[Motm Poll added] Does Parky have the Balls to find a winning recipe? Bolton v Norwich 4/11/217

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who was Man of the Match??

Sammi Ameobi
25%
Gary Madine
35%
Ben Alnwick
10%
Karl Henry
15%
Mark Little
10%
Other
5%

Total votes: 20

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

[Motm Poll added] Does Parky have the Balls to find a winning recipe? Bolton v Norwich 4/11/217

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:46 pm

If this game was decided by the amount of aging British celebrities in the boardroom, then this would be a resounding 3-0 defeat at best. We just could not compete with majority shareholders Delia Smith, Michael Wynn-Jones and chairman and ex Labour party chancellor Ed Balls. There is even actor Stephen Fry waiting in the wings, although he is now in the role of ambassador having resigned from the board last year. Given we have had our fill of 3-0 defeats already this season we must hope for a different outcome when the main protagonists take the field on Saturday.

Norwich have certainly been labouring over the last couple of seasons. Relegated from the Premiership in 2015/16, they had a disappointing campaign last season when they failed to make the play offs, and have now entered that dreaded downsizing phase, where harsh financial realities make meeting still inflated on-field expectations difficult. In an effort to turn the fortunes around, they have tried to emulate Huddersfield and David Wagner by turning to Broussia Dortmund's 2nd team manager Daniel Farke. Five German players were thus signed in a total summer outlay of £10m, whilst the club made the necessary financial adjustment by bringing in £18m largely through the sale of Jacob Murhpy to Newcastle and Johnny Howson to Middlesbrough. On the pitch a shaky start was followed by a great run largely built on strong defensive foundations, before two momentum stalling successive home defeats in their last two games.

For us, there has been a distinct improvement in recent weeks, with six points from an unbeaten run of four games, but also some frustration in that we seem to have a big problem in defending leads. Whether it be down to lack of ability to be ruthless on the counter attack, lack of ability to keep the ball in midfield, a slow defence, not the best goalkeepers, tiredness, mental fragility, or suspect managerial tactics it seems a tricky one to solve. Given we had a start where we have given every team in this league a significant start, it is vital we make progress in sorting this issue out if we are not to suffer a debilitating 2nd relegation in the last two years.

So who will play and how will we do? The starting XI now seems pretty settled, with most completing 90 minutes on Tuesday. Fatigue may be an issue after two hard away games, but it seems likely we will be unchanged, with Antonee Robinson getting rave reviews from his performance after deputizing for Taylor at left back.

So; Alnwick, Little, Wheater, Beevers, Robinson; Henry, Pratley, Vela, Armstrong, Ameobi; Madine to scrape a 2-1?? COYW
Last edited by bristol_Wanderer3 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Does Parky have the Balls to find a winning recipe? Bolton v Norwich 4/11/217

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 pm

It has crossed my mind (although I immediately went out and bought a garlic necklace) that if we actually do produce any match-winning stars in the rest of this season, will we be able to keep them (taking all the factors into account) ? Being in the pauper class as far as financial competition goes, who will stay or go whatever?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Does Parky have the Balls to find a winning recipe? Bolton v Norwich 4/11/217

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:54 pm

No.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 am

They brought in £18m through the sales of Johnny Howson and Jacob Murphy? I've never heard of either of them! I know we were a basket case as soon as we went down from the Prem yet unlike many others, we came down without any huge saleable assets. Was CYL our biggest sale at £3.5m?

Anyway the game. We'll stuff em. 2-0 win
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:28 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 am
They brought in £18m through the sales of Johnny Howson and Jacob Murphy? I've never heard of either of them! I know we were a basket case as soon as we went down from the Prem yet unlike many others, we came down without any huge saleable assets. Was CYL our biggest sale at £3.5m?

Aye and that was despite having an award winning expensive youth system.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:14 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 pm
It has crossed my mind (although I immediately went out and bought a garlic necklace) that if we actually do produce any match-winning stars in the rest of this season, will we be able to keep them (taking all the factors into account) ? Being in the pauper class as far as financial competition goes, who will stay or go whatever?
Well I guess it depends on who emerges. Looking at the likely candidates:

Sammi Ameobi: Is only on a one year deal, and there was no mention of an option, so it is unlikely we would be able to keep him if he continues as he is, because we won't be able to compete with most of the Championship in terms of wages. If Ken was on the ball, he would be preparing a new 2-3 year deal right now, which would at least give us the ability to command a fee if he does become a sought after player and gets the offer of a good move, which at his current age of 25 is definitely possible.

