Bouncing back in Bristle? You must be off your Bristol Cities. Bristol City v Bolton 26/9/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bouncing back in Bristle? You must be off your Bristol Cities. Bristol City v Bolton 26/9/2017

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm

I’m actually ok with 0-2 especially with 10 men. Feels like at least par. Not bad. Go Wanderers!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Bouncing back in Bristle? You must be off your Bristol Cities. Bristol City v Bolton 26/9/2017

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:51 pm
By pretty good tom do you mean we might SCORE a GOAL? I heard doing that was quite exciting??
Easy, Tiger.
I've seen 3 games this season, 0-4, 0-3, 0-1. I'm desperately holding out for a goalless draw next.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 pm

I dunno i think the next result in that sequence is 1-0?? Maths quiz?

If during the season Ben Almwick ships 85 goals and Mark Howard less than a third of that, how many goals i sMark Beevers responsible for?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Made the error of looking at the table.

Christ. More down then Paul Johnson.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:51 am

So...

We competed well but were second best, even before going down to ten. We had nothing whatsoever in the final third. It was just a question of whether Bristol City could find some quality in our final third or not, as to whether we got a 0-0 or a defeat. I haven't re-watched the goal, but somehow their winger got into a great position for them down our right side. It felt like Pratley/Little/Morais should have done better. Our best spell came midway through the second half when Madine had a header cleared off the line and had a swerving/dipping shot saved by the keeper.

I feel there was a significant improvement in the central midfield area. It my be because I am used to being exasperated by Cullen and Karacan, but today Henry and Pratley felt like Kante and Matic in comparison. Henry had an excellent debut. I had forgotten what it was like to see our midfielders give a free kick away, or to see one of their players on the floor after a strong tackle. If we can keep Henry fit, we will see a dramatic improvement in our possession and goals against stats.

Likely because of the midfield improvement the defence looked more solid. They didn't have many clear cut chances at all, even playing against ten men, and those they did create came down the wings. Howard had an excellent game also and looked sharp and confident.

We may have solved one issue, but we are toothless going forward. The three behind Madine today were poor in terms of creating chances, and we had a reasonable amount of possession to work with. King, playing furthest forward of the central midfield three may become a decent player, and certainly didn't look out of place, but he also didn't look like doing something to create a chance or a goal. He never went past anybody nor had a shot from distance. Morais looked ok on the right till his sending off, but his crosses at best are finding Madine marked by two or three big defenders. Noone had a poor game. He looks like he is only effective on the right as an inverted winger, and looked poor on the left. So no service for Madine, no chances, we were never going to score.

The plus news is that Sammy Ameobi looked sharp when he came on and looked like he could create chances from the right side of the attacking three. Obviously we were down to ten then and there were few options. With Ameobi and Vela back, if we could find a pacy attacker on the other side we would actually have a side that could make serious progress in this league. A big if. Not sure what this Obi we have on trial is like. I am not sure any of Buckley, Armstrong, Noone, King, ALF, Morais can do the job there.

Lastly, I should mention the 280 away fans. We were pretty noisy, and there was never a negative word uttered towards the players and management. Most stayed behind to applaud the team off at the end. There was definitely a feeling that we had done our best out there, and that the players had put a shift in. We are coming from a long way behind, but progress, definitely progress.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:45 am

Good Summary BW3.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 am

Apart from being a "big lad" what does Madine really offer ?
I'd love to see his shots/headers to goal ratio - we'd be able to sue under the trades description act.
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 am

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 am
I'd love to see his shots/headers to goal ratio - we'd be able to sue under the trades description act.
He's better than anything else we've got. By a long way. I'd say thats what he offers. Ideally we'd have gone and signed a championship level striker to play that role....that was an impossibility though.

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 am

I just want to ask , did you accept this ,two point from thirty , don't tell me any excuses just tell me did you accept this if yes tell me why ,and please don't tell me our player not good enough look at Millwall what they are doing and they finish behind us last season .

If any body is working as a chairman did you accept this two point from thirty.

