If we can't find our tackle, we live like a Monk. Bolton v Boro 9/9/17.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: If we can't find our tackle, we live like a Monk. Bolton v Boro 9/9/17.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 am

twilight wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:08 am
I was thinking about this way after the match AT and sadly we have not got anybody who can fill that role, in fact I was thinking what players Parkinson could have played yesterday which might have made a difference who are in our squad, and against teams like the Middlesboro and Derbys of this league I can think of not one :(
It should have been one of the priorities. I get the pool we were fishing in was near the bottom, but even a shite clogger getting in their faces is better than ineffectual pansying around.

Still early days and I have been expecting us to struggle, but I thought we'd be battling for nil nils and maybe the odd tanking. So far it's looking very bad :(

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:16 pm
PT - Are you not being a little harsh on Parky? He has one hand tied behind his back. Who the 4uck do you think could do a better job under the same restraints?
Perhaps Bruce....but as I've said on numerous previous occasions, he's awful tactically and he has one tactic which is hoof ball to Madine with no other player within 30 / 40 yards of him, this doesn't change with 5 at the back or 4 at the back....the team has no shape, no attacking threat, no pace, no movement, no fight....we look like a team of strangers, no shape, organisation, passion, fight, movement, come on this doesn't cost £M's - its coached, its a mentality, its what a manager should be teaching & coaching during the week....we don't even compete, we don't even press

A lot of supporters identified central midfield (especially a combative, tough tackling, leader type) & possibly goalkeeper as our weak spot before the season started - he brought in numerous players over the summer (many before the £4.5k cap came into effect), as well as the players he resigned from last year he signed Buckley (attacking midfielder), Armstrong (striker), Little (FB / WB), Wilbraham (striker), Cullen (defensive midfield), Burke (centre half), Noone (winger), Ameobi (winger), Darby (defender), Robinson (defender)

So he brought all of those players in & like I said many before the £4.5k cap came in, and he still didn't think central midfield was a priority - what's the point of wasting what little money we had signing 3 wingers & 2 strikers when he doesn't know how to use them or play a system to use them - surely if he knew what he was doing he could have brought in a couple of combative, hard working central midfielders as a priority to address that issue and I'm sure that he could have brought in a better goalkeeper - so he must have thought that the players he had in midfield (Karacan, Pratley, Cullen, Vela) where good enough in this league and that Alnwick & Howard where good enough - surely he didn't need 5 attacking players at the expense of central midfielders.

He should have decided at the end of last season what system he wants to play in the championship to give us the best chance of survival, and then he should have brought players in to fit in that system - personally I don't think he has a clue in regards to setting the team up, coaching & getting them to play a style of football to get the best out of the squad that he has assembled.

Like Tom said earlier, even though Boro have spent money and they have some decent players - they hadn't won away in over 12 months and Preston held them at home the week before - have Preston got a squad much better than ours ?, to be honest I'd struggle to name a single Preston player.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am

I think we've signed some players as cover when we should have ensured we had that combative defensive midfield player first. I'd agree with that. I'm somewhat surprised Parky thought a small lad like Cullen would do, we need some physicality and grit in there. Ideally a big strong ball winner with some mobility.

However, one has to slightl factor in that early in the window we still had a cap but it was around £10k per week. The change in July to less than half of that may well have messed up plans to bring in certain players.

Also this business of being able or unable to name other teams players is a nonsense. How many Watford players could someone who doesn't follow them name? Would anyone contend they don't have a far better squad than us? The problem with our squad is that when you really look at it, most have in their most recent times failed at this level. Those that haven't, have barely played any football in recent times, so aren't up to full speed. We are piecing together sides week by week and we did that last season and largely got away with it. But if anyone casts their mind back to September we had a poor run as new signings settled in and established players were out with injury. Trouble is in this league every week will be hard if you aren't full strength with 11 fully up to speed, fit players. Yesterday we had Karacan play with a knock, Noone play when he's not had football for a while, Wheater play through a knock and lost Taylor late in the week. We were already up against it against a team who has spent more this summer than we have in the last 10 years combined. To be having to go into that game as we were...just impossible.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 am

So have Preston got a better squad than ours....?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 am

Those denizens of noble sport promotion, The E.F.L, are certainly observing the "kick em when they're down" mandate. Biggest worry is that teams in the lower sector will all start seing us as "must win" games and play above standard against us. We need to start climbing (scrambling) a.s.a.p. Almost seems like there's a vendetta against us. I think referees need reminding Kevin Davies has left and it's okay to give us an odd free kick or two for fouls on our front men....Madine doesn't seem to get much in that line?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:08 am

Our squad is dreadful. How many would be hopeful of getting into another side in this division aside from milwall or burton?

We're made up of people who've failed at this level before and some who've been rejected by clubs in the league below us.

For me we've got absolutely no chance this year. That said, we're not exactly helping ourselves and PP has to take a bit of the blame. When we went up to the Prem under allardyce, our squad was poor, with plenty of journeymen but they were well drilled and bar a couple of blowouts made it difficult for teams to beat them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:39 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 am
Ermm. Yes by miles. Why they were a top half championship side and we were battling to go up from the league below. As said above most of the players we've got are ones who previously have struggled at this level, or in some cases never played here before.

I thought with some organisation and luck we might be ok. Doesn't look like it right now. But given our lot staying up would be a miracle.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:39 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Ermm. Yes by miles. Why they were a top half championship side and we were battling to go up from the league below. As said above most of the players we've got are ones who previously have struggled at this level, or in some cases never played here before.

I thought with some organisation and luck we might be ok. Doesn't look like it right now. But given our lot staying up would be a miracle.
So who's fault is it that we aren't organised....?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:04 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:39 am
Peter Thompson wrote:

So who's fault is it that we aren't organised....?
I'm not sure we aren't organised. I think the quality of the opposition is what causes us problems. Yesterday a good example. Our shape defensively was good. But Traore was too much for Robinson to handle at times and that is where Boro's success came from.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:14 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Well, league positions would suggest they have. I don't know any PNE fans but I guess that most of them would be hard pressed to recognise many of our players either.
To be honest, yesterday was my first real "oh 4uck" moment. Parky tested the squad yesterday and what lies beneath is clearly no different.
Parky's clearly concentrated on getting a squad together with what he has rather than getting a first and second string together.
At the moment he may as well pick the team out of a hat.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:14 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Well, league positions would suggest they have. I don't know any PNE fans but I guess that most of them would be hard pressed to recognise many of our players either.
To be honest, yesterday was my first real "oh 4uck" moment. Parky tested the squad yesterday and what lies beneath is clearly no different.
Parky's clearly concentrated on getting a squad together with what he has rather than getting a first and second string together.
At the moment he may as well pick the team out of a hat.
At the moment this is what he appears to be doing....

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am

Credit to bristol_Wanderer3 for getting his thread title mentioned on Channel 5's championship goals. Did chuckle when I heard it read out.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:09 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am
Credit to bristol_Wanderer3 for getting his thread title mentioned on Channel 5's championship goals. Did chuckle when I heard it read out.
Just watched it. We're famous :D Superb, b_W3 :pray:

Now, let's not detract from the fact that Traore is a breed apart, however, for him to go to ground between two defenders and still emerge with the ball for their first was absolutely appalling.
Read a bit of stick for Alnwick. Yes, he was at fault for No.3 but made a couple of very decent saves.
I've added Antoneeeee's name to the list of regrettable debuts;

Ostemobor
Cid
Moxey
Antoneeeeeeeee

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:40 pm

At least Antoneee I think will improve, there was no hope with the other 3, he never gave up which I liked, but he did look like a 12 year old :)
Alnwick should be given a little bit longer..the ball did swerve in front of him and it was just a very painful game to watch at times overall. Hopefully we just keep digging in and err praying for better days/times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:41 pm

You can add Stephen Darby to that list for me Bruce. I said at the time that was as bad a debut as I had seen since Cid.

I think I will pick on Beevers this week. He should have booted Traore into touch twice for that first goal. Absolute fanny.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:48 pm

twilight wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:40 pm
At least Antoneee I think will improve, there was no hope with the other 3, he never gave up which I liked, but he did look like a 12 year old :)
Alnwick should be given a little bit longer..the ball did swerve in front of him and it was just a very painful game to watch at times overall. Hopefully we just keep digging in and err praying for better days/times
He may improve but not here. We can't afford to carry players who haven't a clue how to defend. He needs a few seasons of proper football in the lower leagues at teams good enough to let him learn his trade whilst making errors. We are not in that position. Hopefully Taylor is back very soon.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:41 pm
You can add Stephen Darby to that list for me Bruce. I said at the time that was as bad a debut as I had seen since Cid.

I think I will pick on Beevers this week. He should have booted Traore into touch twice for that first goal. Absolute fanny.
Aye, he's yet to impress me too, Dibs, but for some reason I've cut him a little slack.
:conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Aye, he's yet to impress me too, Dibs, but for some reason I've cut him a little slack.
I like Parky, I'm far away from the PT school of thought as you know. But for the life of me I cannot understand why we signed Darby.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

I like Parky, I'm far away from the PT school of thought as you know. But for the life of me I cannot understand why we signed Darby.
My thinking is that a defence under the pressure our's is is going to struggle. Beevers was a revelation last season, he's been dreadful this time out. Why would we expect a beginner to do any better?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

My thinking is that a defence under the pressure our's is is going to struggle. Beevers was a revelation last season, he's been dreadful this time out. Why would we expect a beginner to do any better?
Darby isn't a beginner though he's vastly experienced. Unless you mean beginner for us?