A wiser Wanderers to meet with the Owls - Bolton v Sheffield Wed 14/10/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: A wiser Wanderers to meet with the Owls - Bolton v Sheffield Wed 14/10/2017

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:02 pm

I've played the pen claim several times and I think the ref must have thought he was looking for a pen and the full length dive might support that...?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:02 pm
I've played the pen claim several times and I think the ref must have thought he was looking for a pen and the full length dive might support that...?
It looks to me very similar to the one that got Watford level yesterday: contact, maximised by striker. Watford got the pen, Wednesday didn’t. Oh well :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:47 pm

I think it was a penalty, but we deserved something to go for us. Had they equalised then I'm not sure we'd have recovered at all this season.

I also think Morais should have been sent off, though the new rules clearly lend some ambiguity to that. But having let play go on, does double jeopardy still apply?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 pm

What double jeopardy are you on about?

It's clear the reason he wasn't sent off is that he didn't deny a goalscoring opportunity.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 pm

It's clear the reason he wasn't sent off is that he didn't deny a goalscoring opportunity.
Previously the rules said if you denied a clear goalscoring opportunity in the box you were sent off and a penalty given, then they changed them to stop so called double jeopardy and removed the red card stipulation.

I agree about not denying a goalscoring opportunity but there is an interesting point here in general. The header was goalbound, and he stopped it going in. Yes they went on to score, but at what point does the denial come into play.

However, with double jeopardy would he even have been sent off if the ref had blown up and awarded a penalty?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:04 pm
That Madine miss :shock:
Awful wasn’t it?
He gets that one - mainly cos we won - but he will be panned if he misses another like that! Absolute enigma.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Previously the rules said if you denied a clear goalscoring opportunity in the box you were sent off and a penalty given, then they changed them to stop so called double jeopardy and removed the red card stipulation.

I agree about not denying a goalscoring opportunity but there is an interesting point here in general. The header was goalbound, and he stopped it going in. Yes they went on to score, but at what point does the denial come into play.

However, with double jeopardy would he even have been sent off if the ref had blown up and awarded a penalty?
Yes. It doesn't apply if it's deliberate (and handball is also explicitly not included, I suppose given the weird twist of logic that that particular rule demands on the word "deliberate").
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 pm

This was played at the end of the game yesterday. Such was the rarity of that winning feeling thousands of us were still in our seats when it had finished!! And the players were still on the pitch applauding the supporters. There was a sense they were feeling the relief as much as we were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXt7YvK9Hw

And, well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsuAbTTsV8

COYWM!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 pm
This was played at the end of the game yesterday. Such was the rarity of that winning feeling thousands of us were still in our seats when it had finished!! And the players were still on the pitch applauding the supporters. There was a sense they were feeling the relief as much as we were.
Good. They should enjoy the moment, and want more of it. Turn the moment into momentum.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm

We won a comp to sit in those cinema seats next to the away dug-out. I want to change my season ticket to sit there every week. Gave Carlvahal hell in the second half. Great day.

Noise is 10 x louder at pitch level than in the stands, weirdly enough.

Madine..... It's sad when you'd back him to miss an open net, more than scoring it. Not having him, me.

Vela is absolutely vital to how we play. Ameobi is absolutely vital to how we WANT to play
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"