I don't think anybody will accept this.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 am

elhadj wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 am
I just want to ask , did you accept this ,two point from thirty , don't tell me any excuses just tell me did you accept this if yes tell me why ,and please don't tell me our player not good enough look at Millwall what they are doing and they finish behind us last season .

If any body is working as a chairman did you accept this two point from thirty.

I don't think anybody will accept this.
We're all Bolton fans here mate...not sure who you are addressing with this post. As fans we have little choice but to accept. We don't run the club.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 am
nelson66 wrote:
He's better than anything else we've got. By a long way. I'd say thats what he offers. Ideally we'd have gone and signed a championship level striker to play that role....that was an impossibility though.
Point I am trying to make - is that now we are "out of the embargo" - its very obvious that one of our major failings is that we don't have a goal scorer....
I agree with you - that Madine is the best we've got - but I have always thought that he is a very poor finisher
If staying in the Championship is worth £10m+ a year as opposed to being in League 1 then surely a bit of £££ spent on a proven goalscorer would be a good investment

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:37 am

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 am
nelson66 wrote:
Point I am trying to make - is that now we are "out of the embargo" - its very obvious that one of our major failings is that we don't have a goal scorer....
I agree with you - that Madine is the best we've got - but I have always thought that he is a very poor finisher
If staying in the Championship is worth £10m+ a year as opposed to being in League 1 then surely a bit of £££ spent on a proven goalscorer would be a good investment
Well 1) the window is closed and 2) I'm not sure we've got any £££ to spend!

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:53 am

we could sign an out of contract striker (if there was a half decent one available)
but the second reason - is the main one why I still support PP as manager - its like hes hopping on one leg with an arm behind his back.
I actually feel sorry for him

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:53 am
we could sign an out of contract striker (if there was a half decent one available)
but the second reason - is the main one why I still support PP as manager - its like hes hopping on one leg with an arm behind his back.
I actually feel sorry for him
I think any half decent or even quarter decent striker is not out of contract in nearly October.

Indeed the lack of quality in the squad is hurting. Sounds like last night we did ok, but came up short in terms of quality. And thats the big issue - against Brentford we were just hopeless...but even when we get it together and look more solid we don't have the tools to hurt teams in this division. Ameobi, Vela back fully then we will be more dangerous. Whether it is enough...I'm doubtful.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am
nelson66 wrote:
I think any half decent or even quarter decent striker is not out of contract in nearly October.
On an unrelated note, we've been linked (not yet by a reliable source) with Carlton Cole.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am
nelson66 wrote:
On an unrelated note, we've been linked (not yet by a reliable source) with Carlton Cole.
Lets hope it remains unreliable.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 am

elhadj wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 am
I just want to ask , did you accept this ,two point from thirty , don't tell me any excuses just tell me did you accept this if yes tell me why ,and please don't tell me our player not good enough look at Millwall what they are doing and they finish behind us last season .If any body is working as a chairman did you accept this two point from thirty.I don't think anybody will accept this.
Be interesting to hear what you think should have happened elhadji, taking all into account. We can accept it's a pathetic state to be in, just the same we we've had a pathetic summer, but accepting either as fact and changing either is a bit beyond our control. What should we do, get the pitchforks out and burn the Macron down?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:39 pm

On this occasion are we allowed to shoot the messenger? *

* The other fella, not DSB

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:39 pm
On this occasion are we allowed to shoot the messenger? *

* The other fella, not DSB
If you mean the Carlton Cole rumour, it seems to have started in the Star, so I wouldn't worry just yet. Also seems to say Palace are interested (Benteke's out for 6wks) but he'd prefer to play in the Championship, which would be decidedly odd, although others say it's because he wants a longer deal. Which wouldn't exactly fit his recent habits: he lasted eight months of his two-year Celtic deal, a couple of months at Sacramento Republic in the US second tier, and just over four months of a 10-month contract with an Indonesian club. His last goal was in October 2014. And yet there's part of me thinking that maybe...

<sigh>

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Ooh, highlights!