There'll be Bluebirds all over the White Men at Bolton, tomorrow, just you wait and see... Cardiff (h) 23/12

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: There'll be Bluebirds all over the White Men at Bolton, tomorrow, just you wait and see... Cardiff (h) 23/12

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Merry fkin Christmas!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There'll be Bluebirds all over the White Men at Bolton, tomorrow, just you wait and see... Cardiff (h) 23/12

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Lovely. Ratchets up Vela’s price tag if anyone is “circling”. Three very welcome points go some way toward rectifying last week’s awful result, although not quite halfway - we’ve still got three points from the two games, it doesn’t remove any of the three Burton got last week and I see they’ve gained the confidence to give Reading a tougher test than if we’d beaten them.

But anyways, a win is always welcome. Happy Christmas and here’s to a 2018 with more Cardiffs than Burtons.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:02 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:46 pm
I've just wet meself.
I've got stuff you wouldn't want to know about all over the place. 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There'll be Bluebirds all over the White Men at Bolton, tomorrow, just you wait and see...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:05 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 pm
They have a manager who knows this how to be successful in this league, a defence that has conceded 16 in 22, and they have won 5 of the last 6.

We have just lost to the then bottom team at home, and have a defence that could seemingly be improved if Dame Vera herself was selected in it.

So it's obvious: 1-0 to us :)

Btw I am assuming this is the match thread? Might be worth sticking a "Cardiff (h) 23/12" in the title??
You are Nostradamus, and I claim my £5
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Apparently Colin Wanker has never won a game at our place. Shame that :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Crap game until the last 20 minutes. Then Madine and Ameobi started looking like world-beaters.

Not arsed about whys and wherefores or anything else. We've just beaten Cardiff 2-0 right before Christmas. That's all that matters to me!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Fantastic 3 points. Well done chaps!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Surprising 3 points and boy how we needed them given the performance of the teams around us. Brings Hull and Barnsley into the relegation battle too. Poor first half but better second half where Madine and Ameobi became unplayable. A big shout out to Andy Taylor who had a real solid game at left back. Wheater was also solid.

Big problems in central midfield where Vela was again absent. Henry and Pratley bent on going backwards.

Looked very organised at the back so PP must be given some credit for the changes he made. We will need this discipline in the tough away games coming up. Christmas has become a whole lot better.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:19 pm

We dug in, and hung in the game. Which we've not done enough at times this season.

Have to say defensively Taylor made a huge difference. Robinson was a walking disaster so was great to have Taylor back.

We did nowt going forwards until we scored. Good thing is that at 1-0 we carried on taking the game to them which was great to see.

Make no bones about this, Cardiff were shocking. One of the worst teams I've seen here this season. I'm scratching my head how the team second in the league haven't managed an effort on target against us and whilst we were resolute we were far from great. They had fifteen minutes second half where we were camped in our half and they still didn't muster a solitary effort.

Last twenty minutes, Madine and Ameobi were sensational. Like a switch turned on. Think Ameobi was wound up by the number of times thy cynically hacked him down.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:07 pm
Apparently Colin Wanker has never won a game at our place. Shame that :D
And this after the fuss he kicked up when Parky said we’d been beaten by the champions at Wolves.

(He has beaten us when we’ve visited him at at least three clubs: the 1987 Scarborough 4-0, the 1990 play-off at Notts County and NYD 2013 at Leeds. But he didn’t win today, and that’s fine by me.)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:19 pm
Make no bones about this, Cardiff were shocking. One of the worst teams I've seen here this season. I'm scratching my head how the team second in the league haven't managed an effort on target against us and whilst we were resolute we were far from great. They had fifteen minutes second half where we were camped in our half and they still didn't muster a solitary effort.
First home clean sheet, at the 12th attempt (13th including the League Cup). Would be nice to rekindle that habit.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Haven't been for a while, so view from the outside:

Negatives first - I'll plait fog if there were 15k there today. Very empty, noticeably so compared to my last home game (Scunthorpe last year). £28 a fecking ticket two days before Xmas might well have something to do with it. No doubt the gobshite will be whinging in his next column, mind.

Wasn't a great have by any stretch, two resolute teams without much quality on the ball. They're second in the league and they didn't have a sniff all game, not even a half chance. Massive credit to the back four, and particularly Taylor who was motm by miles for me.

