Reading, righting and a rhythm attack.....At Home to Reading ..21 Nov.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Reading, righting and a rhythm attack.....At Home to Reading ..21 Nov.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:22 pm

We shouldn't be surprised. It's going to be like this all season and every game. Even the bookies don't give crazy odds on anybody because it can all go sweet or sour in a couple of games. Bury are rock bottom of League one; last night they beat the top. We know this, we've seen it often enough. Second half we're chasing the ace and look alive, or first half we get ahead and get complacent. Games last 95 minutes usually and the last fifteen are the quicksands. How many times do we need that lesson after losing goals at the death? Thing is, any plan has to remember there's another team with exactly the same ideas as us. Gary Madine might be more effective if he wasn't doing basketball jumps to get the ball all the time with nobody else in sight. They didn't get at us from goalkicks, did they? Just the opposite, but we need to get forward and pressure teams not sit in our own half inviting them in or just rely on wallop ball. It isn't even us playing badly half the time, we just forget that games have to be won by getting more goals than the opposition and keep getting the lead and trying to extend it instead of a "that'll do" attitude or, it's only......so we should win. . End of day, it's same old, same old; we lose it in midfleld and let them at us. Nothing will change, we just have to try harder. If we had Neymar Junior up front it would be no good unless he got some help. To be honest, our problems aren't down to any one man are they?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:36 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:22 pm
We shouldn't be surprised. It's going to be like this all season and every game. Even the bookies don't give crazy odds on anybody because it can all go sweet or sour in a couple of games. Bury are rock bottom of League one; last night they beat the top. We know this, we've seen it often enough. Second half we're chasing the ace and look alive, or first half we get ahead and get complacent. Games last 95 minutes usually and the last fifteen are the quicksands. How many times do we need that lesson after losing goals at the death? Thing is, any plan has to remember there's another team with exactly the same ideas as us. Gary Madine might be more effective if he wasn't doing basketball jumps to get the ball all the time with nobody else in sight. They didn't get at us from goalkicks, did they? Just the opposite, but we need to get forward and pressure teams not sit in our own half inviting them in or just rely on wallop ball. It isn't even us playing badly half the time, we just forget that games have to be won by getting more goals than the opposition and keep getting the lead and trying to extend it instead of a "that'll do" attitude or, it's only......so we should win. . End of day, it's same old, same old; we lose it in midfleld and let them at us. Nothing will change, we just have to try harder. If we had Neymar Junior up front it would be no good unless he got some help. To be honest, our problems aren't down to any one man are they?
Comes down to not being quite good enough. We're still probably a couple short (and 4 short in the squad) quality wise.

We've sat back on leads for about 3 decades now. Its what happens. Occasionally teams will end up scoring the third and fourth. But even the best teams in the world often end up sitting back on a 2-0. Our weakness is clinically seeing out that score. For me most of the time if you're 2-0 you SHOULD win the game. But we're not quite good enough at stopping teams either by being solidly resolute OR by being able to retain possession. Comes down to the overall quality we've got I'm afraid. As much an improvement that Henry has offered. He and Pratley are playing well, but still its very one dimensional. Once teams are on top against us its hard work.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 am

PP, per BN:
It’s not a great feeling but I felt comfortable with how we were playing in the game, I really did. Before the first goal I was trying to bring (Will) Buckley on but not because Adam Armstrong wasn’t doing well – he was great – but I thought it might give us a lift. I felt we were in a good place in the game. Obviously goals change the mind-set, on the pitch and around the ground, and ultimately we got punished on the second one, which was a little lack of concentration.

I didn’t think they were hitting the bar, the post or Ben was making save after save – I felt we were doing what we did in the first half, really, accepting they’ll roll the ball out at the back and have period s of possession but we were disciplined in our play and we were coping well. I'm just disappointed we weren’t able to see the game through.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 am
PP, per BN:
It’s not a great feeling but I felt comfortable with how we were playing in the game, I really did. Before the first goal I was trying to bring (Will) Buckley on but not because Adam Armstrong wasn’t doing well – he was great – but I thought it might give us a lift. I felt we were in a good place in the game. Obviously goals change the mind-set, on the pitch and around the ground, and ultimately we got punished on the second one, which was a little lack of concentration.

I didn’t think they were hitting the bar, the post or Ben was making save after save – I felt we were doing what we did in the first half, really, accepting they’ll roll the ball out at the back and have period s of possession but we were disciplined in our play and we were coping well. I'm just disappointed we weren’t able to see the game through.
He should have freshened it up earlier. Easy to say in hindsight, but when the other team is dominating the ball, the might not be peppering you but it just takes one moment to make things very nervy. Fresh runners might have got us on the ball just a bit more. I thought Ameobi was tired by half time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:58 pm
He likes his stats, does Parky, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't aware that from the 76th minute onwards we have scored 1 and conceded 11. (Perhaps amazingly, that's not the worst concession rate – Hull have shipped 12 late goals, but they've scored eight.)
So that's now scored 1, conceded 13. Hull still worse - they conceded two more late on (they were 2-0 up at home to Bristol City with 25 minutes to go and lost), so they're "ahead" of us with 14. Those are the only two 15(+addedtime)-minute segments in which any team in the division has conceded double figures.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:06 pm

That’s the awesome ex premiere league Hull City who will surely get promoted, or at least that’s what we said when they battered us in August.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:06 pm
That’s the awesome ex premiere league Hull City who will surely get promoted, or at least that’s what we said when they battered us in August.
The very same, friend. Who we'd be three points above if we hadn't dropped eight points in a month from winning positions. Gah, bother and bugger, etc. But I'm very glad to see another team struggling; it's another potential corpse to scramble over if we manage to win some. After 19 games last season Cardiff had 19 points and were in the bottom three; this season Millwall have 19 from 19 and are (ooh!) 19th, five points clear of the drop zone with Hull and Birmingham as buffers. Seems there's more bad teams this season, which includes us, but it gives me hope.

Tables after 19 games, this year and last:
tables.jpg
tables.jpg (352.29 KiB) Viewed 6539 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Absolutely. It is so annoying - we have one of the worst squads in this league, of course. But squad and manager wise we are settled and haven’t half chucked some points away. If we were a bit more ruthless and could see a game out we would be out of the bottom three. If we were getting tanked like Saturday every week you would take it - as it is I can’t help but wonder if we are making the most of this opportunity. Would like to think we could finish above other poor teams (millwall ffs). Not sure if we have it in us though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:48 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 pm
Absolutely. It is so annoying - we have one of the worst squads in this league, of course. But squad and manager wise we are settled and haven’t half chucked some points away. If we were a bit more ruthless and could see a game out we would be out of the bottom three. If we were getting tanked like Saturday every week you would take it - as it is I can’t help but wonder if we are making the most of this opportunity. Would like to think we could finish above other poor teams (millwall ffs). Not sure if we have it in us though.
Its what happens to teams not quite good enough. I mean first 11 games 2 points. Even if we'd gone at a disappointing 0.75PPG in that period we'd be on ~ 19 points now and out of it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 pm
It's an interesting, curious contrast to two years ago, or (for those with longer memories) other terrible seasons like 1995/96. (Actually in 95/96 we were f*cking dreadful until New Year's Day when we hooked McFarland and, importantly, hired Ian Porterfield as a proper coach; after that, we had better form than five other teams but we'd left it too late. We got 10pts from 22 under Roy, 19pts from 16 afterwards.)

This isn't, yet, a terrible season. But weirdly, it might end up even more annoying because of it: not being outclassed, but wasting opportunities.