Scary movie; The race to the bottom; Sunderland v Bolton 31/10/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Scary movie; The race to the bottom; Sunderland v Bolton 31/10/2017

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Is it purely post match blues, cos this hurts more than the last two. Yeah, I know, another point on the road, so many unbeaten blah blah. Should have seen this one out though. I felt positive (not good - edit) after Fulham - this one sucks. Should be out of bottom three by now, as is we're rooted bottom. Bollocks
Last edited by Jim_McDonuts on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:44 pm

At least Burton lost? (And when the last time we scored three in one match? Seems like ages...)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:44 pm

FT 3-3. Two points dropped. Twice. We'd have been third-bottom if we could hold a lead, but that's now four leads dropped in three games. It's better than it was but we can't keep turning over the advantage like that.

Could, arguably should, have been 12 points from the last four games, and we won't get many such winnable four-game runs. It's a simple mathematical fact that the difference between winning and drawing is twice the difference between losing and drawing, and at the minute that difference is sending us down.

The main hope is that there are currently three other teams who are getting less than a point per game. Trouble is we've just played one of them and spurned two golden opportunities to kick them in the cock. After 15 games we've got 8 points, so even at the conservative 46-point target we've got to start winning rather than drawing.

I may be chirpier tomorrow but right now this feels like a huge opportunity not just missed but squandered.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 pm

Yeah thats what I meant DSB just without the explaining bit.

We need to win games of football, if the aim is staying up. And being in the lead twice against a team who lose loads of games, and not winning. Well its the kind of thing you do when you go down.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 pm

There are obvious positives to take from how we're playing now compared to before the last international break. On more than one occaison over the last four games we've actually looked a decent side.

Ultimately though, the 'I'd have taken a point before the game' doesn't really wash when you're a goal up with 10-15mins to go in three seperate games. You're not going to find better chances to win later in the fixture list than that.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Grayson got the heave-ho

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Grayson gone. Sunderland not happy with a point then...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Certainly cannot keep throwing leads away. On a positive we went 2-1 down and didn't lose.

End of the day this team can compete, but we had too poor a start with key players missing.

Very hard to see us staying up, because I struggle to see us being able to consistently win games in this league with the squad we've got. We've got Norwich Saturday and tough to see us winning that. Which means we slip further off the pace. Win that though and the picture changes.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Last three games we have dropped six points from winning positions, it's an improvement from the early games but something needs to be done with that defence.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:19 pm

When we defend well we don't score enough and when we bang a few in we can't stop conceding.

Seen that a few times before, almost always in teams that are not quite good enough for the league they are in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 pm

^
If teams are winning, somebody has to be losing. If we can just get a few wins and points in hand we'll be no diferent than any other team in the bottom half. We got off to a bad stasrt, but the spirit and fight we're showing, like tonight, means we're capable of competing. Thus, what others are doing is of little consequence if we win a few. We can't leave it all up to Sammi and Vela, we need a playmaker who can change things quicky, a Paul Scoles, David Silva or Lionel Messi (well, maybe not quite that good.. :wink: ) rather than a Darren Pratley in some games (like the last few) where we are looking to win rather than play damage limitation.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:30 pm

Another sickener. All results "decent" in isolation but having a decent run but turning wins in to draws doesn't often bode well. Even holding on to one of those three wins would've kept things feeling positive. That has to take a psychological toll.

Watched Norwich against Arsenal last week and they deserved to win. Saturday is going to be tough. Got to hire this run of games is a leveller and hope our tired but settled band can beat their possibly fresher but changed lot. Not optimistic.

Two games on a row now I've come in from playing to find us winning. F*cking Bolton
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 am

We should really have conceded more against Sheffield Wednesday. That could have ended up all sorts of scores, from 4-2 to 2-4 to 4-4, but it should never have ended 2-1. So really we have proved that whilst we can compete, when we come under pressure, we can't cope. It could be a mental thing, but from what I have seen Wheater and Beevers, although no doubt the best we have, really struggle in this division when teams have pressure and they also have quick players. From what I saw on Sky Sports, Sunderland played through us easily for their first two goals, and for the attack that ended in a penalty appeal. I hope it is something we can find a way to overcome.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 am

Happy with a point and the unbeaten run to continue. 3 weeks ago I'd written this season off so whilst I think we're still going down at least we're competing. Hopefully the January transfer window will give us further chances.