Josh Vela: Contracted to 2019. Has come through the ranks so might be more likely to stay than if he had come from somewhere else. He is at an age (23) and career trajectory where he might command a decent transfer fee and get a decent move, and it is hard to see Ken turning any decent money down given our financial state, and his shallow pockets.

Gary Madine. Contracted to 2019. Likes working under Parky, which might count for quite a lot as he seems to need the right environment to produce his best. As above Ken would probably like to cash in if a decent offer came in. Although we may scoff at the thought of Madine going for decent money, strikers usually command very inflated fees, and imho he has improved a lot.

Adam Armstrong / Antonee Robinson. Both promising young players who could become good at this level quickly, both only here on loan till January. Again Ken should be looking to at least secure an extension till the end of the season for these two now. We would have to spend some money to buy them for them to be here longer, which seems unlikely unless Ken sells up.

Karl Henry. We could definitely keep him. He has already indicated he might like to stay beyond the end of his current end of season deal, and he will be 35 then so unlikely to have many better offers, even though imho he is an excellent player.

Beyond that hard to imagine anyone else being match-winning stars, but of the rest of our current first XI, Alnwick, Beevers and Pratley are out of contract at the end of the season, Wheater signed a one year deal "with an option" in the summer, Little and Taylor are contracted till 2019.

All imho of course.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:25 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 am

CYL went for something like £500k I think. Palace signed him with 6 months left on his contract iirc.

I agree we did terribly at getting decent money during our downsizing phase, which imho contributed to our almost terminal decline. At the time we came down ED's money tap valve was on full flow setting and I think we lost our financial heads. Also Coyle's bluster had long since given way to incompetence and many of the players we had were unattractive to buyers and/or underperforming. Think Zat Knight, DAvid N'Gog, Marvin Sordell, an ageing SKD. Others like Bogdan and Alonso who might have been worthy of a decent fee we lost for nothing after failing to go up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Had we sold a dozen players for £3m each we'd still have been £150m+ in the hole. When finances get that f*cked, no amount of player-selling will help.

Bar Vela, nobody of the present squad would raise a fee worth the ink on the cheque. It's a squad purposefully built to be in transition, between divisions and possibly between owners. I approve of the flexibility, because handing long contracts to pan-flashers is part of the problem. It also, by the by, makes it less of a disaster if we do change manager: at the moment, we have 10 contracted players for next season and none thereafter, so there's no overhang for the manager - whether it's Parky or not, Champo or L1.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:51 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:14 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sammi Ameobi: Is only on a one year deal, and there was no mention of an option, so it is unlikely we would be able to keep him if he continues as he is, because we won't be able to compete with most of the Championship in terms of wages. If Ken was on the ball, he would be preparing a new 2-3 year deal right now, which would at least give us the ability to command a fee if he does become a sought after player and gets the offer of a good move, which at his current age of 25 is definitely possible.
Its not as simple as "here's a contract Sammi, sign".

No doubt he and his agent are looking at his performances and plotting where we and he might be next season. I doubt any player in that scenario signs a deal anytime soon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:51 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:14 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Its not as simple as "here's a contract Sammi, sign".

No doubt he and his agent are looking at his performances and plotting where we and he might be next season. I doubt any player in that scenario signs a deal anytime soon.
Furthermore: players and agents aren't daft. You don't just sign an extended contract on the same wage: if the club want you to stick around, then they must be scared of losing you, so you screw them for a higher wage. Remember that by most accounts Ameobi's demands were out of reach in early summer before some renegotiations brought the two parties close enough together, presumably with us offering more and Sammy asking less. Given that this was after promotion but before the embargo-based imposition of the lower wage ceiling, I'd imagine he's already one of our highest-paid Parky/Ken players (exempting Pratley and Amos, the only two not contracted or recontracted post-Ken). If we sidle up to him – after he's scored three goals in four games – and suggest an extension, he'd be well within his rights to request a raise.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Meanwhile, back at a very wet and windy Macron, I'm hoping the warriors in White will rise to the occasion and get us not only not a loss, but a win and three points. Not heard much about injuries etc or who is or isn't up for it today (Found it a bit interesting that Carl Henry reckons we (like quite a few other) hav 20% "oddballs" in the squad. Got me specualting who they may be..? :wink:

