Zeros and Villans: Aston Villa (A) 30/9/17

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Zeros and Villans: Aston Villa (A) 30/9/17

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am

Time for a match thread, whether we like it or not. Last one for a fortnight, so we can all go and hide while the coaches try to find the formula.

What goes 2-1-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0? Why, our goals-for column, of course. After three games, we were a point clear of Villa but they rather spoiled it by then going 4-2, 1-1, 0-0, 0-0, 3-0, 2-1, 4-0 to rope in 15 points from seven games and hoik themselves up to eighth in the table.

If there is any hope for Bolton – and I have to admit, there isn’t much – it may be that Villa seem more relaxed on the road, scoring seven without reply on their last two trips. By contrast, at grand old Villa Park they have since the last international break been held 0-0 by Brentford, 0-0 by Middlesbrough, lost 2-0 to Boro again (in the League Cup) and, last time out, edged out Forest 2-1 despite the visitors having more possession, attempts and accurate attempts. Such statistical inferiority is unlikely to be repeated against Bolton, but Parky would be quite correct in telling his players that if they can just keep it tight for half an hour, the crowd might just get restless.

Whether they can keep it tight is one of the problems. Adomah, Hourihane and Onomah are all taking their chances, and moreover are the kind of pacily intelligent players against whom third-tier heroes Wheater and Beevers have sadly proven all too clay-footed. Reece Burke may be an option, having been rested from the fray at Bristol City as Parky plumped for older heads (“We left the young lads out because we felt it was a night for the more experienced ones“). As the manager says in the BN:
With Josh [Cullen] and Reece I almost feel they are trying too hard, they are absolutely desperate to get the win. They really, really want to do well for Bolton Wanderers but it’s almost working against them at the moment. Reece has made a couple of decision-making errors I have never seen him do before, and it’s just that bit of pressure.

Josh is the same but we have been asking him to do a man’s job and covering a lot of ground in the centre of the midfield. At times he hasn’t had much help. Josh needs a Karl Henry to boss him around and tell him where he should be, rather than a young man having to take that all on himself.
Henry’s battling at Bristol City gave Wanderers hope that the 4-2-3-1 might work, but it will require the 3 to get up around Madine. Morais is suspended but Karacan is back from the naughty step and could be asked to occupy the No.10 role filled by Jeff King at Bristol. Then again, PP liked King, per BN:
I thought [King] was great. He played in that number 10 position, which Josh has done so well for us, and he understands the role. He tightens the team up. We couldn’t quite get him on the ball as much as we would have like to in attacking areas and had to put him in a wider area after the sending off but it was a good night for him.
Will Buckley and, less promisingly, Stephen Darby may be available after training all week, while Sammy Ameobi is likely to come off the bench as the management endeavour not to rush his comeback. PP, BN: “Getting him back out on the pitch has been absolutely huge for us but as I’ve said, we do need to be careful with him. He’s a key player and there’s so much of the season left.”

So who would you pick? I'd probably maintain the same back 7 as at Bristol, with Buckley, Karacan and Noone (left to right) behind Madine, and Ameobi to come on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Zeros and Villans: Aston Villa (A) 30/9/17

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 am

Think it is 7 0's now. You've missed on out. Unless of course you're discounting the West Ham game?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:11 pm

a surprise 1-0 win to us. Potato Head and his bunch of c*nts will have this one down as being points in the bag. Well HA!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 am
Think it is 7 0's now. You've missed on out. Unless of course you're discounting the West Ham game?
Yep, 'cos if you do that you have to include the 3 goals v Sheffield Wednesday and the 2 v Crewe. In the era of squad changes and prioritisation, League Cup games are often fairly irrelevant outliers, as demonstrated by the fact we scored as many in 90 minutes against the Owls (in a game for which each manager made seven changes to his previous XI) as we have in all 10 league games (=c.900 minutes).

So yeah, we've not scored in seven games all-comps, but to me it's more worrying that the only goal we've scored in the last eight league games was an irrelevant injury-time consolation - and that was nine-and-a-half hours' action ago.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm

It's got heavy defeat all over it, this. 0-4
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm
Sadly yes. I'm hoping they'll get bored at 2-0 and we can just sit that out.

Having said that, at some point we're going to score. And knowing us it'll be when we're 3-0 down with 10 minutes left!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:40 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm
Having said that, at some point we're going to score. And knowing us it'll be when we're 3-0 down with 10 minutes left!
"Something to build on", etc

Villa declared after half an hour on Tuesday, but then they were already 3-0 up and added a fourth late on. Mind, they only had five efforts on target, so it's possibly not the planting it first appeared, but it sounds like a Premier League club easing past a third-tier team, which might not be far from the truth financially.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:28 pm

I think this will be close. Having witnessed the Bristol game, we are getting a lot closer. Certainly the defensive side of the team is starting to look competent at this level. The attacking side based on Tuesday still needs a lot of work, however. I think it will be 1-0 or 2-1 but a draw wouldn't surprise me.

Team: Howard; Little, Wheater, Beevers, Taylor; Henry, Pratley; Noone, King, Buckley; Madine.

Longer term I think this kind of team, with Ameobi and Vela to come back will do ok and we will start to get some results. I would eventually like to see Burke in our central defence as he has the most talent, and some pace. Wheater and Beevers are vulnerable to pace and we have to play deeper to compensate. It is best to play the experienced lads at the moment, however. Having said that I'd stick with King, he looks competent, and should be making big strides in his development which can only be good for him and us. I prefer him over Karacan in that role. Morais not being available means Noone can play in his best position, and a chance to show his poor performance at Bristol was an aberration. Hopefully Buckley can get an injury free run of games and provide some attacking threat from the left.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 pm

I predict 5-0. I don't want it to be, but it looks inevitable to me.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Sounds fair enough Brizzle. I hope PP continues with Little rather than drafting Darby back in; not that I wish to hound the Scouser, but Little is much much more use going forward - which will be needed if we're playing Noone as an inverted winger in front of him.

For the record I agree re Burke – I'd like to see us benefit from his pace and frankly ability to move. Karacan's not a 10 but neither is King, really; we might see the kid flick to the left and Buckley at 10, where PP's tried him before. At least, until his hamstrings ping like an overtightened banjo.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:50 pm

Can't see Buckley starting. Too risky after just coming back.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Villa 3 - Bolton 0....could easily be 4 or 5

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 pm
I doubt we'l get five Spots, four at a pinch, but most likely three nil. Oh, and Wheater wil score one of them. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:49 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 pm
I doubt we'l get five Spots, four at a pinch, but most likely three nil. Oh, and Wheater wil score one of them. :lol:
You daft idiot... :spank: :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 pm

it could well be Parkinson's last game if we get beat heavily....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 pm
it could well be Parkinson's last game if we get beat heavily....
Highly unlikely, all taken into account. An opinion based on what exactly P.T?

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 pm

A morale boosting 1-1 please. Otherwise a fortnight's worth of heavy hubris in store

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:07 am

Decided to start the day on a big positive. COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea:

A win is on the cards...start of a new era....and all that... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ae:)

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:21 am

I expect 4-0 to villa , they have kodjia and a young player who seems scoring for fun they will make as o much trouble to our defense because they are slow.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Couple of items of interest. Agbonlahor is available but not expecting to figure at the start (bit frightening when somebody like him isn't a first choice;) oh, and today's ref, one Jeremy Simpson has issued 39 yellow cards and 1 red in ten games...this season already! :shock: