Turning the tide? Orwell adrift? Ipswich (A) 16/9/17 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Turning the tide? Orwell adrift? Ipswich (A) 16/9/17 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm
enrdentw wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:47 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 pm
Millwall finished 10 points behind us last season....
I fully agree with you PT. Milwall is a great example and we must be comparing ourselves against the likes of them, Burton, Bristol etc... As it stands we are streets away from them. People need to realise that we haven't come close to winning a football game this season.
A word of warning please don't agree with me, you wont be popular on here....

When I first joined the forum a few years ago, I think that they forgot to post out the blinkers that everyone else got.
When you first joined the forum you wanted Sam Allardyce sacked, and said you wouldn't watch anymore games whilst he was in charge. It was our most successful period in all (bar TD) of our lifetimes. That sums it up.

Stick with Parky. Chopping and changing managers led us here. We are going down anyway, whoever we put in charge.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 pm
After the shit he inherited last year, Parky has the rest of the season and half of the next for me.
Even if we don't win a game between now and the end of Oct? Because that's a real possibility.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:34 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 pm
After the shit he inherited last year, Parky has the rest of the season and half of the next for me.
Even if we don't win a game between now and the end of Oct? Because that's a real possibility.
Yes. Because a new manager won't change that. There are times when you lose because a manager keeps stubbornly making clearly wrong decisions (Coyle on Muamba springs to mind). Or times when clearly there is a toxic atomosphere between players and manager. Or times when a manager has spent a lot of money poorly.

None of those apply. Parky has tried every system under the sun and played just about every option he hasn't in each position. He's not been inflexible. He may have not bought the right players in some cases but has hardly been competitively placed to get that right. And these players are ones who all signed on again for him and I see no sign of any issue with motivation....just quality on the pitch. Just how I see it.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
enrdentw wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
I fully agree with you PT. Milwall is a great example and we must be comparing ourselves against the likes of them, Burton, Bristol etc... As it stands we are streets away from them. People need to realise that we haven't come close to winning a football game this season.

When I first joined the forum a few years ago, I think that they forgot to post out the blinkers that everyone else got.
When you first joined the forum you wanted Sam Allardyce sacked, and said you wouldn't watch anymore games whilst he was in charge. It was our most successful period in all (bar TD) of our lifetimes. That sums it up.

Stick with Parky. Chopping and changing managers led us here. We are going down anyway, whoever we put in charge.
You got superglue with your blinkers...

Stick with Parky and we'll won't get more than 30 points this season - and I'll back it up with an £100 charity bet (charity of your choice)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
enrdentw wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

You got superglue with your blinkers...

Stick with Parky and we'll won't get more than 30 points this season - and I'll back it up with an £100 charity bet (charity of your choice)
Perhaps. But how would a new manager change things? Parky has tried every system possible and has a good relationship with the players. A new manager can't make major changes till January, which would also be Parky's first chance to operate unrestricted. We are going down now whatever.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 pm

BWFCI - for 70% of last season we where rubbish even at League 1 level....the football was awful apart from about 6 games (out of 46)

I'll always be grateful for what Parkinson achieved last season, and he did what he was brought in to do - but we had the 2nd best squad in the league and were expected to go up - league 1 teams playing us must have felt like we do this season playing Boro, derby, Leeds etc.

This is only my opinion & I say it as I see (even if I'm wrong - which I am on many occasions) - Parkinson is a dour, boring, monotone manager and I think the team mirrors his personality....personally if we can bring a manager in with some passion, drive, fire in his belly & tactical know how it may give us a chance although I now think that its too late, even after only 8 games.

A couple of posters on here have asked who I'd prefer, I'm not a football agent - but if someone can post all of the current out of work managers I'll say who I think has the ability & personality to possibly get us to finish 20th.

