A visit from the Pride without Prejudice....

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A visit from the Pride without Prejudice....

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Know a couple of Brentford fans. Both worried they haven't replaced goals. Good side front to back but no cutting edge.

Think if they win a couple soon they'll be fine, if they're still struggling in October/November, that's not a great place to be when the confidence goes.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 pm

I see massive budget mega ace derby have rolled at another promoted team today.

Are they all really that far ahead or is it us who are that far off the pace...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:26 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 pm

By the same token Millwall have just beaten a recentish premiership side 4-0.

I don't think we're anywhere we wouldn't expect. We haven't got the quality or depth in our squad. Our only backup for Madine is a lad who was about 6th choice at one of our closest rivals in Bristol City.

Surely that's a sobering enough thought for reality to hit.

I think with everyone fit and firing we are a handful. But like last season we can't afford the injuries we've got. Only this league is far better and teams more able to exploit us when we are under strength.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:39 pm

officer_dibble wrote:

And Millwall spanking Norwich 4-0, Barnsley beating mighty Sunderland 3-0.

Its just us who can't compete, even though the ones above haven't spent any money either....

like you say the awesome / untouchable Derby who should have beat us by 5 or 6 get beaten easily by Sheff Utd. So BWFCI please tell me which quality players Millwall & Barnsley have that are so much better than we've got.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time - No way do Millwall & Barnsley have better squads than us - perhaps they just have managers who have some tactical nous and unlike us who have a Dougie Freeman clone (tactically), who continually sets the team up wrong, puts square pegs in round holes and is just basically tactically completely out of his depth in this league

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:26 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

By the same token Millwall have just beaten a recentish premiership side 4-0.

I don't think we're anywhere we wouldn't expect. We haven't got the quality or depth in our squad. Our only backup for Madine is a lad who was about 6th choice at one of our closest rivals in Bristol City.

Surely that's a sobering enough thought for reality to hit.

I think with everyone fit and firing we are a handful. But like last season we can't afford the injuries we've got. Only this league is far better and teams more able to exploit us when we are under strength.
Do you honestly believe that ?, a handful really ?

Out of interest when everyone's fit which players make us a handful ?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Can we go back to having all the match threads in the main board? It looks odd that there's a Derby thread and nothing for the two games afterwards.

Anyway, Millwall finished 13 points behind us last season, and have only signed four players since. This idea that we can't compete and should be grateful to share a pitch with some of these teams is nonsense.

It's difficult, but possible, to build a competitive team within even our budget. Certainly more competitive than we've been so far.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Clearly it escaped the attention of some that Millwall signed two players that Parky wanted but was unable to afford or sign under the embargo.

Nobody, I repeat nobody in this division is paying their first team players £4500 a week. Anyone who suggests it is seriously feasible to stay up with that cap in place is reaching to make a point. Rather than looking at reality.

We are weaker than last season. Our squad was 25 last season. Now 23. And we've lost our DM and haven't been able to adequately replace him. Plus Vela being out. From last seasons team we've lost two key midfield players. And aren't particularly stronger anywhere else, bar, arguably the front four. Clear as day that with Vela, Ameobi and Wheater we'd be stronger. But again, the team running rolling out right now certainly isn't stronger than the one that ended last season.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 pm
Clearly it escaped the attention of some that Millwall signed two players that Parky wanted but was unable to afford or sign under the embargo.
Thank you for reminding me. So that's a right back from Fleetwood and a midfielder who hasn't played a league game yet. Clearly made all the difference.

Another good point for Burton as well today, with Marvin Sordell and Joe Mason playing up front. These teams do not have players worlds apart from our own, but they're all picking up points.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:10 pm

No-one is paying their players 4.4kpw including us. It's for half a transfer window. There are still players signed in the Prem in this squad. Sure, we aren't competing financially with Middleborough or villa, but if you think we aren't with Burton or Millwall you're soft in the head.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Nobody, I repeat nobody in this division is paying their first team players £4500 a week. Anyone who suggests it is seriously feasible to stay up with that cap in place is reaching to make a point. Rather than looking at reality.

We are weaker than last season. Our squad was 25 last season. Now 23. And we've lost our DM and haven't been able to adequately replace him. Plus Vela being out. From last seasons team we've lost two key midfield players. And aren't particularly stronger anywhere else, bar, arguably the front four. Clear as day that with Vela, Ameobi and Wheater we'd be stronger. But again, the team running rolling out right now certainly isn't stronger than the one that ended last season.
We no longer carry Moxey and no argument in the world can convince me that doesn't make us stronger at the back :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:09 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:10 pm
No-one is paying their players 4.4kpw including us. It's for half a transfer window. There are still players signed in the Prem in this squad. Sure, we aren't competing financially with Middleborough or villa, but if you think we aren't with Burton or Millwall you're soft in the head.
Half a window? Aye. And several signings. We need two decent midfield players to have a chance. Know any we can sign on 60% of Chris Taylor's salary?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:14 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thank you for reminding me. So that's a right back from Fleetwood and a midfielder who hasn't played a league game yet. Clearly made all the difference.

