Turning the tide? Orwell adrift? Ipswich (A) 16/9/17 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Turning the tide? Orwell adrift? Ipswich (A) 16/9/17 3pm

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:02 am

Give Phil a fair chance guys. Yes he is the manager but he should never be blamed for the situation we are currently in. He had no chance getting the players he wanted with the pace and strength to compete in the Championship and improve the quality of the squad we had, due to the embargo. He has made the best of a terrible situation. He performed a miracle getting us promoted, unheard of for a team under such restrictions.

Today we played competitively but we are a couple Mark Davies' short of what we need. (How is his recovery going by the way? Do we have a chance getting him back?) We need some Quality who can change the game. All the other top teams in the Division seem to have them. Even Ipswich with their #10. We may have to wait until January to get a couple in. For the time being, I hope Ameobi gets up to speed quickly on his return.

Can someone tell me why Noone has taken over free kicks / Corner duties from Morais? He floats them in which gives the opposition ample time to settle under them and clear. They are not as effective as Morais' accurate missiles which worked last season.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:26 am

We were poor last season. Think back to the games at Rochdale, Oldham etc. Never been convinced by parky. The players we had, anyone could have got us promoted. Feel sorry for him with the lack of funds but at the end of the day, he is putting out a non competitive team. Maybe nobody else could do better, but under PP we are heading for a record low points total.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 pm
It'll be reet.
This.
Businesswoman of the year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Watched the online highlights, mark beevers is a joke. Robinson weak again for the second. Hardly the breakaway goal lies made it out to be. Just piss poor soft as fck defending.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Correct he should be playing better. Its not Phil Parkinsons fault he has decided not to tackle properly. Both of those instances his attempt to tackle was weak - you would be dissapointed with a League One centre half (which he is looking loke) for both. Robinson even worse for the second but he is a kid being thrown in not your supposed defence lynchpin. Players like Beevers need to look at themselves and start trying harder and playing better. We keep being told that the squad has a good character - stop letting your mates down.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm

From our Ipswich correspondent:
Stop me when I start to sound patronising, but your lot were a bit unlucky on Saturday. A better finisher than Madine would have scored at least two goals, and my mob were going absolutely nowhere until that wildly deflected game-changer, early in the second half. Having said that, the Wanderers completely collapsed after McGoldrick's late strike, even though there was a still a minute or two of regular play and then six minutes (or whatever it was) of added time to go. Which was not a good sign.

Oh, and I beg to differ with the brains' trust on your various forums who declared that Parkinson can't make any tactical changes. After (quite understandably) playing it tight and seeking only to hit on the counter-attack during an arid first half, Bolton were much more open, attacking and expansive after unluckily conceding that first goal, and should have scored at least once.

I can still see you causing West Ham a shock tomorrow.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:11 pm
Watched the online highlights, mark beevers is a joke. Robinson weak again for the second. Hardly the breakaway goal lies made it out to be. Just piss poor soft as fck defending.
The problem with highlights is that they are showing the goals and leads one to make a judgement on the players for the entire game based on what was seen. They both played well. Robinson in particular is looking better and is a much better option than Taylor as far as I am concerned. He attacks well and looks for a forward pass quite the opposite from what I have seen from Taylor so far this season. Yes, he needs some weights training to strengthen but he is nowhere as bad as the goal highlights may indicate.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm
From our Ipswich correspondent:
Stop me when I start to sound patronising, but your lot were a bit unlucky on Saturday. A better finisher than Madine would have scored at least two goals, and my mob were going absolutely nowhere until that wildly deflected game-changer, early in the second half. Having said that, the Wanderers completely collapsed after McGoldrick's late strike, even though there was a still a minute or two of regular play and then six minutes (or whatever it was) of added time to go. Which was not a good sign.

Oh, and I beg to differ with the brains' trust on your various forums who declared that Parkinson can't make any tactical changes. After (quite understandably) playing it tight and seeking only to hit on the counter-attack during an arid first half, Bolton were much more open, attacking and expansive after unluckily conceding that first goal, and should have scored at least once.

I can still see you causing West Ham a shock tomorrow.
When he says "brains' trust", I really do hope that the Parky outers are in a distinct minority, that was my assumption??

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:11 pm
The problem with highlights is that they are showing the goals and leads one to make a judgement on the players for the entire game based on what was seen. They both played well. Robinson in particular is looking better and is a much better option than Taylor as far as I am concerned. He attacks well and looks for a forward pass quite the opposite from what I have seen from Taylor so far this season. Yes, he needs some weights training to strengthen but he is nowhere as bad as the goal highlights may indicate.
Oh come on. Robinson is decent going forward. But not the next Cafu. Yet he's a car crash defensively. In fact worse than that, he's not ready for this level of football in any role other than possibly an out and out left winger. Playing him at left back or wing back guarantees the opposition an easy route to a chance or goal.

He's just not yet ready and as soon as Taylor is back he must return because Robinson as promising as he is isn't ready for this situation yet.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am
Oh come on. Robinson is decent going forward. But not the next Cafu. Yet he's a car crash defensively. In fact worse than that, he's not ready for this level of football in any role other than possibly an out and out left winger. Playing him at left back or wing back guarantees the opposition an easy route to a chance or goal.

He's just not yet ready and as soon as Taylor is back he must return because Robinson as promising as he is isn't ready for this situation yet.
That's weird – when Taylor was in you were advocating Robinson. Maybe it's Andranik syndrome again, like when you said Zach was no good until we sold him... :D

I've only seen the 60-second highlights off the tellybox, but The Legendary Flanners was at the game and says Robinson was impressive. A lot less impressed with Mark Little, though.

For what it's worth, I agree with ICB that (brief) highlights often given an unfairly poor impression of a defender or a goalkeeper. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree that Robinson's better than Taylor – seems to me Robinson offers more threat as a wingback, while Taylor's obviously a vastly more experienced *defender*. Might be a case of horses for courses, dependent on formation, opponent and the state of the game itself. It might be fanciful to imagine such notions as "defending a lead" but you'd want Taylor rather than Robinson.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 pm

I have to say I think Robinson is very promising indeed, and have a much less negative view. I'd definitely keep him in ahead of Taylor, if we continue with 3 at the back. He is making the odd mistake defensively just now, which are getting punished, but he is at a stage of his development where he will be learning very quickly. I would never want to see him again in a back4, but he is a far better LWB than Taylor.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am

That's weird – when Taylor was in you were advocating Robinson. Maybe it's Andranik syndrome again, like when you said Zach was no good until we sold him... :D

I've only seen the 60-second highlights off the tellybox, but The Legendary Flanners was at the game and says Robinson was impressive. A lot less impressed with Mark Little, though.

For what it's worth, I agree with ICB that (brief) highlights often given an unfairly poor impression of a defender or a goalkeeper. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree that Robinson's better than Taylor – seems to me Robinson offers more threat as a wingback, while Taylor's obviously a vastly more experienced *defender*. Might be a case of horses for courses, dependent on formation, opponent and the state of the game itself. It might be fanciful to imagine such notions as "defending a lead" but you'd want Taylor rather than Robinson.
I watched the whole game on Saturday on iFollow. Robinson played well, a lot better than the carthorse Little. He just looks clumsy...