If not we'll just go down with a whimper....have you ever considered that PP may just be a decent lower league manager, but not good enough to manage at a higher level, it does happen you know.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 pm

How quickly some folk round on a manager who has had nothing going for him since pre-season. Injuries, no money and the embargo don't count? The ball not going in the net (for whatever reason; poor finishing, bad luck - as on two occasions from deflections no one could do anything about- good saves and equally good/lucky defending, is the only difference between us and Leeds and Derby, not the managers. Did we deserve to lose today? Was any of that Parky's fault? All too easy to cry wolf when Chihuahuas' are barking round the door. Give the manager and the lads a chance to change things. If they don't then okay, then you can be a Man U fan with my blessing (well, no not really, but you know what I mean) :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 pm
How quickly some folk round on a manager who has had nothing going for him since pre-season. Injuries, no money and the embargo don't count? The ball not going in the net (for whatever reason; poor finishing, bad luck - as on two occasions from deflections no one could do anything about- good saves and equally good/lucky defending, is the only difference between us and Leeds and Derby, not the managers. Did we deserve to lose today? Was any of that Parky's fault? All too easy to cry wolf when Chihuahuas' are barking round the door. Give the manager and the lads a chance to change things. If they don't then okay, then you can be a Man U fan with my blessing (well, no not really, but you know what I mean) :wink:
I'll try and be polite TD - but why would I want to be a Man U fan - I've been a passionate BWFC fan all of my life, too passionate at times.

I hate people who say things like this - just because I may disagree or have a go at the manager does not mean that I don't love my club or should go and support Man U - you should be ashamed of yourself and even though I'm a knob head I expected better from you.

Someone disagrees so go and support Man U....I would expect that from a 14 year old not you.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 pm
enrdentw wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:27 pm
Burton also haven't spent... Milwall may have spent having looked closer at their trad get dealings...
eve
They must have done - otherwise how are they winning games
I won't go as far as wanting him out at the moment but the idea that he's immune from criticism is nonsense. He's not even got them doing the basics he's supposed to be good at. Deserves a chance to sort it out though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 pm
I'll try and be polite TD - but why would I want to be a Man U fan - I've been a passionate BWFC fan all of my life, too passionate at times.

I hate people who say things like this - just because I may disagree or have a go at the manager does not mean that I don't love my club or should go and support Man U - you should be ashamed of yourself and even though I'm a knob head I expected better from you.Someone disagrees so go and support Man U....I would expect that from a 14 year old not you.
Hey, don't be polite on my account P.T. Spit it out and don't hold back. Turn the air blue, I can take it.. :lol:
My post wasn't aimed solely at you but generally at those kicking Parky (including you) in what I think an unfair manner. It's my opinion, not a law. Being a Man United fan ( a generality, as Liverpool fans who live here are just the same means ( in my post) a fair-weather, supporter - because they're wining- plastic pretenders type of fan, (like my grand) son who would be hard put to name half the team but laughs at Bolton even though he was born and lives here) and like the types who walk about with Barcelona shirts on despite only ever having seen them on T.V. Win lose or draw, Premiership or Lancashire Combination, I'll support the Whites (and their manager) come what may. If we get relegated then so be it, but it won't just be the manager's fault. Personally, I think we can turn it round, I've been here before and no doubt will be again. Amen. :wink:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 pm

TD you've totally missed the point....telling (well not quite, but you know what I mean) lifelong, passionate BWFC fans that they should go and support Man Utd just because they disagree with you or anything BWFC is out of order IMO.

You'll find it hard to find anyone more proud to be a Bolton fan or born in Bolton than me, regardless of whether I slag off the manager or other BWFC fans off - I'm born & bred Bolton, I bleed Bolton whichever part of the country / world I may be in

To infer that they (or I) go & support Man Utd just because they don't go along with the masses and have a go at the manager is out of order and if your a Bolton fan you'd know it....

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 pm

It's so hard to not feel frustrated right now, losing games isnt good for anybody..the manager, players fans. We all know what we have been through, it's been tough, and understandably we have been patient with Parky, he's done so well with everything he has had to put up with. After saying all that, surely there has to be a point where results come first and foremost and looking at Parky's stats in the last few times he has been in the Championship, it doesnt read too well. I would personally give him some time yet, but the next 2 or 3 games are looking massive, points are desperately needed

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Just seen the highlights. When's Andy Taylor due back?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:10 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 pm
It's so hard to not feel frustrated right now, losing games isnt good for anybody..the manager, players fans. We all know what we have been through, it's been tough, and understandably we have been patient with Parky, he's done so well with everything he has had to put up with. After saying all that, surely there has to be a point where results come first and foremost and looking at Parky's stats in the last few times he has been in the Championship, it doesnt read too well. I would personally give him some time yet, but the next 2 or 3 games are looking massive, points are desperately needed
It clearly depends on whether Ken thinks there is anyone he can get who could actually keep us up. I have no idea on what Ken thinks...what I do know is that Parky is the first manager we've had since Allardyce who actually achieved something here. I also know the ones before him were far worse and we could do far worse.

cmbfc_90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cmbfc_90 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:15 pm

We fought last season to get up just to write the season off to go back down, to fight next season to get back up???

