Buoyant Bolton or Wallowing Wanderers? Fulham v Bolton 28/10/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Buoyant Bolton or Wallowing Wanderers? Fulham v Bolton 28/10/2017

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:26 am

We face our second West London opponents in a row on Saturday. This time it is us making the 220 mile journey, as we play Fulham at Craven Cottage, a ground so close to the banks of the Thames that a hearty Wheater clearance could easily result in a watery ending. Slavisa Jokanovic's outfit certainly made a few waves last season, as they stylishly played their way to the play offs, doing the double over champions Newcastle in the process, before unluckily losing to Reading in the two legged semi final, with ex whites keeper Ali Al Habsi earning the motm award for Reading in the second leg. They were expected to lose stars Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon in the summer, but unexpectedly both signed new contracts and after spending lots of money on strikers Rui Fonte, Aboubakar Kamara and Ibrahima Cisse they were expected to be challenging again this season. They currently sit 10th on 18 points from 13 games, and are finding it difficult to win at home with just one win all season.

So can we end our run of five successive non-scoring away defeats? There have been signs of improvement in the last two games when we have finally had all our best players available. It seems the best way to make things hard for Fulham is to press them, with Preston snatching a draw from the jaws of victory in Fulham's last home game due to a goalkeeping calamity in the 96th minute. Jokanovic described that game as the division's "best team without the ball" against the "best team with the ball". With Vela back pressing is perhaps an area of the game we are pretty competent at, so maybe we can sneak something?

The same team to sneak a 1-1 is my prediction, possibly with an element of heart ruling head.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Buoyant Bolton or Wallowing Wanderers? Fulham v Bolton 28/10/2017

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:37 am

We'll get smashed 3-0. If we're lucky.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 am

Watched Arsenal-Norwich the other day. The gulf between the "haves" in this league, and us, is huge.

Comfortable home win, I fear.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 am

I'm about 83.5% sure I'm going; obviously, The Legendary Flanners is. Last time he and I went to a game together, the Postman delivered into the top corner right in front of us. By Saturday that will be 11 weeks ago, and Bolton haven't scored a road goal since. The fans have gone to Birmingham, Hull, Ipswich, West Ham, Bristol City and Aston Villa without seeing the net bulge in our favour. That's just shy of 2,000 miles; add in the return from Millwall and the trip to Fulham and there'll be some folks who've done nigh on 2,500 miles waiting for Wanderers to score, let alone win. I hope they - we – get that pleasure at the Cottage.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:42 am

My experience of Craven Cottage is that we play shite and lose. One notable exception was a wintery mid week affair that was so bad and so cold I was willing anyone to score to avoid extra time. Extra time ensued and we bored ourselves to victory. District Line was up the spout. I'm fairly sure we lost in the next round anyway.

So based on my experience it'll be shit and we'll lose by 1 or 2 goals :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:37 am
Not sure why you bother getting out of bed mate. You're either the world's greatest pessimist or the or a total wind-up merchant. Try a smile and a bit of positivity; it works occasionally. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:42 am
My experience of Craven Cottage is that we play shite and lose. One notable exception was a wintery mid week affair that was so bad and so cold I was willing anyone to score to avoid extra time. Extra time ensued and we bored ourselves to victory. District Line was up the spout. I'm fairly sure we lost in the next round anyway.

One of Sammy Lee's three wins. Applause for those who can name the other two.

Yes, we lost the next round 1-0 at home to City - Elano converting a late penalty, given by Howard Webb after a long chat with his flag-botherer. I believe it was Megson's first game.

Last few league visits to Craven Cottage, per 11v11.com:
07.05.16 L 0-1
01.10.14 L 0-4
17.12.11 L 0-2
27.04.11 L 0-3
28.11.09 D 1-1
13.09.08 L 1-2
15.08.07 L 1-2
23.08.06 D 1-1
27.11.05 L 2-1
21.08.04 L 0-2
06.12.03 L 1-2
17.08.02 L 1-4
23.04.02 L 0-3
04.03.01 D 1-1
23.11.99 D 1-1
21.11.92 W 4-1

Last time we won there, Josh Vela wasn’t born. Neither were more than half of the latest England squad: Jesse Lingard, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Jack Butland, Harry Kane, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Eric Dier, Jordan Pickford, John Stones, Raheem Sterling, Harry Winks, Dele Alli and Marcus Rashford. John Major and Bill Cinton had just won their first elections, there’d just been a fire at Windsor Castle, Ford were about to unveil the Ford Mondeo to replace the Sierra, the IRA were about to bomb the Manchester Arndale and I’d just gone off to uni. Christ.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:11 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Yes, we lost the next round 1-0 at home to City - Elano converting a late penalty, given by Howard Webb after a long chat with his flag-botherer. I believe it was Megson's first game.
Tube delays meant only a quickly downed pint in the 8 Bells which got the night off to a bad start. Luckily I had a hip flask :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:37 am
Not sure why you bother getting out of bed mate. You're either the world's greatest pessimist or the or a total wind-up merchant. Try a smile and a bit of positivity; it works occasionally. :wink:
I'm a positive person. I can't see us getting anything out of this game. But I won't let it ruin my day.