At the other end we huffed and we puffed but it was pretty woeful. Karl Henry is by no means a brilliant footballer on the ball, in fact he's a clogging destroyer, but seeing him alongside Darren really does underline quite how shite we've had it for the last six years. Cannot wait to get rid of that fecking lump. Henry isn't going to cut people open but he'll try to get it down from the sky and give it. Pratley just hits anything he sees.

Vela pretty anonymous but it's hard when it's over your neck both ways. Worked hard to support Madine and took his goal well.

As I said, for 65 mins it was a poor game, always going to be decided by a set piece or a mistake and in the end it was both. Feck knows what Bamba was doing. Had no confidence Nadine would score but really good pen. Then it was like a switch flicked and he and Ameobi were unplayable from then. Really good composure from Nadine for Vela's goal too, he was coming in on goal from an angle with an absolute age and would've been easy to panic and fluff it.

That XI is good enough to stay up, without a shadow of a doubt, but there's probably only Buckley we could replace without seriously weakening us (apart from Alnwick, but that's coz they're both equally shite). Rest of the squad really is paper thin. Pratley and Alnwick probably the weakest links (though I'd be astonished if we signed a keeper). CM, competition for Nadine, and a versatile defender would be nice. Little probably the least replaceable right now (a combination of how good he is - pretty good- and how bad Darby is - fecking awful).

Gonna be tough over Christmas. Have that XI got the legs in them?

Good to see Turner on the bench, he's definitely there physically, would love to see him get a go against Huddersfield.

Really good clean sheet that. Cardiff were far from great but they have pace going forward and are a real threat from set pieces, we stood up really well and gave them nothing.

All in all really good win that. Reasons to be cheerful.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Make no bones about this, Cardiff were shocking.
Know what, that was the very least of my concerns when the final whistle blew. A win, three points and the rest is pure insignificance. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Well feck me! I'm quite stunned and loving the result. I've even been to the trouble of going to Home Bargains for a bag of popcorn. It's opened and I'm now sat here waiting for Bruce to appear and lavish praise on Madine........
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:42 pm
Haven't been for a while, so view from the outside:

Negatives first - I'll plait fog if there were 15k there today. Very empty, noticeably so compared to my last home game (Scunthorpe last year). £28 a fecking ticket two days before Xmas might well have something to do with it. No doubt the gobshite will be whinging in his next column, mind.

Wasn't a great have by any stretch, two resolute teams without much quality on the ball. They're second in the league and they didn't have a sniff all game, not even a half chance. Massive credit to the back four, and particularly Taylor who was motm by miles for me.

At the other end we huffed and we puffed but it was pretty woeful. Karl Henry is by no means a brilliant footballer on the ball, in fact he's a clogging destroyer, but seeing him alongside Darren really does underline quite how shite we've had it for the last six years. Cannot wait to get rid of that fecking lump. Henry isn't going to cut people open but he'll try to get it down from the sky and give it. Pratley just hits anything he sees.

Vela pretty anonymous but it's hard when it's over your neck both ways. Worked hard to support Madine and took his goal well.

As I said, for 65 mins it was a poor game, always going to be decided by a set piece or a mistake and in the end it was both. Feck knows what Bamba was doing. Had no confidence Nadine would score but really good pen. Then it was like a switch flicked and he and Ameobi were unplayable from then. Really good composure from Nadine for Vela's goal too, he was coming in on goal from an angle with an absolute age and would've been easy to panic and fluff it.

That XI is good enough to stay up, without a shadow of a doubt, but there's probably only Buckley we could replace without seriously weakening us (apart from Alnwick, but that's coz they're both equally shite). Rest of the squad really is paper thin. Pratley and Alnwick probably the weakest links (though I'd be astonished if we signed a keeper). CM, competition for Nadine, and a versatile defender would be nice. Little probably the least replaceable right now (a combination of how good he is - pretty good- and how bad Darby is - fecking awful).

Gonna be tough over Christmas. Have that XI got the legs in them?

Good to see Turner on the bench, he's definitely there physically, would love to see him get a go against Huddersfield.

Really good clean sheet that. Cardiff were far from great but they have pace going forward and are a real threat from set pieces, we stood up really well and gave them nothing.

