be the culpable one on that one.

We are going to concede some goal threat in most games we play. There aren't many teams in the Championship that can't construct a decent attack. It's how we deal with it when it occurs which on yesterday's game, gave them three goals.

Vela's looked fairly inoccuous, but the way he went down and got stretchered off is a worry.

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm
We do indeed need more presence than we had yesterday. Was all too easy to cut us open. That said, the defence shouldn't get off scott-free either. Second goal, they lost a dude who scored 30? last year. Nowhere near him. Third goal everyone stepped up except Darby. First goal sucker punched although Karacan looked to be the culpable one on that one.

We are going to concede some goal threat in most games we play. There aren't many teams in the Championship that can't construct a decent attack. It's how we deal with it when it occurs which on yesterday's game, gave them three goals.

Vela's looked fairly inoccuous, but the way he went down and got stretchered off is a worry.
Agree with that mostly, we really have to be more commanding in centre mid and more decisive at the back.
Vela took a heavy blow on his shin as he nicked the ball bravely away a split second before their player arrived.
I thought it was a foul from their player on first view but haven't seen the TV replay and the ref had a good position.
Real shame as I thought Vela's energy was one of the bright spots for us.