Sunderland remind me of us post Dougie. A new manager might keep them up this season but they're In a downward spiral now. Their Darren Pratley is Jack Rodwell. 60k a week and not even in the first team
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:51 am

We have had bigger wages than Pratley doing nowt in the last 8 years. Amos is a big one but people like Mears, Ngog, Sordell spring to mind...cant failt Darrens effort.

Seen the goals, Ameobi another great strike (am I right in thinking he is on one year?), Henrys cracking finish as well. Good to see Madine finally score. Their goals though, Alnwick poor for 1 (didnt narrow the angle enough) and 3. Beevers for 1 (good ball though) and the whole lot for 2. Third should of been closed down but I think it looked saveable. Poor. Poor result.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am

Think we could do a lot worse than Grayson if PP proves he isn't up to it. Not saying we should sack Parky now, but if it does end badly with him, Grayson seems to have done a decent job in most places - not Sunderland, but that place is a cracker factory that's chewed up much bigger managers than we could hope to hire.

Last three games, three points won but six points dropped - that would have seen us well above the dots. And as Brizzle notes, we could easily have chucked a two-goal lead against Wednesday. It's nice that we're taking the lead, but it seems like we're not so much taking it as borrowing it on a short-term loan.

Speaking of which, it's fine to hope we strike gold in the transfer window, but every other team will hope so too, and every other team has more money than us, especially now Ken's pulled up the drawbridge.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am
Think we could do a lot worse than Grayson if PP proves he isn't up to it. Not saying we should sack Parky now, but if it does end badly with him, Grayson seems to have done a decent job in most places - not Sunderland, but that place is a cracker factory that's chewed up much bigger managers than we could hope to hire.

Last three games, three points won but six points dropped - that would have seen us well above the dots. And as Brizzle notes, we could easily have chucked a two-goal lead against Wednesday. It's nice that we're taking the lead, but it seems like we're not so much taking it as borrowing it on a short-term loan.

Speaking of which, it's fine to hope we strike gold in the transfer window, but every other team will hope so too, and every other team has more money than us, especially now Ken's pulled up the drawbridge.
I'd rather have Parky. I'm sure Ken would too.

Frankly if we change managers this season, in my view its a disaster. We're slowly pulling things round and need to rebuild the club up. Chopping and changing will set things back. We're going to go down but the job is to come back up again with a stronger squad.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 am

Not good enough for me to say "we're going down". We've shown we can compete. Not saying I think we will stay up, or that I would sack Parky of we didn't, but it isn't a foregone conclusion, and we shouldn't be going down without a fight.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 am
Not good enough for me to say "we're going down". We've shown we can compete. Not saying I think we will stay up, or that I would sack Parky of we didn't, but it isn't a foregone conclusion, and we shouldn't be going down without a fight.
Absolutely. If we stay up, great. I'm struggling to see how. We're now competing. And showing we're not far off. But probably a little short, especially given the issues we had at the start.

The bigger picture is we're still trying to stabilise as a club, financially and off the field. If we ever find someone to bankroll us the situation changes and we can re-evaluate. Till then I think being as steady and level-headed as we can is the only way forward.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:40 pm

[/quote]

I'd rather have Parky. I'm sure Nelson66 would too

Frankly if we change managers this season, in my view its a disaster. We're slowly pulling things round and need to rebuild the club up. Chopping and changing will set things back. We're going to go down but the job is to come back up again with a stronger squad.
[/quote]

Exactly my line of thought too - I like everything that Parky does other than his total reliance on the Washing Machine (but I do suspect/hope that given a better budget he would be looking at better options)
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin: