[Motm Poll added] Does Parky have the Balls to find a winning recipe? Bolton v Norwich 4/11/217

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who was Man of the Match??

Sammi Ameobi
25%
Gary Madine
35%
Ben Alnwick
10%
Karl Henry
15%
Mark Little
10%
Other
5%

Total votes: 20

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Does Parky have the Balls to find a winning recipe? Bolton v Norwich 4/11/217

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:40 pm
We also seem to have a real good player in Will Buckley. He caused problems when he came on and I look forward to seeing more of him. He is a more natural player in that position than Armstrong who I am happy for, scoring that lovely goal.
Thought Buckley was ineffective myself and looked very far from the pace of the game. An odd choice to bring him on at that stage too I thought, given his lack of game time.
Buckley was always going to come on. Pre-game PP, per BN:
Buckley isn’t quite ready to start a game yet but he’s fit enough for the bench. There are games coming up which he’ll need to be involved with to get up to speed because the last thing we want is to get him injured again. He’s a player who has got a lot to offer in terms of creativity and athleticism but he’s got to be ready.

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Does Parky have the Balls to find a winning recipe? Bolton v Norwich 4/11/217

Post by Billbob » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:25 am

I think the team all work for each other getting stuck in very together. Like parkinson said we don't have the money but the desire to get stuck a united front was definitely there on show yesterday. Every player did is top proud, wearing the bage, no prima donnas. I think Robinson, little, Henry and Armstrong are real great additions. I really like robinson getting better by the match. Overall great attributes from the team full stop and a good performance from Ben between the sticks keeping things simple.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am

One for you, D.S.B, : I have wondered quite a bit, just how many goals we have had scored against us in the last five minutes of play-time, or in extra time in any games? . My memory says it's quite a few over a period?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Signing of the season has to be Karl Henry. The guy's absolutely immense. Not only that, he somehow drags a tune out of the hitherto hapless Pratley as well. We all knew that there was a gap to plug in central midfield, and most of us, myself included, were calling for the re-signing of Spearing. Well he can go suck on his Blackpool rock. Again yesterday, Henry absolutely bossed midfield. Exactly what we needed.
Also excellent yesterday were Gary Madine who actually played like we all hoped he one-day might, and Ben Alnwick who gave a masterclass in goalkeeping.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:08 pm
Signing of the season has to be Karl Henry. The guy's absolutely immense. Not only that, he somehow drags a tune out of the hitherto hapless Pratley as well. We all knew that there was a gap to plug in central midfield, and most of us, myself included, were calling for the re-signing of Spearing. Well he can go suck on his Blackpool rock. Again yesterday, Henry absolutely bossed midfield. Exactly what we needed.
Also excellent yesterday were Gary Madine who actually played like we all hoped he one-day might, and Ben Alnwick who gave a masterclass in goalkeeping.

Blimey, Bruce. Bit cheery to today! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:44 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Blimey, Bruce. Bit cheery to today! :D
Bollocks :D

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:57 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/41726541

Good weekend if the scoreline remains the same.

1-0 at the time of posting to Boro.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:10 pm

And Sunderland lose.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Henry is a more complete player than Jay in my view.

Man of the match surely Ameobi yesterday though?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am
One for you, D.S.B, : I have wondered quite a bit, just how many goals we have had scored against us in the last five minutes of play-time, or in extra time in any games? . My memory says it's quite a few over a period?
Although this sort of thing can be suspect to confirmation bias, your memory seems fine. I can’t give you details for the last five minutes - well, not without far more faff than I’ll endure on a Sunday off - but the marvellous Soccerstats.com will happily manipulate the data into 10- or 15-minute segments. And the results are:

From the 81st minute onwards (including added time), we’ve scored 1 and conceded 5. This -4 aggregate is the division’s joint-worst return, with Hull scoring 5 conceding 9.

From the 76th minute onwards, we’ve scored 1 and conceded 9, easily the division’s worst. (If *my* memory serves, our 1 was also pointless - Madine’s meaningless consolation v Derby.)

All goals are not of equal merit, and it could be said that some of these concessions have come when we’ve been chasing the game. And ultimately yesterday’s meant nothing, except that like a college freshman, we still only have one clean sheet.

In slightly irrelevant news, we have spent more minutes (278) in the lead than seven other teams, including Preston: 250 minutes in front, but 21 points to our 11. Told you it was slightly irrelevant. (Burton are bottom of that metric with 111 minutes, then Birmingham 146.)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Henry > Spearing? Absolutely.