However, I take issue with wind up merchant. I have opinions and will argue them. I don't deliberately try and wind anyone up. If I disagree then I'll say so and why.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Everything points to defeat apart from our recent mild upturn in form.

2-0 win and the Mackems start sweating
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Under Sammy Lee - we beat Reading 3-0 at home. Gary Speed scored the first goal, to give us the lead in a Premier League match, and no-one went along to celebrate with him. You could tell something was up at that point. The hardest thing to do in a football match - score a goal - and no phecker on the team was arsed about it apart from the late Gary. He ran to the corner flag, alone, looking proper bemused. Dunno about the second goal but the third was laid on a plate for Nic39 by the massivedonkey-sealdribbler Braaten, whom Meggo later offloaded to Toulouse alongside far too much cash in exchange for a soft-as-shite prancing Swede. One scandinavian flop for another.

Ahhhh.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:15 pm

If we keep a clean sheet we'll draw nil-nil. A point would be great and so would another up in sunnerlan on Tuesday night.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:14 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Under Sammy Lee - we beat Reading 3-0 at home. Gary Speed scored the first goal, to give us the lead in a Premier League match, and no-one went along to celebrate with him. You could tell something was up at that point. The hardest thing to do in a football match - score a goal - and no phecker on the team was arsed about it apart from the late Gary. He ran to the corner flag, alone, looking proper bemused. Dunno about the second goal but the third was laid on a plate for Nic39 by the massivedonkey-sealdribbler Braaten, whom Meggo later offloaded to Toulouse alongside far too much cash in exchange for a soft-as-shite prancing Swede. One scandinavian flop for another.

Ahhhh.
The other was in the UEFA Cup against some Christ-knows-who-team from far away.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:25 pm
Dr Hotdog wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Ahhhh.
FC Rabotnicki, was it not?

And in the Reading game, fairly certain Anelka got the 2nd (from a free kick) but the 3rd was actually scored by Braaten. Half volley, bounced into the ground and over the keeper. Looked spectacular. Shame everything else he did for us was naff.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm

At least we don't have Clint Dempsey and Claus Jensen to worry about.... ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm
At least we don't have Clint Dempsey and Claus Jensen to worry about.... ae:)
Nor Steed flaming Malbranque!! :)

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 am

I shall be there, paying on the gate. 1-1 COYW.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:14 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:25 pm
Dr Hotdog wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Ahhhh.
FC Rabotnicki, was it not?
And in the Reading game, fairly certain Anelka got the 2nd (from a free kick) but the 3rd was actually scored by Braaten. Half volley, bounced into the ground and over the keeper. Looked spectacular. Shame everything else he did for us was naff.
Reading and Rabotnicki were indeed the only other fallers upon Little Sam's sword.

Gerald Cid in defence, Mikel Alonso in midfield, Wilhelmsson and Braaten on the wings, Sammy Lee in the dugout – just how bad were Rabotnicki? Well, they did the Macedonian double that year, winning the League by 13 points, reaching the Champions League first qualifying round and losing on away goals to Azerbaijani champs Baku, 3124 miles away from Bolton. Funny old life.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 am

Pay on the day confirmed.

------------
Tickets will be available on a cash only basis from the Putney End away turnstiles from 1.30pm, with prices increasing by £5 for all concessions (except juniors) on match day.

Ticket collections and duplicate tickets can be picked up from the Ticket Collection booths, located to the left of the Ticket Office on Stevenage Road, also from 1.30pm.

Tickets however will remain on sale via Bolton Central’s phone lines and in person until 2pm on Friday 27 October.

Please call 0844 871 2932 for more information.

Prices if bought prior to Saturday (Matchday prices)
Adults: £25 (£30)
Over-65s: £20 (£25)
Under-22s: £20 (£25)
Under-18s: £15 (£15)

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Any pub of choice for one before the game? I'm hearing 'White Horse' at Parsons Green. Usually busy with Chelsea fans but, with their game at Bournemouth, won't be the case tomorrow.