Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm

What can we expect from this game? _ I don't know exactly, but I thought I'd try approaching it from a Hull perspective.

Currently Hull, one of last season's Premiership relegations, are sitting mid table after four games (4 points after drew Villa 1-1 Hull, won Hull 4-1 Burton, lost Hull 2-3 Wolves, lost QPR 2-1 Hull). They have ambitions of bouncing straight back up, and the mood among the Hull fans pre-season as far as I can make out was optimistic that that could be achieved.
The Tigers are under the recently appointed manager-coach Leonid Slutsky. He is a former goalkeeper who retired from playing at the tender age of 19 after smashing his knee by falling out of a tree trying to rescue his neighbour's cat. He then turned to management and managed successively better teams in Russia before becoming manager of CSKA Moscow, and concurrently (in 2015) Russia. his highlights as a manager were taking CSKA Moskva to the k-o stages of the Champions League for the first time in their history, and where his strong defensive tactics helped set a record of fifteen straight games without conceding a goal.
Currently his new team is undergoing a period of stress: with a massive injury list including his preferred starter players of the Argentinian forward Hernandez and his Norwegian midfielder Markus Henriksen, and both their replacements (Campbell and Stewart) out injured in their last Championship game against QPR; Hull's star player Clucas sitting on the bench with a transfer imminent; and Clucas's replacement Meyler firing a verbal salvo across his team mates' bows, complaining that some were not "pulling their weight".

It's a dangerous game predicting what the teamsheet will be, but I'll stake money on Hull's being:
Goalkeeper McGregor, defensive Chelsea loanee pair of Aina and Hector, captain Dawson, and defender Clark; a midfield of Meyler, Diomande, Larsson, and Mazuch; with Grosicki and Bowen up front. (That by the way is three Englishmen, a Scot, an Irishman, a Nigerian, a Jamaican, a Norwegian, a Swede, a Pole and a Czech).
The defence is well established and they will be hard to break down, and whilst the midfield and attack are not Slutsky's preferred options by a long chalk, there is still some talent in there (including the youngster Jarrod Bowen who has scored two goals in four Championship outings).

A quick statistical look at what the oppo fans think the result will be this Friday night, makes depressing reading for us. In a 'prediction league' (where points are gained for getting it correct in reality rather than bragging rights for the most loyal boasters ahead of the match) not a single Hull fan on the forum I looked at thought that we would win, whereas two thought it would be a 1-1 draw and eleven thought it would be a Hull victory with the most popular score forecast to be 2-1 to them, just outvoting a two-niller result.

So to summarize. Hull has a new, experienced, young(ish) and thrusting coach, who is not afraid to take risks. The balance of his side currently favours the defensive aspects but they have not been goal-less in the four Championship outings so far. Even in defeat their attack has managed to score. On that basis I predict that the Hull predictions sound about right to me: 2-1 to them :(
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Does Fri night mean this is on TV?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm
No. It's to avoid clashing with the rugby league challenge cup final, which Hull FC are in.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm
No. Sky are broadcasting Bristol City v Villa
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm informed by BP that we've sold out. Is that correct?
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 pm
Doesn't look like it. Not even close. Bwfc Twitter today days we've only sold 760. Usually over 2k allocation there.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
It would seem that the ticket info on the website is absolute bollocks! :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:03 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
It would seem that the ticket info on the website is absolute bollocks! :roll:
Aye. The one place at which you'd hope it might be up to speed. :roll:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:30 am

Can't see anything other than a defeat here sadly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:30 am
Can't see anything other than a defeat here sadly.
You simply copy and paste that to every match thread that you ever comment on, don't you?! :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Winnable this.

They're no doubt favourites but a slow start, shedding players, new manager. Certainly one that should have a ring around it.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 pm
Winnable this.

They're no doubt favourites but a slow start, shedding players, new manager. Certainly one that should have a ring around it.
Trouble is the new manager is good - in terms of the average Championship manager I'd, on a personal scoring system, elevate him to "shit-hot". And yes, they're shedding players, but they have some really good Chelsea loanees. I think we all remember our own Chelsea loanee before the plummet... well I do anyway.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:29 pm

We'll lose 3-1
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Winnable this.

Trouble is the new manager is good - in terms of the average Championship manager I'd, on a personal scoring system, elevate him to "shit-hot". And yes, they're shedding players, but they have some really good Chelsea loanees. I think we all remember our own Chelsea loanee before the plummet... well I do anyway.
I wouldn't know where to start on a personal scoring system. Big fan of the Russian leagues are we?!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:29 am

This should be a chance to get something imho.

They are in a state of flux with Clucas being sold to Swansea this week, and they have picked up four key injuries in the last couple of league games. They have signed a couple of players in the last 24 hours, so they are far from a settled unit. They have some decent players in their first 11, but no out and out striker, and very little after that from the bench. This is the best time to play them. 1-2.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:48 am

2-1 win to us.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Winnable this.

I wouldn't know where to start on a personal scoring system. Big fan of the Russian leagues are we?!
Nope, know nothing about the Russian leagues... which is why I said on 'a personal scoring system'. I was taking into account factors such as he's not one of the constant roundabout managers, but (unlike Freedman when he came to us) has experience and form. He's also personable which to me is a big plus for football managers.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:56 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:48 am
2-1 win to us.
We'll shit em.
I'm going and I'm on a new away winning streak. Of one.
Happy with £12 for the ticket too.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Not in my nature not to think we can/will win. Keep them out and play something like we did Tueday and we'll do it. Unlike some, I understood the "we're in front, let them do the chasing" that seemed to be Parky's plan, and with a couple of nippy lads up front a break is always on. Wednesday are a good side and despite talk of them putting a second string out, they didn't really with Rhodes, Bannan and Forestieri and co in, and were always a danger. Two lapses cost us, but our defence stood up well to it all. So, COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:33 pm
Not in my nature not to think we can/will win. Keep them out and play something like we did Tueday and we'll do it. Unlike some, I understood the "we're in front, let them do the chasing" that seemed to be Parky's plan, and with a couple of nippy lads up front a break is always on. Wednesday are a good side and despite talk of them putting a second string out, they didn't really with Rhodes, Bannan and Forestieri and co in, and were always a danger. Two lapses cost us, but our defence stood up well to it all. So, COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
That is Wednesday's second string!