A visit from the Pride without Prejudice....

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A visit from the Pride without Prejudice....

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Jeff King has earned good reviews hasnt he? Can we de-register Chris Taylor and play him instead?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:07 pm
Personally, I don't think Spearing ever lived up to his billing as midfield general. He was combative for sure but for me he rarely grabbed a game by the scruff of its neck and ran the show.
Absolutely this. He might improve our midfield, but I've seen nothing to suggest it would be by much.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:44 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Personally, I don't think Spearing ever lived up to his billing as midfield general. He was combative for sure but for me he rarely grabbed a game by the scruff of its neck and ran the show.
Absolutely this. He might improve our midfield, but I've seen nothing to suggest it would be by much.
Scored a few though and could take a corner.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:36 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Agree, I think he would improve us, just because he would take Pratley out of the team!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
In league 1. He had some good games at this level on loan but looked fairly poor otherwise. I'm not convinced he'd improve us sufficiently to justify the outlay. I'd rather give a young un a chance and save the money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:20 pm
Jeff King has earned good reviews hasnt he? Can we de-register Chris Taylor and play him instead?
No. Can't de register players. It's not the champions league.... :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

His corner taking hardly matters with Phil around.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:33 am
He's a pragmatic manager for sure, as was Allardyce, but what he achieved last season was remarkable given the circumstances. Don't give up on him yet PT
He will moan at Parky and any other manager Bolton appoint. He complained bitterly during the Allardyce days. He's a modern day fan who knows better than every single manager. And the manager we've got is always the worst in the world till the next one is appointed...

People are going to have to get used to the fact that the majority of teams in this division have better players than us. And if those teams perform, on the day we will get beat. This is the most disadvantaged we've ever been in a season. Comparatively our maximum wage allowance isn't even competitive at the top of league one.

We need to add two or three quality players. If we could we'd be alright. But Ken and Deans continual court appaearances and inability to sort the finances out, mean we are more hamstrung than we've ever been.

The only hope we have of beating the odds is Parky. The only qualities where we can outshine other teams is spirit and organisation. That may not be enough, but Parky has shown an ability to bring a spirit and organisation into the group. Without that we've nothing whatsoever.

That's no real reflection on the actual game though. Where Derby did very little, strolled into a 2-0 lead through our poor defending, then saw the game out pretty easily. We'll never know if we could have been good enough to get a resut against them because we didn't give ourselves a chance.

If we're going to point to finances every week and say we can can't compete, then there's no point bothering to play the games. You're not going to survive in this league if you write off half your fixtures as unwinnable.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:40 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:33 am
He's a pragmatic manager for sure, as was Allardyce, but what he achieved last season was remarkable given the circumstances. Don't give up on him yet PT
He will moan at Parky and any other manager Bolton appoint. He complained bitterly during the Allardyce days. He's a modern day fan who knows better than every single manager. And the manager we've got is always the worst in the world till the next one is appointed...

People are going to have to get used to the fact that the majority of teams in this division have better players than us. And if those teams perform, on the day we will get beat. This is the most disadvantaged we've ever been in a season. Comparatively our maximum wage allowance isn't even competitive at the top of league one.

We need to add two or three quality players. If we could we'd be alright. But Ken and Deans continual court appaearances and inability to sort the finances out, mean we are more hamstrung than we've ever been.

The only hope we have of beating the odds is Parky. The only qualities where we can outshine other teams is spirit and organisation. That may not be enough, but Parky has shown an ability to bring a spirit and organisation into the group. Without that we've nothing whatsoever.

That's no real reflection on the actual game though. Where Derby did very little, strolled into a 2-0 lead through our poor defending, then saw the game out pretty easily. We'll never know if we could have been good enough to get a resut against them because we didn't give ourselves a chance.

If we're going to point to finances every week and say we can can't compete, then there's no point bothering to play the games. You're not going to survive in this league if you write off half your fixtures as unwinnable.
Hate to say it but that is what playing better teams looks like. How many times last season did we do relatively little, score two goals and see the game out?