All in all really good win that. Reasons to be cheerful.
Funny thing watching football. For me Pratley was excellent today whereas Henry by his standards a little sub par.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Don't particularly mean today, by his standards he was decent, ran around like a mad nice person and hit anything near him as far away as he could. I'm not so much saying he was bad, as he *is* bad. Even his booking it was easier to get the ball but the clumsy c*nt managed to meg himself and clatter their guy. I fecking hate him. Henry will head things away but he's looking to get it down if he can, and give it simple. Pratley just can't play football. There was a point in the first half where Vela picked up a headed clearance, stepped inside his man, looked to spread it until Darren, enter stage left, came out of nowhere to nice person it pointlessly over Nadine. I'm not suggesting we drop him for a pretty West Ham kid, but undoubtedly part of the reason we struggle to create anything is that Karl Henry is the best person we've got to get the ball of the back four. While he's in the team, we're always going to be reliant on the long stuff into Nadine because we just can't play through the middle. I'm not suggesting dropping him mind, there's no-one else to come in who wouldn't weaken us, but CM is absolute no:1 priority for me in Jan. Someone with presence to work alongside Henry but with a bit more on the ball. THey don't have to be Modric, just good enough to play football professionally.

On Henry, I thought he was a clogging lump before he turned up here, but been really impressed with what I've seen. Thought he was quietly very good today, just lots of brains, lost count of the number of times he filled in at full back or out wide and managed to slow a break down. Didn't even get himself pointlessly booked within 10 mins which was nice.

The Pratley- Henry thing in my first post, I'm not really saying Henry was a 10/10 today and showed Darren up, I'm just saying it really contrasted what a proper midfielder looks like. The little moments through a game. Can't believe we've had to put up with that since before the London Olympics.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 pm

See Colin is as gracious in defeat as ever :lol:
Neil Warnock wrote: With the penalty, it's hit his hand and we've no complaints about that - but deliberate handball? Come on!

"I think you know when it's a penalty and they were really fortunate to get that.

"When you come up against a side like Bolton you need a strong referee and I think he was weak today. I thought some of the challenges were horrendous early doors and I think we've had more bookings than them.

"With Tomlin I took him off at 2-0 and I could see what [Karl] Henry and Pratley were doing to wind him up and get him sent off, so why not get him off? We'd lost the points, we didn't want to lose a player as well
Ages since anyone's called us "a side like Bolton", will take that.

Pen was absolute stone wall. Jumped with Wheater with his arm above his head, lost the header and handled it. They're always a pen.

They seemed to get really aggrieved after their goal was ruled out in the first half. He was miiiiiles offside but the lino (who was wank) took forever to give it and so I guess they felt hard done by. Whinged like f*ck about everything after that, which is unlike a Warnock team.

Also, mega lols at Greg Halford. Sondico boots and a long throw. Made Darren look like he had a touch.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:58 pm
Well feck me! I'm quite stunned and loving the result. I've even been to the trouble of going to Home Bargains for a bag of popcorn. It's opened and I'm now sat here waiting for Bruce to appear and lavish praise on Madine........
:lol: I had to miss today's game with a bossted foot, so have no idea as to how he played. Enjoy the own-brand popcorn from your favourite store :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 pm
See Colin is as gracious in defeat as ever :lol:
Neil Warnock wrote: With the penalty, it's hit his hand and we've no complaints about that - but deliberate handball? Come on!

"I think you know when it's a penalty and they were really fortunate to get that.

"When you come up against a side like Bolton you need a strong referee and I think he was weak today. I thought some of the challenges were horrendous early doors and I think we've had more bookings than them.

"With Tomlin I took him off at 2-0 and I could see what [Karl] Henry and Pratley were doing to wind him up and get him sent off, so why not get him off? We'd lost the points, we didn't want to lose a player as well
Ages since anyone's called us "a side like Bolton", will take that.

Pen was absolute stone wall. Jumped with Wheater with his arm above his head, lost the header and handled it. They're always a pen.

They seemed to get really aggrieved after their goal was ruled out in the first half. He was miiiiiles offside but the lino (who was wank) took forever to give it and so I guess they felt hard done by. Whinged like f*ck about everything after that, which is unlike a Warnock team.

Also, mega lols at Greg Halford. Sondico boots and a long throw. Made Darren look like he had a touch.
Haven't seen a replay but wasn't his hand well above his head when the ball struck it? From where I sat it looked an absolute nailed on cert.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Warnock said..:

"With Tomlin I took him off at 2-0 and I could see what [Karl] Henry and Pratley were doing to wind him up and get him sent off, so why not get him off? We'd lost the points, we didn't want to lose a player as well"

No new song from Warnock. I can remember him way back calling Kev Davies a "Clever lad" at getting fouls against his players.
All part of the managerial armoury in case of a loss. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?