A visit from the Pride without Prejudice....

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Re: A visit from the Pride without Prejudice....

Post by enrdentw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:57 pm

As for the goals, we completely switched off. First from a throw which we were badly organized for. Second one was weak as piss defending that allowed them to get the cross in.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 pm

So laboured going forward. No creativity.

Like running through mud.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Why are these players scared of turning? Playing with their backs to goal and balls back into defence.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Derby will not get an easier game away all season.

Only one way for this team as it is.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 pm

I've been following a bit on twitter and there literally hasn't been any mention of any of our lads doing anything, beyond the substitutions...

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Hah! Just as I say that we score

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Us - One shot on target = one goal
Them - Two shots on target = two goals
Presumably not quite as close as that though then?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:04 pm
Us - One shot on target = one goal
Them - Two shots on target = two goals
Presumably not quite as close as that though then?
Had they got any of the 3 or 4 glaring opportunities on target they'd have scored more.

We were woeful in the 1st half. A smidge better in the 2nd.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:20 pm

A little better in the second half. Le Fondre buzzed around more and dropped a little deeper. It would have been a major injustice on Derby if we would have somehow got an equalizer. Derby didn't get out of second gear and didn't need to.

At home we need to press the opposition and attack with out midfield and forwards facing the goal. Lots of work to do. We look very lightweight physically. I'm worried.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Should & could have been 5 or 6 down....utter garbage from Parkinson tactically (again !) and the players, an absolutely terrible performance, 1-2 is so flattering for us.

Pratley is abysmal, utter shite how he's even in this team never mind Captain is astonishing, he offers nothing but its telling that Parkinson keeps him as Captain in a negative way.

I was impressed with Derby, they have some very good players and a draw would have been a great result for us but it was never on - but as has been said on several previous occasions (and not just by me), PP sets the team up so defensively we just invite pressure and at this level they'll score as was the case today, no pressing, no idea - we just gave them the ball & watched them carve us open at will in the 1st half & our defending was schoolboy at best. Creativity & attacking must be a dirty word for Parkinson as he's fecking clueless in the attacking side of the game....we can't continue this 5 at the back trying to keep a clean sheet, just hoof to Madine tactic - we must be so easy to play against, tactically Parkinson is shocking and stubborn (in a freedman sense). I know most teams we play in this league have better players (at least at the top) but FFS at least have a go and lose fighting instead of doing feck all.

Get someone in help & coach the attacking side of the game, because Parkinson hasn't got a clue.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Got back to the squawk box just in time to hear us score. Had visitors right through the game but it sounds like I missed little or nothing. Let's hope we can put it behind us as, in truth, not many on here gave us much chance anyway. Big improvement needed all round then? Any bright spots at all?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Ivan the Terrible
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Ivan the Terrible » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Living in Derbyshire, and therefore being au fait with the usual whingeing that emanates from local fans, the mood around here is very optimistic that this season the Rams are going up. On that basis I wouldn't be overly disheartened with the result from a Trotters perspective.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm

The worrying thing for me is that Derby didn't even try. Andre Wisdom looked like Cafu. We need better than Karacan - I've seen nothing from him this season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm

They're spending money and Rowett is a good manager. But it also sounds like we didn't give ourselves the best chance; sounds a lot like Millwall, which now feels even more like two points dropped. I have a feeling we're going to be saying "they've spent millions, X is a good player, Y's a good manager" a lot this season, but we need to find a better forward-facing dynamic. Two home games, five goals conceded and somewhat lucky it wasn't more; four league games, one goal from open play.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm
They're spending money and Rowett is a good manager. But it also sounds like we didn't give ourselves the best chance; sounds a lot like Millwall, which now feels even more like two points dropped. I have a feeling we're going to be saying "they've spent millions, X is a good player, Y's a good manager" a lot this season, but we need to find a better forward-facing dynamic. Two home games, five goals conceded and somewhat lucky it wasn't more; four league games, one goal from open play.
We didn't concede today because of how we setup. Derby cut through us time and time and time again. At will. mainly on the break. They simply were a league better. If not more.

We did not come close to playing well. Truth is though it's a struggle against Nugent, Vydra and Russell who all played well.

Our back line was dozing too often. Which is unlike us.

But the quality gap is looking too great to bridge. We don't have enough threat to worry teams, without going kamikaze.

We attacked Derby but they looked totally comfortable. The bitter truth is they had pace all over the pitch. We didn't. They had quality all over, we didn't.

Whilst we absolutely shouldn't have dozed off and gifted them relatively soft goals, only one team was winning that today, irrespective of how each set up. Our relatively limited team is being exposed for quality. Simple as that.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 pm

The system doesn't work with this personnel. A 3-5-2/5-3-2 needs at least one, preferably two, diligent, hardworking defensive midfielders. It needs the midfield to apply pressure to the ball but also to push up when in possession. Today's midfield looked like it was nailed in position. Last season it worked, with Spearing sitting, Vela pushing on and Karacan to recycle possession. Today's midfield had two recyclers (Karacan, Cullen) and one box-to-box attacking midfielder (Pratley), none of which played very well.