Another good point for Burton as well today, with Marvin Sordell and Joe Mason playing up front. These teams do not have players worlds apart from our own, but they're all picking up points.
What they have is an ability to have a full squad. And ensure they arent crippled by injuries when they strike. I was talking about Meredith and McLaughlin for Millwall.

Let's not pretend that I'm saying we should be able to sign top quality. As it stands we can't sign anyone at all. Despite potentially having Ameobi, Vela, Karacan and Wheater all out.

We cannot compete under these conditions, I really do not care what anyone says. Our midfield is the worst in this division. It isn't about naming other teams players. We haven't got the balance right yet. And haven't got the players in this squad. Given the restrictions there is precious little chance of competing currently.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:09 am
Prufrock wrote:
Half a window? Aye. And several signings. We need two decent midfield players to have a chance. Know any we can sign on 60% of Chris Taylor's salary?
Well, Mr Spearing, if he comes to his senses and realises that he isn't quite the player he clearly likes to think he is, will see that nobody's interested in him and that £0.5m pa is better than nowt.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:14 am
Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

What they have is an ability to have a full squad. And ensure they arent crippled by injuries when they strike. I was talking about Meredith and McLaughlin for Millwall.

Let's not pretend that I'm saying we should be able to sign top quality. As it stands we can't sign anyone at all. Despite potentially having Ameobi, Vela, Karacan and Wheater all out.

We cannot compete under these conditions, I really do not care what anyone says. Our midfield is the worst in this division. It isn't about naming other teams players. We haven't got the balance right yet. And haven't got the players in this squad. Given the restrictions there is precious little chance of competing currently.
Which really means....our manager is not quite as tactically astute as the managers of Millwall, Barnsley, Sheff Utd, Burton, Bristol City are, and isn't quite as good at organising the team and getting them fired up and motivated enough to compete like other similar teams do, and stubbornly continues with a formation that is clearly not working.

On another note BWFCI - I take it by your above post you don't think that any of Parkinson's summer signings Buckley, Little, Burke, Cullen, Robinson, Armstrong, Karacan, Wilbraham etc are good enough to play in the championship ? and you also think that none of them would get into the Millwall, Burton or Barnsley sides ?

I'm sure that Millwall were also after Beevers in the summer & that Armstrong helped keep Barnsley up comfortably last season, Little & Wilbraham played plenty of games for Bristol City and they competed ok in the championship

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:19 am

The £4.5kpw cap was introduced half way through this transfer window. We did sign most of our players before that cap was introduced. I have noticed we are rumoured to be after Reine-Adelaide from Arsenal. Our squad is full of Championship experience, we should be more competitive than the Derby and Hull games. Parky will hopefully sort it out, we need to go back to not conceding and build from there. This side looks competitive to me:

Howard
Little, Wheater, Burke (Beevers, Dervite), Taylor
Derik, Karacan (Cullen)
Ameobi (Morais, Buckley), Reine-Adelaide (Morais), Armstrong (Buckley)
Madine

With the Blumarble hopefully headed towards some sort of conclusion, there is also a chance we can get the embargo lifted within a few weeks. There may be some decent signings to be made after the TW closes, such as Karacan last year, and right now that would include Spearing. There is hope..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:19 am
The £4.5kpw cap was introduced half way through this transfer window. We did sign most of our players before that cap was introduced. I have noticed we are rumoured to be after Reine-Adelaide from Arsenal. Our squad is full of Championship experience, we should be more competitive than the Derby and Hull games. Parky will hopefully sort it out, we need to go back to not conceding and build from there. This side looks competitive to me:

Howard
Derik, Karacan (Cullen)
Madin
I'd be tempted to make sure Alf is in there. He's still a definitive striker and goals scorer despite needing a bit of time.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:25 am

Just seen the highlights. We looked like a pub side whenever they ran at us. I too was convinced that our defence could keep us up, but from what I've seen, especially against Leeds and Derby, we haven't a 4ucking prayer unless Parky at least tries a different formation.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:19 am

Howard
Derik, Karacan (Cullen)
Madin
I'd be tempted to make sure Alf is in there. He's still a definitive striker and goals scorer despite needing a bit of time.
Can't do that in a 4-5-1 though. Which is absolutely the system we need to look at playing. Frankly Armstrong looks a better player to me. His direct running adds something to us. ALF is probably a luxury at this stage given we won't create many chances and other than in the box he offers relatively little else.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Well, Mr Spearing, if he comes to his senses and realises that he isn't quite the player he clearly likes to think he is, will see that nobody's interested in him and that £0.5m pa is better than nowt.
He didnt look too worried to me when he was in the media team commentating on the Liverpool Academy team!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Under 0.25M isn't it? And given we can't even pay that much under the rules of one in one out...probably even less. Suspect he would only be an option if embargo was lifted.