Difficult to pick MotM yesterday, and not withstanding Ameobi's contribution I'd go with Madine. I thought his hold up play was outstanding.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:42 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am
Although this sort of thing can be suspect to confirmation bias, your memory seems fine. I can’t give you details for the last five minutes - well, not without far more faff than I’ll endure on a Sunday off - but the marvellous Soccerstats.com will happily manipulate the data into 10- or 15-minute segments. And the results are:

From the 81st minute onwards (including added time), we’ve scored 1 and conceded 5. This -4 aggregate is the division’s joint-worst return, with Hull scoring 5 conceding 9.

From the 76th minute onwards, we’ve scored 1 and conceded 9, easily the division’s worst. (If *my* memory serves, our 1 was also pointless - Madine’s meaningless consolation v Derby.)

All goals are not of equal merit, and it could be said that some of these concessions have come when we’ve been chasing the game. And ultimately yesterday’s meant nothing, except that like a college freshman, we still only have one clean sheet.

In slightly irrelevant news, we have spent more minutes (278) in the lead than seven other teams, including Preston: 250 minutes in front, but 21 points to our 11. Told you it was slightly irrelevant. (Burton are bottom of that metric with 111 minutes, then Birmingham 146.)
Cheers buddy. I know Parky's been lecturing them on the "not over till it's over" theme about careless defending and it is a bit worrying. Hopefully it'll get sorted now. There seems a fresh determination about the side and the playing level improved. Not too sure I'm happy about the break in momentum caused by internationals, but, hey-ho. Thanks again.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Henry > Spearing? Absolutely.

Difficult to pick MotM yesterday, and not withstanding Ameobi's contribution I'd go with Madine. I thought his hold up play was outstanding.
I could go with Madine. He's been excellent this season. One of the hardest working players we've had based on what he's done this year. My frustration is that he's running himself into the ground but we've no credible option to give him a rest in the last 20 minutes. That needs fixing in January.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Iles found it so difficult to split Gaz, Sammy and Little for MOTM that he held a Twitter poll to see what folks thought. It’s 51% Gaz, 36% Sammy at the mo.

Reminder FWIW that the TW thread starter can add a poll.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:33 pm
Irksome that Burton won at Millwall
You could actually look at that as a positive result - at least at this stage of the season (and only coz we also got three points yesterday!) - as it drags Millwall back into the scrap. At 2.59pm yesterday there was a bit of a gap opening up between the bottom four and the rest. A draw would obviously have been ideal but I think I'd rather have a Burton win than a Millwall win. If Bolton and Sunderland both win midweek (and I don't fancy Hull winning, plus Reading have Wolves) then all of a sudden you've got 6/7 teams within three points of each other, which increases the chances of survival.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:54 pm
My frustration is that he's running himself into the ground but we've no credible option to give him a rest in the last 20 minutes. That needs fixing in January.
This is very true - especially as we drift into three games a week territory. It's utterly unrealistic to expect him to be able to play like that for 90 minutes every game. I see we didn't have a single striker on the bench yesterday, unless 'Hall''s one - I've no idea who he is. What's happened to Wilbraham?

Thought Anthoneeeeeeee settled in well after a bit of a nervy start yesterday btw.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:59 pm
Iles found it so difficult to split Gaz, Sammy and Little for MOTM that he held a Twitter poll to see what folks thought. It’s 51% Gaz, 36% Sammy at the mo.

Reminder FWIW that the TW thread starter can add a poll.
Done :)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
My frustration is that he's running himself into the ground but we've no credible option to give him a rest in the last 20 minutes. That needs fixing in January.
This is very true - especially as we drift into three games a week territory. It's utterly unrealistic to expect him to be able to play like that for 90 minutes every game. I see we didn't have a single striker on the bench yesterday, unless 'Hall''s one - I've no idea who he is. What's happened to Wilbraham?

Thought Anthoneeeeeeee settled in well after a bit of a nervy start yesterday btw.
I've never understood this. (I'm not talking any individual player here). I just can't understand the concept that ninety minutes per day once, twice, or even three times a week, is any kind of barrier to a professional. There are people who run up mountains three or four times a week for fun, others that train for marathons on a longer basis per day than footballers put in per week. Not being able to perform for two ninety minute stints per week, every week, tells me you're unfit to play the game (as in unfit to be considered to be paid to play the game on a professional level, because being unfit per se seems to self defining).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:40 pm

I vote for Alnwick coz I thought he saved our arse twice.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Connor Hall is a young striker we signed in the summer after a trial at the end of last season...

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/july/y ... -to-paper/

He played in some pre season games iirc and has recently been impressing in the U23s. Iles reported on him a few days ago:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... iker_Hall/

I agree about the lack of cover. Wilbraham is 38 and even when he is fit, he will struggle to get through 90mins never mind back to back games. ALF would be poor in the No 9 role. I can't see any kind of cover for Henry or Madine. If either of them get injured we are sunk. We would be seriously hurt if Little, Ameobi, Vela or the current version of Pratley get injured or suspended too, as the alternatives would be way weaker.