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 pm

It'll be reet.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 pm
TD you've totally missed the point....telling (well not quite, but you know what I mean) lifelong, passionate BWFC fans that they should go and support Man Utd just because they disagree with you or anything BWFC is out of order IMO.

You'll find it hard to find anyone more proud to be a Bolton fan or born in Bolton than me, regardless of whether I slag off the manager or other BWFC fans off - I'm born & bred Bolton, I bleed Bolton whichever part of the country / world I may be in

To infer that they (or I) go & support Man Utd just because they don't go along with the masses and have a go at the manager is out of order and if your a Bolton fan you'd know it....
P.T...My post had nothing whatsoever to do with Manchester United. Nothing at all. It was rhetorical. It simply meant being a band-waggon jumper or, as Bob Dylan said in song many years ago " You just want to be on the side that's winning". That's what my Man U reference was about, nothing to do with Old Trafford at all. I never doub t your being a total Bolton supporter, but as for agreeing with you, I reserve the right not to. Such is life..Pax Vobiscum. Amen. :wink:

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:13 am

Carries on like this...
I'm gonna be single weekend dad
sleeping on a crap couch
drinking pretend whisky

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:08 am

I had the Channel 5 "highlights" show on earlier, and kept waiting for coverage from today but they didn't show it. With some level of frustration, put the hour repeat on and still missed it. :conf: Fair enough I didn't catch every minute of each broadcast (Colin Murray is one annoying 'individual' :whack: so try to catch up with only what's necessary) but today's game must have been given under a minutes viewing. Caught just about everything else from this weeks round of fixtures in the championship league - just missed the most relevant action from my clubs perspective.

ANYWAY - got to say surprised Bolton took such a small number down to us today. Portman Road isn't the most accessible for any visiting team but expected to read more visitors had made the journey over. Fair enough I wasn't there today but appears Bolton could have got more out of their trip and Bialkowski was again needed to keep us in it particularly first half, but we raised our game second half but by no means was it a great game for either team and while we're in the top five right now, I can see below the surface we're simply not as good as what statistics would suggest.

Pity really, you'd go back to the turn of the millenium and there'd be some really entertaining games between ourselves, standout examples you can picture right now such as the Jim Magilton night in the play-offs and 4 - 3 the year before it, whereas today was something largely devoid of ideas and creativity, where the simple truth was : there were two teams with something of an illustrious history and who have seen better days, being involved in a low attendance game - with low expectations.

I can't really speak for yourselves, from what I can see you've fallen away badly in recent times - here is a founder member of the football league and with a proud history (Wembley 1923 et al) and you've come up from the third league this summer and making little attempt to restore previous pride and stature. No funny business, hope you can sort any problems out and be back in the premier league sometime soon. We have our own problems that many outside the club will overlook or not be aware of, but when you have an owner and manager with the business acumen of a monkey, then maybe it's no surprise we've been struggling as we have.

Wish Bolton every success for the rest of the season, hope people enjoyed the visit to our Town today regardless of result. We're a family club with a range of hospitality. The football is often sub-standard, but we do try to accommodate visitors and all that.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:32 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm
Parkinson needs to go for me....

Nice guy - but he's so out of his depth in the championship
Nah. Not for me. He worked miracles last year and deserves a crack at keeping us up.
Miracles - really ?

He did really well last year getting us promoted - but with a squad of players every other team in the division apart from Sheff Utd would have loved to have had....and would have expected to have gone up
Absolutely a miracle. Every other team in the division would have loved our squad and the embargo he had to work under. Really?

We finished well behind the other relegated sides, MK Dons and Charlton, the year before. I'm sure their fans thought we'd be no threat to their prospects of promotion, particularly after we'd weakened our squad further and could only recruit loanees and journeymen. We also lost our only saleable asset in the January window.

Parkys not without faults but his achievement in getting us up, when most of us at the start of last season thought we'd be in the lower divisions for years, was remarkable. He's proved he can manage and deserves our patience and support through what we've always known was going to be a very very difficult season ahead
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"