I agree we've got to try and make teams work far harder to score against us, but we may not be able to. It is just a reality that not one of our players gets into Derby's team. That will make you look poor more often than not.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 pm
We lack a defensive midfield player, an attacking central midfield type who scores goals and some pace out wide and up front.

Those are pretty major things to miss. A defensive midfield player the biggest miss. We are far too lightweight in midfield. Need a big presence in there. Someone who covers ground and gives us some athleticism. I like the look of Cullen but he isn't exactly commanding.

Up front we are too slow. Same out wide. No threat because we have no pace.

And then with Vela out we have no goal threat in midfield.

Looks a long hard season from here. Embargo is the major problem. 3 or 4 short still but can't sign anyone. Let alone any quality. Said it all along, you cannot survive in this league under an embargo. Every team you come up against will have more quality when you can only pay a pitiful £4500 a week. And ultimately it is that simple.

We've got some good lads, who try, but every single one of Derby's players is better than ours. Christ their bench would all be starting for us no questions asked. Very hard to make a go of much under those circumstances.

Only hope is Ken getting us out of embargo this week and bringing three or four quality players in. If that doesn't happen I'm already resigned to league one next season I'm afraid. I thought we could fight our way to safety. But first few games have shown just how wide the gap is.
Who do you want bumping off for a mere pitiful £4500 pw?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:30 am

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

QEf*ckingD ^ :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 am

We were soundly beaten. Not seen us succumb like that for a good while.

Their second goal in particular showed the inadequacies of the formation we persist with and it was exploited by a good manager with expensive players.

Taylor pushed up with his man and they used the space behind, with Karacan having a pretty dire attempt at tracking back. If we're going to persist with it, we need more mobile, defensively minded players in front of the back 4.

Positives are that it could comfortablly have been 7 or 8 nil at HT and we scored a pretty tidy goal
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 am
We were soundly beaten. Not seen us succumb like that for a good while.

Their second goal in particular showed the inadequacies of the formation we persist with and it was exploited by a good manager with expensive players.

Taylor pushed up with his man and they used the space behind, with Karacan having a pretty dire attempt at tracking back. If we're going to persist with it, we need more mobile, defensively minded players in front of the back 4.

Positives are that it could comfortablly have been 7 or 8 nil at HT and we scored a pretty tidy goal
If we play 4-4-2 we need far more athletic, physically dominant central midfield players than we've got.

If we play 4-5-1 we need a more dynamic striker than Madine to play the target role, and arguably more goals from behind him than is currently present in our squad.

Choose your poison. Whatever system we play we don't have the quality to match a very good Derby side.

I would however, like to see a 4 at the back tonight of some variety. Just to see what it looks like.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm

We're looking for midfielders to play in midfield and behind the full backs at the moment

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm
We're looking for midfielders to play in midfield and behind the full backs at the moment
Yep. And teams know it. They'll also know when they can overload us in centre midfield.

However, it is clear that Beevers being dragged into the left hand channel is far more of a problem against Vydra, Russel and Nugent than it was against most teams last year. And I think the system is mainly hurting him right now. Dervite copes ok, but then is probably suited more to a back three.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 pm

I think when Ameobi is fit, we'll see 4-2-3-1 system

Anybody else reckon 15k was absolutely BS on Saturday? Be surprised if more than 12k were there.. My block is usually pretty full, but it was empty

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Based on what I saw, we were totally outclassed. Leeds did the same to us too. I am a bit shocked at how far behind those teams we are in terms of quality. The gulf in class is wide. Cant blame PP for that. This would not be his team but for embargo. So we are clearly going to compete at the bottom end of the League. The reality is bottom five. So who are the bottom 5 teams we must beat when we play them? Its like a mini league. If we get points off any of the other teams outside of that 5, it would be a bonus. I have reset my ambitions.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm

I think the bottom five after 3 games is likely to be the same or very similar at the end of the season.
Brentford, us, Burton, Millwall, Barnsley.
Just need to get in front of 3 of the bastards!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Brentford will climb the table

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 pm
Brentford will climb the table
Have they got a decent team? Know nothing about then other than they've got that old Walsall manager. Tend to view them as a smaller club punching above their weight.