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 pm

heart 2-1, head 0-3, soul COYW.
Back for the nail-biting later, thanks in advance to radio tango (probably my prefered digital platform for the wanderers games these days:)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 pm
Meanwhile, back at a very wet and windy Macron, I'm hoping the warriors in White will rise to the occasion and get us not only not a loss, but a win and three points. Not heard much about injuries etc or who is or isn't up for it today (Found it a bit interesting that Carl Henry reckons we (like quite a few other) hav 20% "oddballs" in the squad. Got me specualting who they may be..? :wink:
Goalkeepers are generally accepted to be a bit weird, so you've got 3 there :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Going off the weather (been out once and I'm dog walking in a few minutes) it's going to be a bit parky around the Rivingtons, for the faithful this afternoon. Could be for or against, who knows? Norwich seems to be about the same so it might not matter.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 pm

A2B94DEB-88DF-45CC-8DCC-3150B0CB0243.jpeg
A2B94DEB-88DF-45CC-8DCC-3150B0CB0243.jpeg (137.04 KiB) Viewed 18975 times
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Well, some nice remarks about the fallen comrades rememberance (don't forget the minute's silence at 3-0'clock and now it's almost time for the battle..Dog walked, brew made so, COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Micmen ready in the punch and judy box, silence replaced by applause apparently....and away we go...Whites versus Canary Yellows and the battle commences. Rain and wind in attendance. Madine gets an early touch, then the visitors...visit. Some back and forth possesion then we recover it and go and...Sammi gets a corner despite being harrased by three...and...Wheats gets a chance that results in another corner and.....it goes through to the keeper. The Canaries sally hopefully forth and then sally back again. Beavers clears, Madine tries and Vela does well. They clear, Beevers sends it back and....mic lads have a chat. Beevers again and now Jerome visits and...we clear but too long.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:13 pm

First assault to the Whites, then we go again. They clear and mic lads chat on. Ben scoops the ball up and Madison getting he words in midfield. A Ben wallop and...some more back and forth then....their keeper collects a cross and..some more chat...Little, Ben, they intercept and try a bit of possession. Vela gets in their then back they come again. "Chasing Shadows" mic man says, then Jerome gets in and gets a shot in that Ben says....then Jerome get another shot in, but poor. Er, twice that is for Jerome in a minute? Madine now but it goes out and....mic lads chat again. The Canaries loose out and we get a throw.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Bit of play by us and Beevers wallops one forth. They clear and....Jerome goes offside. Too much Jerome right now. A free kick midway in our half (for us) and.....Sammi, Henry, Little and....he er "dives?" but gets the free kick off Madison. Vela and the keeper grabs that. Back they come via Hoollahan, then Sammi and Prats set Robinson off. To and fro, back and forth and a wallop from their keeper. Robinson nullifies Madison ...and mic lads chat. Meanwhile....the Canaries allow us a throw (Tribal?) Robinson takes, they recover via Pin to and Zimmerman, Reid, pass, pass and Wheats, then Henry clear. Back they come, Wheats clears (poorly?). The Canaries get a free kick via Pratley and....it almost gor through, but Ben was on the mark.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Armstrong, Robinson, then Reid does well and they get a throw. Wheats back to Benn, wallop and...they clear. Wheats, Robinson loss out and...pas. pass and backwards to Tribal and Madison. All them in the possesion stakes and they get a corner. Not sure what our plan is, surely not to let them have it? Corner ends up in a side netting and two mic men are not a good idea. We're here chaps, listening. Back the visitors come and...then again. Madison gettin g plenty mention....and Wheats clears but Little can't capitalise. Soumds like all them, which is worrying, then Wildchuck? comes visiting a couple of times. Comments about us holding the ball instead of walloping. Little throw now and it's all Norwich apparently. Again they vist but Robinson...can't get away. Sammi, then Tribal and Pinto. Robinson gets it back to Ben. We go via Vela who plays a poor ball. Ground control to Major Henry. That's a free kick them.