Yes, our defending was woeful, but our problems right now stem from a piss-poor midfield. We need to change the system - it's fine saying we need to defend, but any defence is going to have problems if it's not protected. Any attack is going to struggle if it's not supported.

Get four at the back - Beevers and Burke in the middle, drop Dervite who has reverted to type, Taylor at LB, Little or Darby at RB.

Then there's a choice. Four in midfield or five? I know what's been said about Derik and, to an extent, I agree - but he's the only player we have who's shown he's capable of playing that destroyer role, so he has to come in for me. Karacan or Cullen alongside. We can have Morais and Buckley on the flanks. Madine has to start based on current form - I'd keep picking Le Fondre alongside, as he seems more willing to drop back and play as an advanced midfielder when we're under the cosh than Armstrong.

Just my opinion, but it's become blatantly obvious that the current system doesn't work - so why not try something different?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 pm

It pains me to say that I agree with parts of what BWFCI says, but our 3-5-2 is actually a 5-3-2 and with Pratley starting you could say its a 5-2-2.

Derby have some decent players at this level, very decent, but the way Parkinson sets us up just invites pressure and the better players in this league will punish us like today, he has to change the way we play and quickly - even at home we have absolutely no threat going forward, no creativity, no pace, teams could play 3 or 4 up front against us safely in the knowledge that defensively they will not be tested because attacking wise all we will do is hoof it to Madine and just hope....we don't give the opposition anything to think about, we are weak as piss and give them so much room.....and with Pratley on the pitch its like playing with 10 men.

He could start Buckley to at least have a player on the pitch who wants to go forward with the ball, but he doesn't because he's a such a fecking negative / defensive minded manager. I'll be forever grateful for what he did last year getting us promoted, which was awesome - the players appear to like & respect him, but tactically he's no different or better than Freedman or Lennon, I actually can't see how we can win a game at this level with the boring / negative tactics that Parkinson currently employs.

One of the first things I'd do if I was PP next week, is to strip that waster Pratley of the captaincy and try and give him away or pay a % of his wages and get him out on loan - he's fecking awful, in fact he's a liability.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:45 pm

We could try playing with 12 - we'd have been well beaten with that today. Thekind of game where you start thinking well if we lose by a big score then maybe the chairman will sort the embargo and sign us championship players...2-1 flattering.

I dunno what to say really. We look out of our depth here. Both Derby and Leeds big teams but neither were in the play offs last season. We'll face harder games. We look like the collection of free transfers and misfits we are. Its not looking good. Vela is a big miss. He helps that midfield tick over and e have no other midfielder likely to trouble the goalscoring charts. Any more news on him?

Taylor really struggling at wing back. Defence asleep for goals. Not a good start at all.

Unfortunately now you start to go - where is that first win going to come from?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:50 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 pm
The system doesn't work with this personnel. A 3-5-2/5-3-2 needs at least one, preferably two, diligent, hardworking defensive midfielders. It needs the midfield to apply pressure to the ball but also to push up when in possession. Today's midfield looked like it was nailed in position. Last season it worked, with Spearing sitting, Vela pushing on and Karacan to recycle possession. Today's midfield had two recyclers (Karacan, Cullen) and one box-to-box attacking midfielder (Pratley), none of which played very well.

Yes, our defending was woeful, but our problems right now stem from a piss-poor midfield. We need to change the system - it's fine saying we need to defend, but any defence is going to have problems if it's not protected. Any attack is going to struggle if it's not supported.

Get four at the back - Beevers and Burke in the middle, drop Dervite who has reverted to type, Taylor at LB, Little or Darby at RB.

Then there's a choice. Four in midfield or five? I know what's been said about Derik and, to an extent, I agree - but he's the only player we have who's shown he's capable of playing that destroyer role, so he has to come in for me. Karacan or Cullen alongside. We can have Morais and Buckley on the flanks. Madine has to start based on current form - I'd keep picking Le Fondre alongside, as he seems more willing to drop back and play as an advanced midfielder when we're under the cosh than Armstrong.

Just my opinion, but it's become blatantly obvious that the current system doesn't work - so why not try something different?
If you're dropping a defender based on today it ain't Dervite. Burke and Beevers had absolute shockers. Beevers looks out of his depth. Burke looks lost. Wheater can't come back quick enough for me. Need experience in there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:51 pm

That first half was, honestly, as poor a 45 minutes as I've ever seen from any Wanderers side. David Nugent's game is hardly a secret, he gets between the centre backs and pokes it home from three feet. he's been doing it for bloody years - how come no-one at our place knows that. All the defence was poor but a special mention goes to Beevers who had an absolute fecking stinker, likewise Pratley in an otherwise non-existent midfield. Have we still got Spearing's number?

Those of you who haven't yet seen Derby's goals - some advise. Poor yourself a fecking large one before you do.
May the bridges I burn light your way