A wiser Wanderers to meet with the Owls - Bolton v Sheffield Wed 14/10/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: A wiser Wanderers to meet with the Owls - Bolton v Sheffield Wed 14/10/2017

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Ok some sober post match analysis:

What a wonderfully exciting game. The second half was end to end and both teams should have scored a number of goals. I think we just about deserved it but we rode our luck certainly. Beevers made a miraculous clearance off the line in the first half, and I thought the ball was already past Alnwick when he saved with his feet at 2-1 in the second half. And they had what looked a stonewall penalty turned down and Morais could have been sent off for deliberately handling a goal bound effort, from which they eventually scored. Not sure what the right decision is there. He got a yellow card.

There was a surreal moment after about 65 minutes, when our fans were singing the great escape tune, and their fans were singing "We're fecking shit".

Vela was for me Motm. An incredible performance given it was his first game for two months. His pressing gave us a totally different look, and he could have scored a couple and looked threatening all game. The contrast between Sheffield Wednesday trying to play out from the back, and Middlesbrough last month doing it was amazing. Sheffield struggled and made errors that should have led to goals, Middlesbrough had 66% possession and could've done it all week.

The defensive midfield area is sorted. Henry has made a massive difference and if we get out of this his signing will probably be the most crucial event that turned it around. We need the likes of Henry, Ameobi and Vela to stay fit and we will have a chance.

Madine had a good game again, but his finishing has to get better. The miss today from three yards when he had the whole goal available to him was utterly terrible, and could easily have been the key moment in us not winning this game.

I still worry about Wheater and Beevers when we are under pressure. We look like we are going to concede chances when teams get balls into our box. And when ever a striker gets these two one on one it looks pretty terrifying.

We have a way of playing now with the 4-5-1 similar to how we played last October through December when we looked too good for L1. We have personnel who can compete in this division. It would be nice if Armstrong or someone else became the equivalent of Clough last year, which would make us into a very decent side. Henry, Pratley and Vela is an upgrade on Thorpe, Spearing and Vela and a necessary one. This isn't a one off, we are genuinely competitive. It is going to be a very interesting season now, we have a good spirit and a genuine chance to survive if we can avoid key injuries.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Staying up is still a huge ask. We are still 6 points adrift and clearly we will struggle if we lose any key players. But there is some hope we can at least make a fight of this. If we go down, we go down fighting.

Had Vela and Ameobi not been injured I think we currently sit outside the bottom three just about. That's how much it has hurt us.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 pm

What a bloody good win that was! It was end to end stuff, and it could have ended any score, but enjoyed it (at then end when we won).
Vela my MOM closely followed by Ameobi, what a difference these two players make to our team. We are going to find it really difficult to catch up, but as long as they put the fight and passion in today in their other matches at least I will know we tried

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Just got back home. Maybe I need to break down every week...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:07 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:05 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:56 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:01 pm
Ding dang do! That's what it feels like.
And for me. I nice time to offer a dedication to dearly departed " Higgy" who would have loved that.. :pray: Hoping for a decent match report on here from somebody at the Mac?
Bit harsh on erdentw :D
Haha! I watched it on the iFollow from Switzerland. Not sure if anyone else watches it via that stream but the camera"man" appears to be an A-Level Media Studies student who hasn't used a camera before. No replays either!
Wait till you see the talents of some of the away teams we play. The one at Villa was pissed.

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Finally we won finally we scoring a goal , good win but the important question is can we build on this win and make a good run or it is just one match , can Parkinson and the player build on this win .

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 pm
I think I need a lie down, or a beer.

:pissed:

I chose the beer option - in the local industrial unit brewery tap room.

Brewery Motto: Wandering, but not lost!

:pissed:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Cracking goal line clearence by the man I would have dropped for today. Little as well. Maybe, just maybe thats the formula we need to pick up some points. Pleased for parky really - he’s obviously been hurting and worked hard over the break. The amount of shit he has put up with as a manager is more than anyone else in the 92. Deserved that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 pm

A B.B.C report shows 67% possession to Wednesday. Granted I only heard the whole game on radio, but it didn't sound that uneven. Is that accurate?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Great great great great result. But it's gonna be a maaaaassive uphill struggle if Madine continues to miss from 6 yards. Only saw the channel 5 highlights so not got a great feel for The Overall, but chances like that shouldn't go begging at any level.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:31 pm

I suspect we’ll see few wins this season, so I’ll take this warm fuzzy glow while it lasts. No doubt, it’ll be totally extinguished when I’m at Fulham in a couple of weeks! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

WTW
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WTW » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Such a good feeling leaving the stadium today. I'd almost forgotten what it was like. We deserved the victory. We played well all over the pitch (Alnwick was outstanding, and needed to be, Beevers his best of the season, the return of Vela showed what we've been missing, and my MotM, Ameobi, scored what may well be our goal of the season - I really hope the injury doesn't turn out to be serious, when he's on form he's outstanding). If - it's a big if always - injuries don't crucify us - we have a chance of staying up.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:11 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 pm
A B.B.C report shows 67% possession to Wednesday. Granted I only heard the whole game on radio, but it didn't sound that uneven. Is that accurate?
They had a massive chunk of possession at the start of the first half and most after we scored the 2nd.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Highlights - and there are some! - here:
https://youtu.be/3kGWvn1vQDg
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm
Highlights - and there are some! - here:
https://youtu.be/3kGWvn1vQDg
Superb mate. Thanks a bunch.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:04 pm

That Madine miss :shock:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Bit more extended highlights here, including the dive/pen claim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhESfMMYIU

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 pm
Bit more extended highlights here, including the dive/pen claim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhESfMMYIU
Obviously that’s from the Wednesday site and presumably edited favourably. I’d be intrigued to see our 10-minute version, as by most accounts it was quite the game and not really as one-sided or unlucky as this version might make it seem.

I do love the sidekick’s complaints, especially about the first-half incident in which Madine shoulder-charges the Wednesday player onto the running track, to predictable howls from the Owls. Get on the weights, mate.

To be fair, I’d’ve been fuming if that were us not getting a late penalty, or the curious case of Morais not getting sent off for their goal (is that a new “double jeopardy” rule?). Wheater might have given away a penalty and Beevers completely let go of Rhodes for the one the £10m ALF slashed high and wide. On a different day we might have been bemoaning the same old failures. But then again Beevers stopped a certain goal with that line clearance and Wheater wasn’t far off scoring himself.

Most importantly it seemed that there was movement between midfield and attack rather than Gaz in unsplendid isolation. It’s one win, but it’s welcome, and it’s a start, and it proves that all is not lost before the clocks go back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm guessing with Morais the ref felt he couldn't send him off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity given they did in fact score. Seems a bit woolly to me mind, not sure how long you get away with before you've denied a clear goalscoring opportunity but they've just made another one...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:15 pm
I'm guessing with Morais the ref felt he couldn't send him off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity given they did in fact score. Seems a bit woolly to me mind, not sure how long you get away with before you've denied a clear goalscoring opportunity but they've just made another one...
I was thinking about this last night. As I understand it, you can't play advantage on a foul that would result in a red card - as it would then be unfair if that player came back to spoil the advantage before receiving his marching orders. So the ref was left with two choices; disallow the goal, send Morais off and award a penalty, or allow the goal but only book Morais.

I guess neither decision is entirely wrong or right...